Model Cars Magazine Forum

KENWORTH X 2 K123 & K100 Aerodyne

Hi folks, got a little bit more done on the K123, painted the engine and did a little more detailing to it, I am still not 100% happy with the Cummins colour, it looked fine until it dried, it will have to do though, once it is weathered a bit it should be ok, at the end of the day it is supposed to be a refurbished block, so I can blame it on the paint shop!

The truck is supposed to represent the first Kenworth bought by the company (second hand) and has been totally refurbished and updated a little, it is still earning its keep during the week but is a show truck at the weekend, all totally ficticious  but for me it gives me a reason why the truck looks the way it does when it is finished, so it will only be very lightly weathered, should get quite a bit more done this next week, fingers crossed, cheers to all who are sticking with this slow build. 

SAM_4179.JPG

SAM_4181.JPG

Made a little more progress over the last week, got the Cummins twin/t for the Aerodyne up to the same stage as the one for the K123, both builds are further on but I need to upload the photo's to the computer, maybe this weekend?

Thanks for watching Torsten, look forward to seeing some of your work. 

SAM_4180.JPG

SAM_4182.JPG

SAM_4183.JPG

SAM_4185.JPG

On 7/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, CRUSADER2 said:

Hi folks, got a little bit more done on the K123, painted the engine and did a little more detailing to it, I am still not 100% happy with the Cummins colour, it looked fine until it dried, it will have to do though, once it is weathered a bit it should be ok, at the end of the day it is supposed to be a refurbished block, so I can blame it on the paint shop!

The truck is supposed to represent the first Kenworth bought by the company (second hand) and has been totally refurbished and updated a little, it is still earning its keep during the week but is a show truck at the weekend, all totally ficticious  but for me it gives me a reason why the truck looks the way it does when it is finished, so it will only be very lightly weathered, should get quite a bit more done this next week, fingers crossed, cheers to all who are sticking with this slow build. 

SAM_4179.JPG

SAM_4181.JPG

I chuckled when I read your comment "it'll have to do" about THAT engine. It's fantastic! Brilliant job mate, not just here but through the whole job, the chassis the wiring and plumbing etc... 

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly slowly getting there, you will probably have noticed that the air intake caps are a bit off centre with the intake pipes, they are not fixed as are the top pipe's of the exhaust stacks as I will be sure to catch them and do a lot more damage before I finish the rest of the truck, I will glue them on as the last job.

SAM_4188.JPG

SAM_4192.JPG

SAM_4191.JPG

SAM_4189.JPG

SAM_4193.JPG

Hi Brian and Tom, thanks for the encouraging feedback guy's much appreciated, finally got started on the cab now, done a few bits for the interior and de-chromed the grab rails as well as adding an extra step at the bottom, the cab has been raised a scale 5 inches supposedly during restoration and updating.

The console for above windscreen and the two storage shelves for the sleeper are all new and were made in the workshop (ficticious) I also made a new gear stick, the A M T one was a little bit vague to say the least, there did not seem to be a roof air con unit in the kit and it looked a bit empty up top so I sorted that, I made new mirrors to represent European spec types and the twin headlight's are from the Revell Aerodyne kit to represent 7" lenses, the two double spot lamp units for the cab roof in the first photo probably won't be used as things are a bit full up there, I will use the five running lights instead.

SAM_4196.JPG

SAM_4197.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JT, finally got round to taking a few photo's of progress on the K123, the model is almost finished but I am behind with the photo's.

Here are a few of the interior of the cab, I am not too happy with the finish of the dash board, my eye's aren't what they used to be, I will change it later now that I have found the dash board etchings by Moluminum for both the Kenworth's, the only thing that I will need to change on them will be to add Tachographs, I will also order the etched radiator grill's for both at the same time, I think one of them is out of stock at the moment but I can wait, the big problem is that I have run out of liquid glue, I am going to have to try and find it here in France as there is no chance of getting back to Britain at the moment, there must be a good model shop here somewhere.

SAM_4210.JPG

SAM_4212.JPG

SAM_4211.JPG

SAM_4213.JPG

Nice work indeed.

You know the dash board in the K100 Aerodyne kit is wrong don't you?
The kits has a regular K100 dash board but when the Aerodyne COE cab came Kenworth did a different dash board from the regular K100 wich AMT and Revell Germany didn't do in their kits as all have the regular K100 dash board, and as far as I know a correct dash board for the Aerodyne COE is not available from anyone on the aftermarket either, so if you want to do it correct you have to do some scratchbuilding.

Here is a topic on the matter.

Edited by Force

Thanks for the kind comment J T but have you seen the dash boards on the models made by Jurgen Kowalski, the Mack that is on the finished under glass section are out of this world, a real master class in modeling, i will definatley try his technique for dashboards on my next scratch build, which might have to be for the K100 Aerodyne.

Hi Hakan

I have not started work on the interior for the Aerodyne yet, i was hoping that someone might have had a go at casting a correct dash by now as it is over a year since you posted those photo's, i suppose there is a limited demand and it is not worth all the work involved, thanks for posting those photo's, i kept them on the back burner from last year just in case i had to scratch build, the photo's will be invaluable, please let me know if you spot any errors on my models as i know you are the go to guy on anything Kenworth, bearing in mind that i do use quite a lot of artistic license.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Torsten, sorry for not replying sooner, haven't posted for a while, have been busy modelling though, managed to keep things moving after I managed to find some Humbrol poly cement in a local toy shop, I haven't used this type of glue since I last built plastic kits as a kid and teenager, god its hard work and dangerous, but better than no glue at all, no major disasters so far! ( really miss my Plastic Weld) I have been using super glue as well for some parts but I think i have some liquid glue on the way ( Tamyia quick dry I think) if anybody has any experience with this glue I would welcome some feedback, I have put both builds on hold just for the next week as I am waiting for some item's from K F S ( mainly exhaust stacks and resin exhaust system for the K100) as well as the glue, I have been working on the interior of the Aerodyne, this is causing me a few headache's because I can't build it in the way I usually work on cab interior's, because it is split above the top of the windows its difficult to know which parts to fix first and where to stop so that you don't cause problems later, the big problem though is that I don't have enough of the diamond pattern upholstery to finish off the interior, I do need to find another Revell Aerodyne kit to finish this one off, I need the upholstery plus the cab entry hand rails as I used those from the kit for the K123, I need the Cummins twin t 475 for another project and the chassis for the next build ( Kenworth ) any way that's enough rambling for one evening, a few photo's of progress on the Aerodyne   

SAM_4249.JPG

SAM_4250.JPG

SAM_4251.JPG

Well... Not sure what's available in France, but I use something called MEK or MEK substitute.... Can be had at any hardware store, here in the States... It works just like plastic weld... Melts the plastic very easily in about the same time as the Plastruct  or Tenax stuff, and WAY cheaper... You might try to locate some of that... I just transfer a little to an empty bottle and use it the same way... Now, it does require some good ventilation to use, but it does work... Tesla turned me onto this stuff... Thanks, Bud... I haven't even missed plastic weld...

#######################20201107_204533.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Thanks for the info JT , can't say that I have seen that over here but I will have a look, not every where is open at the moment though as we are in lockdown again.

That looks like a really interesting product Haken, I knew I had seen some on one of the after market sites but I think it was embossed plastic sheet, that looks like it would be good for fitting around curves etc, and thanks for posting those photo's of the K100 dash again, I used them as a reference as well as some video's of various K100 s, only problem was that I ended up working off two different video's on two separate evenings and only realised after that the two dash were slightly different, there was a change to the windscreen air vent's as well as to the area around the gear stick so now I think I have a mix of the two, this is where having your own workshops comes in (modelers licence) the truck would have been upgraded at some time in it's working life I think, that's my excuse anyway.

Thanks for the kind comments Doug & Torsten 

SAM_4045.JPG