Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Bernard Kron

My Models for 2019

Recommended Posts

Thanks again to you all. I'm glad you all dig them!

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Your bare-metal 32 puzzles me... Is-it an application of Bare Metal Foil, or do you have a secret technique to get that finish... Just curious...

CT

It's my "secret sauce" which I shared here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bernard!

Thank you for the link to your previous post. Very interesting. I find the PU cab VERY convincing. Bravo!

Now: I'm lost as to that "Kosutte Gin Sang" powder... Where would I find that, never even read about it! I remember the old Metalizers paints (RIP)... taken off the market because of concerns with the lead they contained. But Kosutte? Please explain further if you will. 

Many thanks!

CT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Bernard!

Thank you for the link to your previous post. Very interesting. I find the PU cab VERY convincing. Bravo!

Now: I'm lost as to that "Kosutte Gin Sang" powder... Where would I find that, never even read about it! I remember the old Metalizers paints (RIP)... taken off the market because of concerns with the lead they contained. But Kosutte? Please explain further if you will. 

Many thanks!

CT

Around 2010 there was a lot of buzz about Work Kosutte Ginsang as the total solution to home chroming. Paint the part (flawlessly) in gloss black and then apply the "magic powder". Part of the buzz, I think, is that it was mysteriously hard to get - you apparently could only order it from Japan and it was constantly out of stock and on reorder. I found it at Hobbylink Japan on backorder and placed an order and waited. After a couple of months or so my order was filled and it arrived. As a chroming application it was a total fail. In truth, over black it looked  like black chrome. But I did notice that it imparted  a convincing metllic sheen. So I experimented with other finishes. Here's alink to a discussion  on the TRaK board from that time that you will find instructive: TRaK Gin-San discussion 2010-2011 . MCM forum member LL3 Model Worx asked about it, too, on my thread that has the pickup that I posted avove and here's an excerpt from my reply to him:

Quote

I just did a web search on the stuff and drew a blank. It is very likely it's no longer available, so I'm glad you asked. So I then searched at Hobbylink Japan and they default to C1 Metalizer (see: C1 Models C1 Metalizer and HobbyLink Japan C1 Metalizer ). I have known about C1 for quite some time and it appears to be a good substitute. My original container of Kosutte Gin San is still more than half full after several years of use and will last several more. I suspect that with C1 Metalizer you will get the same results and it will last many years. I use my Gin San for other things besides bare metal effects including enhancing or changing the nature of other metallic paints such as gunmetal, chrome of bronze paints. It definitely worth experimenting with because it can yield some very realistic effects.

 

Edited by Bernard Kron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

Yhank you for the infos. I can see why I never heard about this fine product.

In the same line of thought, I will try your technique, but with dry pearl powder in silver variety. I bought a 12 colour selection at Michael's, here in Canada. It's made by Jacquar products, out of California. I had great results mixing these pearl powders in clear or other paints for application via air brush. I wonder what would be the effect if I "rubbed" them on a silver or light gunmetal base coat? 

I'll keep you posted if the results are nearly as convincing as yours. Who knows. As Einstein liked to say: "Progress is born of chaos"... Or was it Stephen Hawkins? 

CT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Yhank you for the infos. I can see why I never heard about this fine product.

In the same line of thought, I will try your technique, but with dry pearl powder in silver variety. I bought a 12 colour selection at Michael's, here in Canada. It's made by Jacquar products, out of California. I had great results mixing these pearl powders in clear or other paints for application via air brush. I wonder what would be the effect if I "rubbed" them on a silver or light gunmetal base coat? 

I'll keep you posted if the results are nearly as convincing as yours. Who knows. As Einstein liked to say: "Progress is born of chaos"... Or was it Stephen Hawkins? 

CT

I'm looking forward to seeing the results, as unpredictable as they might be. I suspect it should be impactful, at least as I'm imagining it...

As an fyi, here's Gin San over Testors Metalizer Aluminum Plate on the fuel tank of the 904 posted above, it completely transforms it:

DSCF7348-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7268-web-1024.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great year from your workbench Bernard ! I love them all, well done sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

You are right, it HAS an effect. Visible impact. I'll keep you posted on my upcoming "experiment". Who knows... I'm finishing a food truck (mobile pizza parlor !?! ... I know, strange, but it's for the theme of an upcoming contest...), so I will need to simulate cooking surfaces. Hope it works!

CT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admirable body of work. Your willingness to take the extra time to document your techniques and share them here is one of the core values of our common hobby. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Buddy, 

I haven't been checking out the forum lately, but found your thread...you've been a busy boy this past year!

I love all your builds and looking forward to seeing them at NNL WEST in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 8:03 PM, doggie427 said:

Another great year from your workbench Bernard ! I love them all, well done sir.

Thanks! Glad you dig 'em!

On 1/5/2020 at 7:26 AM, misterNNL said:

Admirable body of work. Your willingness to take the extra time to document your techniques and share them here is one of the core values of our common hobby. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tom. Discussing and sharing our work is definitely a highlight on the forum, for sure.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:05 AM, curt raitz said:

Hi Buddy, 

I haven't been checking out the forum lately, but found your thread...you've been a busy boy this past year!

I love all your builds and looking forward to seeing them at NNL WEST in January.

Thanx! C U later this month Curt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...