Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2020 - Kenworth COE Aerodyne

• 3 weeks later...

Got some paint on the cab over the past few days. The pile of unattached parts is dwindling, so that means I must be making progress!

20200407_193341.thumb.jpg.949ce420c8fd10937043df664b2fd4c5.jpg

20200407_193400.thumb.jpg.5a88816e93ca03ae2b93227e3357e49a.jpg

Not happy with the chrome on this one. Not sure if it's because it's an old kit, or if it's just a cheap chrome job, but when removing from a sprue, or sanding from surfaces to be glued, the chrome just flakes off in sheets.Luckily, the Molotow chrome pens come to the rescue, but still.

20200407_202231.thumb.jpg.9365515d690f4832c5b93fc50d8d1423.jpg

The chrome on some of these older kits is pretty bad, atleast some of the ones I’ve built. But as you say, thank goodness for the chrome pens.

its always a good feeling when the parts pile is almost gone , lol.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Brushed on. I currently do not have an airbrush, although it's on my list of things to buy and experiment with!

Nicely done !!    I struggle with the Tamiya and Model Master acrylic paints when brushing them.  They seem to want to dry too fast.   Do you have a special trick ?

I've also had issues with using the Model Master acrylic paint on bare plastic -- it doesn't seem to "bite" well and I've had adhesion problems unless I use primer first.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Nicely done !!    I struggle with the Tamiya and Model Master acrylic paints when brushing them.  They seem to want to dry too fast.   Do you have a special trick ?

I've also had issues with using the Model Master acrylic paint on bare plastic -- it doesn't seem to "bite" well and I've had adhesion problems unless I use primer first.

Thanks!

I only ever use Tamiya paints. A lot of the time, I find they need a couple of coats, so I just brush on two light coats. Rarely try to get full coverage on the first try.

Seems to work for me. :)

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I only ever use Tamiya paints. A lot of the time, I find they need a couple of coats, so I just brush on two light coats. Rarely try to get full coverage on the first try.

Seems to work for me. :)

Thanks for the info.  Do you brush paint the Tamiya acrylic to bare plastic ?   Or do you always use primer first ?

19 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you brush paint the Tamiya acrylic to bare plastic ?   Or do you always use primer first ?

I only ever use primer on the body and chassis, never on engines/drivetrains, and rarely on interior pieces.

• 1 month later...

Been a while, but I finally got back to the bench this weekend. After a full winter of stacking stuff on my bench and working in the kitchen, I finally cleared the bench and set up my work station again.

Chassis assembly is one step closer. Going together very well. I've said it before, but this Revell kit is a massive improvement over the AMT kits I've built. Nothing vague about it.

20200518_155821.thumb.jpg.a51a5c52a43cb1fb8fb488487a3220b9.jpg

Here's my one complaint though. The chrome sucks. Maybe they cheaped out on the chroming process, maybe it's just because the kit is old, but it flakes off in sheets. And when working on the gas tanks, as soon as my masking tape hit the tank, I knew I had an issue. By that point it was too late. So I said screw it, and just kept going. Molotow chrome pens to the rescue. Turned out okay. As an aside, I think that tanks are poorly designed. Personally, I'd have the seams on the top and bottom, not on the side where they are far more visible.

20200518_122138.thumb.jpg.27fa6ff778608db647256b42c8af4629.jpg

The best method, imo,  is just de-chrome everything  no matter what, I do this all the time on any kit.

With Molotow chrome you can also airbrush, because they sell it also as a liquid for air brushes, or just put some from the marker in to the airbrush canister.

The chrome looks are also more realistic.;)

Hermann.

2 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

The best method, imo,  is just de-chrome everything  no matter what, I do this all the time on any kit.

With Molotow chrome you can also airbrush, because they sell it also as a liquid for air brushes, or just put some from the marker in to the airbrush canister.

The chrome looks are also more realistic.;)

Hermann.

I normally de-chrome everything! I hate kit chrome, too toy-like in appearance. This is one of the only kits I have not done it on. Just my luck!