Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you keep your instructions?

I have been modeling since I was quite young, like 10 or so and I have this one thing that I do and that is I keep all my instructions for the kits that I do. I have many instructions going as far back as the early 80's of kits that I have done over the years, including cars, planes, boats, spaceships, gundam, tanks and even just oddball stuff. I have them all set up in folders by company brands and I have a whole file box full of them that I have been carting around with me right from the beginning. 

Wondering if this is weird or if there is anyone else out there who is similar? Find it kind of odd that I have been carting this box of instructions around for 40 years! 

I sometimes keep my instructions. IPMS rules for box stock mandate that the instructions be with the model, so if I might enter a model in that class, I keep them. Sometimes, I don't build all parts of a kit. If there is a left-over say, a tractor, I'll put the parts in a baggie with the instructions so I can put it together at a later date. 

I did not used to, but have been saving them from the last 7 years or so when I started seeing them online and thought that in the vent someone could use them, I would pass them along, or scan them. Prior to that, I would only save sections(Such as motors as previously mentioned) or if there were particularly interesting. Now, I just flod them back up, and store them alphabetically in those cardboard magazine shelf organizers.

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for all the different points of view and it is awesome to see I am not totally alone on this one. Currently all of mine are in storage but I will one day go and actually count how many I have done over the years. Would be interesting to know.

I would love to keep boxes and everything but I have never lived in one spot for too long and so being mobile is always important. I keep my bulk of them in storage but even when I lived in Hong Kong or in the Philippines, I kept all my instructions and added them to the pile when I got back to Canada. Always thought I was a little odd on this but good to see I am not the only one out there. 

Thanks for all the input guys!

I've been keeping instructions, decals, are boxes since the mid eighties. Instructions in one plastic container, decals in another, and boxes in the attic. If I'm building an old kit and the instructions are frail, I make a copy to use for the build process. Sometimes, I do that anyway, and use a red marker to keep up with what I've done. Works pretty well for a sheet that shows a lot of different options.

I save them too - but Lord knows why.  If I’ve already built the kit I don’t need them any more, if someone is missing a set you can find them online easily and if I was going to build another identical kit the new one I’m building would likely come with directions anyway ?

I've run into this twice....I bought a kit...it was missing the instructions. Bought another kit so I would have a sheet for both kits. The other instance...I bought two brand new, sealed AMT '70 Impala kits, to do a before and after diorama. One of those kits was missing the instructions.

So...it does happen.

Oh, as for the boxes, I often end up using the bottom box to sort sub assemblies or use them for WIPs, or if I buy a bagged kit, or kit in old flimsy box etc. I will sometimes keep older boxes as they are, in case someone else wants them, otherwise, most common boxes etc get pitched.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
typo