Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO Mack B815 Logger

Well, it's 1/1/2020 so I'm off!  Got all my resin parts washed, need to do the log trailer but have time for that.  Chassis is from AITM, Mack with 80,000 lb rears.  Cab is also AITM.  Still have a few parts coming, post office says by the weekend.  Still working on the Love Machine Mack when I have time, not sure if I'll get that finished before I start in on this build.

DSC_7681.jpg

It's been a year and a half since I started the Rubber Duck build, I forgot how involved the resin chassis is.  OTOH, the AMT Mack Cruiseliner chassis hasn't been a piece of cake either......  May get a few progress shots up tomorrow.  Another rainy day means I get some serious time at the bench.  So far, wheels are cleaned up, tires in primer.  Rear suspension almost ready for assembly.  Got to work on one of the accessory items and some parts spent time in the purple pond for cleaning.

Suspension went better than I thought and all 10 tires are sitting on the ground.  Not sure that would be accurate though....these trucks get beat up and a twisted frame is probably more the norm than the exception!  Might get a twist by the time I'm done anyway, so if it does I won't sweat it.  Mock up is starting to give me an idea of just what a beast this is going to be.  Yup, that's a crane behind the headache rack.  I'm hoping there will be enough room for it when I get the front log bunk installed.

P1020909.jpg

P1020911.jpg

Minor update, had a rainy weekend so spent over 10 hours on this project.  Focus was the trailer which is well along now.  Color coat is on most of it, now the hard part, weathering.  I'm trying to go light, it's easy to get carried away and overdo it.  I like KJ's look and that's what I'm shooting for, subtle but realistic without going overboard.  I've done a few locomotives but this will be my first serious weathering on a big rig.  I have more than a few ideas, might be interesting but hopefully not frustrating!

Also got the tires painted, wheels are in primer.  Chassis needs to go to primer as well as the cab.  Have colors mostly picked out but still have to decide on the truck chassis color....down to 3.

P1020915.jpg

P1020916.jpg