Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO, Cannonball Run Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Sarge's truck 379 Pete.

While I may be moving along, this is only half of the build. The trailer is going to be very involved also. I have more done, I got the lights on the hood, lights on the roof, exhaust is made and the tubes routed. I got the glass in, the fronts are sprayed with some flat clear to look dirty. The rest of the truck will get dirtied up too. I have the cab all glued, the sleeper is attached and finished. I am almost ready to final assemble this and get to work on the weathering. Weathering will be fairly light as this truck is in good shape, but in the show it is very dusty and dirty. So, no rust or damage, just lightly used. 

I don't know what they were thinking with the exhaust, but the TV truck has those crazy double stacks, and in the show they are covered in a bronze/rusty color. I guess in Hollywood you just add stuff for no reason to make it look cool or from another planet. 

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

So, the truck is 99% done, I still have to add the tracks to the top of the fender like the TV truck. My Armor building buddy just sent me a set from an M1A1. 

I got the new trailer I ordered and it is coming along. The sides are groved, but not on the TV truck, they are smooth. So, I had to turn the walls inside out. I also had to shorten the trailer by a scale 8 feet to make it a 40 foot trailer. 

For work I work on and install waterjet cutting machines. 60,000psi of water cutting pressure. I finished up the install of one today and needed to do some testing. What better way than to cut out some styrene for my trailer. The TV truck has these strange linked rings on both sides of it, I cut some out today as I could never replicate these with an X-acto. Kind of fun to be able to make stuff like this. 

Keep in mind the picture is up close and these are sitting on the screen of an IPhone 7. They still need a little clean up, but still way better than I could do myself. 

IMG_0727.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

10 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Awesome project, and the outcome is great, even it is not finished yet.

I don't know the movie, but the Pete looks really brutal.

Did you scratch the engines with airplane parts on the top of the sleeper?

Hermann.

I don't know what the "engines" on top of the sleeper are for, or even what they really are, but I made them out of a 55 gallon drum from the AMT Ford C600 kit, some 3/4 CPVC pipe and some electrical wire nuts, a bendy straw and some parts from the Ghostbusters car. 

The truck is from a TV show, it was in the show all season, but was only in about 1/3 of the episodes. I wish they would have showed it more. A lot of the time it was shown, it was in the trailer section. 

BTW, my company sells a Waterjet that could be used in any home/Garage. It is 240V/30A powered and just hooks up to a garden hose. I wish I could afford one, but at $22K they are a bit out of my "Hobby" budget. So as not to promote something like that here I will not go into any more details, but if interested, PM me. 

Wow  !!!! 

Your build is rolling right along . The shorter trailer will look good behind your truck, and already can see the apocalyptic look coming 

Tank tracks on fenders  !!! Nice I doubt the real tins could support the weight of those without massive supports but it's part of the insane looks of the build well done 

Edited by gotnitro?

16 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Wow  !!!! 

Your build is rolling right along . The shorter trailer will look good behind your truck, and already can see the apocalyptic look coming 

Tank tracks on fenders  !!! Nice I doubt the real tins could support the weight of those without massive supports but it's part of the insane looks of the build well done 

The TV truck uses plastic/rubber tracks from a snowmobile, but there are none in scale. So, I had to use the next closest thing I could find. My buddy sent me these from a 1/35 scale M1A1. 

20 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I don't know what the "engines" on top of the sleeper are for, or even what they really are, but I made them out of a 55 gallon drum from the AMT Ford C600 kit, some 3/4 CPVC pipe and some electrical wire nuts, a bendy straw and some parts from the Ghostbusters car. 

The truck is from a TV show, it was in the show all season, but was only in about 1/3 of the episodes. I wish they would have showed it more. A lot of the time it was shown, it was in the trailer section. 

BTW, my company sells a Waterjet that could be used in any home/Garage. It is 240V/30A powered and just hooks up to a garden hose. I wish I could afford one, but at $22K they are a bit out of my "Hobby" budget. So as not to promote something like that here I will not go into any more details, but if interested, PM me. 

Hi Scott,

Thank you for explaining the construction of the "engines".

The waterjet is a cool tool, but for 22K for a hobby.....no, in that case i have some other things on my wish list.?

Anyway, i was searching for the sarge truck, because i was pretty curious, i found this clip, maybe you saw it already and if not, maybe it is nice to see the whole truck from the outside.

The outside scene starts at 3.05 min.?

Sarge's Truck

Hermann.

9 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for explaining the construction of the "engines".

The waterjet is a cool tool, but for 22K for a hobby.....no, in that case i have some other things on my wish list.?

Anyway, i was searching for the sarge truck, because i was pretty curious, i found this clip, maybe you saw it already and if not, maybe it is nice to see the whole truck from the outside.

The outside scene starts at 3.05 min.?

Sarge's Truck

Hermann.

Thank you for finding that clip. It has a lot more details in it than I have been able to find anywhere else. Like the back door. I had always assumed it was a standard door, but now I see it is not. I can also see a few other things I need to go back and fix. 

I will be saving that clip and using it a lot. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on the road the last several weeks and so my bench time has been cut to a fraction of what it was. That is why I got so much done in the beginning, I had a lot of time at home. 

I did get some work done on the trailer. The video showed an angle of the trailer I could not find in pictures. This required me to take the back of the trailer off and redo it. It has a door on the back, but not a roll up, it is a man door, like on a house. I still have a few more details to do, but it is closer to the TV truck now. 

I was in San Diego this last week, so I was able to stop by a hobby shop and pick up some more Evergreen to finish up the missing details on the rest of the trailer. 

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

You just gotta love Hollywood. For every movie and TV show they have more than one Hero/villain vehicle. In my case this make things very difficult to replicate the TV truck when there are at least 2 and they are not the same. I have pictures from the show both showing the left side of the trailer and in 2 scenes just minutes apart the whole left side of the trailer is different. The action is happening so quick that when seeing the show, you just don't catch it, but when I am attempting to recreate it, it is very frustrating. I am having to just pick one and go with it. 

The truck even has different rear wheels depending on the scene. Luckily in several scenes it has the ones I have in the kit. 

More progress has been made in spite of the "Hollywood" issues. 

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

I got a bit more done this weekend. I was able to finish some of the details on the trailer and get a first coat of paint on it. I still need to find something for the center of the round vents on the side. I still have some tweaks and corrections on the cab to do. Once I get those done I can do some light weathering on both and it will be done. 

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to BRBO, Cannonball Run Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Sarge's truck 379 Pete.