Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60s Morris Mini Cooper Racer

Randy Kern

This is the Tamiya 1/24 scale Morris Mini Cooper race version. It was built out-of-box except for the engine detailing. the paint is Dupli-Color Medium Maui Blue Metallic. Instead of the usual bright white roof top, I went with an off-white color to give it a different, old style look. I gave the Minilite wheels (10" Dia.!) a polished aluminum look with Rustoleum 'chrome' spray. This is a neat older full detail kit that was fun to build. The Mini Cooper has quite a proud racing heritage, winning many circuit championships, including consecutive Monte Carlo Rallies from 1964-1967. The original 'Italian Job' movie showed just how tough these little beasts were! Thanks for looking.

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

Good work, neat little car, love the colour.

I finished the modern equivalent of the Cooper this summer and finally managed to find one of these Tamiya kits a month ago. Looking forward to it as a winter build. While I was originally considering green your metallic blue one has really attracted my interest in a similar colour.

Robw

I have a '65 Cooper S that's my daily driver. It's like a gokart with a roof!

My friends with Porsches and Corvettes laugh until I let them drive it. They have to go 100 mph to get the same feeling out of their car I can get going to the store.

Great Build, i love these Mni Kits, there so much fun to build, the colour suits it well, which is very close to the late 80's colour they painted the Mini's in, Zircon blue if i remember correctly ....

Still have a few more of these to build .....

Great job! This is by far my favorite British car. Definitely the only one I would think about putting in my 1:1 garage! :P It would be really cool to see a 1:1 one of these at the meeting tomorrow drifting around the dirt oval! Can't wait to see it, and I'll make sure to bring a magnifying glass! :lol:

What a nice cutesy little car Randy! I love the paint and details!

I have a kit of the 1/12 Tamiya ones................just dug out of the basement after a near miss with a wet floor from the heavy rains a few weeks ago.

............And yes Harry, you'd never think it was 1/12 as tiny as that car is!! B)

That's such a tiny car, I bet even the "big one" is still small! :P

Funny you mention that Harry, I've got the 1/10th scale RC model Rover Mini-Cooper from Tamiya and sometimes take it to work You wouldn't believe how many people have told me that they thought it was anywhere from 1/12-1/18 scale because they didn't realise these cars are that small!