Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO Mack B815 Logger

As I started looking at grapples, I discovered I needed to add some more hydro lines.  That's now done, extra length until I get the grapple built.  While out trying to photograph bald eagles this morning, I ran across a beautiful 50 year old Autocar 10 wheel logger with a loader.  Wouldn't you know, the grapple was just what I was looking for!  Looks like a much better style than I've seen on the 'net.

The cab got color this morning, have to wait a few days for it to set up before masking for the second color on the fenders.  Now you can see the purpose of the slightly darker yellow on the doors, there was a cab logo decal there that has been removed.  I used the salt technique for a little rust on the cab lower sill and door corners.

P1020930.jpg

P1020928.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update as it's been a couple of weeks but haven't had much bench time.  Valve on the furnace let go shooting parts throughout my water pipes shortly before a heat coil in the oven turned into an arc welder.  Any way, I've been on a parts hold waiting for Micro Mark and after almost 3 weeks, I called them.  They can't explain why in stock items didn't ship but said they will be on their way shortly.  I have more parts on the way from KFS, saw a post that gave me an idea so I might make some changes before I go any farther.  Started the grapple for the end of the crane but quickly found I need some parts I don't have.   So I'll continue to putter along....  may have some pics after this weekend.

While waiting for chassis parts for the truck, I spent some time on the trailer.  I may have gone a bit over on the mud, but it'll have to do.  Cable was made from the bare copper lead in a mouse cable, dipped in Blacken-It then over painted with rust.  I have to add some bare metal paint to areas where the logs will rub when I figure out where that will be.

P1020949.jpg

10 hours ago, Warren D said:

While waiting for chassis parts for the truck, I spent some time on the trailer.  I may have gone a bit over on the mud, but it'll have to do.  Cable was made from the bare copper lead in a mouse cable, dipped in Blacken-It then over painted with rust.  I have to add some bare metal paint to areas where the logs will rub when I figure out where that will be.

P1020949.jpg

The weathering looks good...logging roads get real muddy during the spring thaw.

Change of direction......well, a small one.  A few weeks ago, I saw a post of an Autocar mixer with a front drive axle.  I had really wanted to do a front drive axle when I built my mixer a few years ago, but I was just getting back into the hobby and didn't know of the parts resources available.  Knowledge can be a bad thing.  After seeing that post, it re-kindled a desire to put a front drive axle in something.....so I decided to take some steps back and convert the B815 to all wheel drive.  Ordered up parts from KFS and waited for them to fly across the pond.  Then the fun started, the track was way too wide (maybe 1/24 scale difference?) so I had to narrow the track by removing a little from both sides.  The real fun was to come, trying to remove the "kit" front axle.  I was able to get it off the chassis without damaging the springs but the axle itself was toast.

I now have all wheel drive, and there is a slight height difference, the front end sits a bit higher than the rears but that will look better once the load is added, the back will look like it's sagging under the load.

I need to get this finished before I change it up again......either that or I need a dose of willpower to resist those ideas!

Photos are a mock-up of progress to date, still a long way to go.

P1020951.jpg

P1020955.jpg

Nice change !!!!  I agree with your assessment about the kfs axle being 1/24 , I tried using it under my Oshkosh, the track was also wide. His website does specify scale, but I didnt realize it would be that dramatic. 

Your sag should certainly look spot on after a healthy load of logs are added  !