Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO Mack B815 Logger

11 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Nice change !!!!  I agree with your assessment about the kfs axle being 1/24 , I tried using it under my Oshkosh, the track was also wide. His website does specify scale, but I didnt realize it would be that dramatic. 

Your sag should certainly look spot on after a healthy load of logs are added  ! 

I think it was worth the effort, I'm sure I'll like more as time goes by and I forget what apain it was to do.  I think it's the scale difference but could also be that KFS is geared to Euro trucks (like AITM is geared to American trucks) and there may be some differences due to that.  I had to narrow both sides, if I just did the long side, the diff would have landed in the center and it really needs to be offset to one side.  Only one I've seen with a centered front drive axle is a center cab cement mixer.  Not saying there aren't others, but that's the only one I've seen.

I did notice the scale difference between 1/24 and 1/25 years ago when I tried taking 2 1/24 scale Chevy p/u beds and making a long bed.  The cab I was using was 1/25 and that bed was ugly wide.  Ended up taking a good chunk of width out of it to match the cab width.  Some things don't matter as much, ie, the crane for this build is 1/24 but looks fine on a 1/25 scale truck and I don't recall having to make any changes to the crane's mounting channels for frame width.

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Wow! That much suspension and tires with that bit of a cab make me think it would be hard riding monster. Especially on logging roads.

Not sure anyone really cares how a logger rides except maybe the driver.  The large sidewalls on the tires should help!  With all the mud, probably smoother than a paved road in pothole season!!!   LOL!

3 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Very nice project, the details are awesome.

The chains are a very patience job, i did it once with a semi tractor,  needed a lot of pins to keep the chains in 1 place.?

Hermann.

Thanks, I think I have about 2 hours invested in each wheel just for the chains.  Not something I plan on doing again anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Warren,

I missed the beginning of this project. And as some one said "you got a pile of resin there " I have to ask out of shear curiosity.

How much money have you got in this project ?

I also use the grimy black or Nato black on my painted tires . And your look spot on ! Like the tires chains . But doubt I will ever go there .

The conversion to all wheel  drive is nice . I have a couple of projects that I intend to do that on  . Nice work thus far !

Be Well

Gator

13 hours ago, gatorincebu said:

Warren,

I missed the beginning of this project. And as some one said "you got a pile of resin there " I have to ask out of shear curiosity.

How much money have you got in this project ?

I also use the grimy black or Nato black on my painted tires . And your look spot on ! Like the tires chains . But doubt I will ever go there .

The conversion to all wheel  drive is nice . I have a couple of projects that I intend to do that on  . Nice work thus far !

Be Well

Gator

Thanks.  Well, you can add it up, B815 from AITM, Mack Chassis from AITM, AMT Logging trailer, Italeri Crane, chain material was about $50 so about $300 so far give or take.

Progress update:  Cab is coming along, glass and interior are installed, also checked fit to chassis.  Photos are mock ups, still some details to add before it gets mounted.  I packed the front fender wells with mud, seemed to add a lot of extra weight to an already heavy resin casting.  As I go, I keep finding more things to add.  I really need to wrap this up soon, otherwise it might never get done!  Chassis is also coming along, mud and rust added along with grease and oil.  Fuel tanks and battery boxes are on and I had some room to add a step from the log trailer kit on the passenger side which still needs to get dirty.  I've tried several methods for the mud.  First was the well known use of baking soda as a filler/texture but by the time I got the texture I liked, there was too much baking soda and it turned the mix white requiring many coats of mud colored washes.  I tried a blend of fine saw dust, acrylic paint ($.99 at the craft store) and some clear gloss as a binder.  I like the results, the sawdust adds body and the fiber seems to go along with the logger theme.

Next are the cab accessories, a few chassis details then the cab can get mounted.  Biggest thing left after that will be the grapple for the crane.  I think I see the end......until I find something else to add/change....sigh......

P1020957.jpg

P1020958.jpg

P1020959.jpg