Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO Mack B815 Logger

14 minutes ago, kilrathy10 said:

Looking forward to this one.... I haven't been up in a long time, but I'm back and eager to see how you go about such a major project....

Welcome back.  The best way is to break it down into small projects and then add them together.  I'm always looking ahead (kinda like playing chess) to anticipate what I might need to do before I have to do it.  Already messed up with the crane, but did catch a few bugs with the trailer (namely that it is meant for an AMT tractor which has a slightly different frame width than the resin one I'm using!)  being that the truck is going to be taller than a stock AMT kit, I'm already planning on making a pintle plate for the rear of the chassis to keep the trailer wheels sitting on the ground.

14 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Sharp work cant wait to hear your color choice 

Your tires dont look black..what's the color on them ? They have a hint of brown

That's mostly noise in the photo.  They are "grimy black" which isn't as stark as a pure black.  Close to the color of the real ones....

Thanks Warren I typically dont use straight black for tires either . The grimy black looks very good 

One tip another modeler suggested years ago was to use testors us army helo drab for tires, has this brownish green hue that really looks like older sun baked rubber .

32 minutes ago, tbill said:

Just wondering out loud here, but , shouldn’t the rear of the frame be extended to allow articulation of the load while nestled in the ‘bunk’ on the rear of the rig? Hope that makes sense.

Not sure I understand the question.  Both bunks articulate and it would seem to be better to have the pintle pivot as close to the front bunk pivot point as possible, ie, shorter frame.

8 hours ago, Warren D said:

That's mostly noise in the photo.  They are "grimy black" which isn't as stark as a pure black.  Close to the color of the real ones....

Warren

try Tamiya nato black # X69 your tires will have a very flat black and they will except your weathering techniques a whole lot better. I painted these mud flaps with nato black 

7CCB7158-EA0B-4E52-9013-91E93261D167.jpeg

Thanks for the idea, I might try a modified version.  I still anticipate needing to drop the hitch point due to the tall tires on the truck.  I'm close to that point, have the tires on the trailer rims as of last night so I can do the mock up tonight.

1 hour ago, am73grand said:

This is a very cool project! Are you going to put logs on the trailer and if so what do you plan on using?

Probably use the ones from the kit, might see if I have something around the yard that would look to scale, might check O scale model RR scenery......that will be the finishing touch which is still a long way away. 

2 hours ago, Warren D said:

Probably use the ones from the kit, might see if I have something around the yard that would look to scale, might check O scale model RR scenery......that will be the finishing touch which is still a long way away. 

Warren

If you have any post Oak trees around there very convincing 

Thanks for the kind words.  I had better hurry up and finish this before I think of more things to do to it!  Just last night, after looking at the updated crane photo, I realized I'm not really done.  The grapple will need hydraulic lines and I've figured out in my mind how to run them, it's just a matter of doing it.  Just when you think you're almost done.......And, I'm almost out of color for the crane and log trailer, good thing I recorded the mix proportions so I can mix more.  It might not be exact, but that will just fit this build even better!  Tonight the cab will get some love as well and I should have half the two-tone color on this weekend.