Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's the Real Thing...

So you know how many of us (myself included) kind of mock Round2 a little for all of the Coke kits they come up with?

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know...interesting subject matter, and we don't have to use the decals. Yes, that's why I have several Coke kits.

Anyway, so they did the Coke Charger. 

MPC-R2-919-2.jpg.2305bcb4f1a0af5083ae4d8e3e9b4ebf.jpg

Now which came first...the kit or the real thing?

coca-cola-charger.jpg.628ca9d4c10ac37bb17a8a6139acc114.jpg

This surprised me.

It's umm...interesting...

284c483b8f465f6455253cabf44cb0bf.png.f4cfbaf178ed36613148f0f794bc6bce.png

H-DSC_4357-1.jpg.4cfd4edf8f06f22cd02a0ae66d012e09.jpg

C-DSC_4353-1024x493.jpg.fe08654fb436c017d3144cf4e9508e1c.jpg

D-DSC_4343.jpg.a5d8083b87fe500b197a794256b37eca.jpg

2581580031_7b49968d15_b.jpg.c85fe02de16775364ca329bed0a2962e.jpg

2581622645_2f3b5cc941_b.jpg.a276ffa9bfd69c0e7f311761174168c6.jpg

E-8-10-08-MOPAR-NATS-013-1-1024x680.jpg.8eb43843ee9eb309f3267cab8948e53a.jpg

I read an article in Mopar Action a few years ago about the original . While I'm not necessarily a fan of the theme , it truly is a cool car : nicely done , and a radical paint scheme ( I won't mention the white-face instruments though... ) .

Chris hpi guy does a buildup of the kit 

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

No Coke. Petsi…

That reminds me of the story about baseball great Ty Cobb...Georgia native and one of the first investors in Coca-Cola of Atlanta. The story goes that the elderly Cobb was driving across the desert once, probably headed to or from his house in Lake Tahoe.  He was low on gas and stopped at one of those "Last Chance" service stations. While the attendant was raising the hood to check the oil, Cobb asked for a Coke.  The attendant said no Coke, his station only sold Pepsi. Cobb said, "Well, to Hell with you!" He slammed the hood shut, peeled out in his '56 Chrysler Imperial, and kept driving.

since this is getting personal,  I'm a Coke Zero guy!   ?

It would be neat if the decals were of the real car.  And I'm sure the guy who owns the real one would be very pleased with that!

At least they are selling kits to the tons of Coke collectors out there!  I believe they out number us model car guys!

Round 2 probably has to attach something to this tooling to justify it...remember that they had just released this snap kit as the General Lee, and then- the flag controversy, they lost or gave up the license to DoH merch, etc...so I think they were counting on keeping this item in their lineup for quite some time.

It's not a bad kit, really pretty good for a promo-style build. I might get a Coke version because of the red molded body. I'm just mildly bent that they opted for the '72 style grille inserts, like the DoH Lees have had in the box since 1979, rather than correct '69 style items.

I can't knock the marketing tie-in, because if it sells kits, then that benefits me, too. Round 2 has to do what they have to do. Regarding the 1:1 car...well, if the owner is fortunate enough to have one of these cars, and has the money to customize it like that, and it's not too tough to reverse...then...good for him. 

I will admit to being mildly jealous. ;)  

BTW- can anybody here tell me where I can get Mello Yellow soda (or pop, if that's what you call it :D) anywhere near eastern Pennsylvania? While we are on the topic of soft drinks, I'll ask. We only have it here in Freestyle machines, and at Arby's Restaurants. I would like to buy it in bottles or cans, and Mello Yello seems to have fled my area few years ago...   

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

This car answers the question, "Is it possible to make a '69 Charger look both stupid and ugly with paint alone?" :P

Yup. "Oooooo...I want to take my kinda cool old car and make it into a rolling billboard for carbonated sugar-water".

It's so inspiring that people still have meaningful ambitions.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

BTW- can anybody here tell me where I can get Mello Yellow soda (or pop, if that's what you call it :D)

It's soda, just like sneakers aren't tennis shoes and pizza is sold by the slice, not a piece. :D

Go to Target for Mello Yello. All of the Target locations in Brooklyn and Queens stock it. The stores in and around Philly should, too. Used to date a chick from Manayunk back in the late '70s. Her aunt was A&R Director at RCA Records in Manhattan

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's so inspiring that people still have meaningful ambitions.

While it is certainly not my cup of tea, I am not sure their desire to build/have that car is of any less value/ambition than that of our desire to build scale models of (fill in the blank). As for it's looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ?

My dad used to say that it's a good thing we all did not like the same things, as that would make for a very bland world.

30 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

While it is certainly not my cup of tea, I am not sure their desire to build/have that car is of any less value/ambition than that of our desire to build scale models of (fill in the blank). As for it's looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ?

My dad used to say that it's a good thing we all did not like the same things, as that would make for a very bland world.

While the builder / owner has every right to tart his car up any way he pleases, I also have the right to my opinion, and the right to voice said opinion, that it has the artistic merit of smearing excrement on a wall, or mounting two dozen illuminated plastic flamingos to a Ferrari 275GTB, with deck screws and paste.

While there are many in the world today who insist that there is no such thing as objective beauty, that everything is relative, so everything...no matter how inept, tasteless, or downright ugly...is of equal value and merit, I am not among them.

This piece of "art" just recently sold for $120,000. image.png.6b447d740a5bd2752e0aa5a20bb4fa55.png

Is it "of any less value/ambition than that of our desire to build scale models of (fill in the blank)"? 

To my way of thinking, a resounding YES.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

It's soda, just like sneakers aren't tennis shoes and pizza is sold by the slice, not a piece. :D

Gotta speak the language to get answers sometimes! :lol: 

Go to Target for Mello Yello. All of the Target locations in Brooklyn and Queens stock it. The stores in and around Philly should, too.

Believe me, I have been looking! Every Target, Shop Rite, Wal Mart I have been to. My range is about 1/2 hour west of Philly, and most of Southern & Central NJ. I have been looking every time I have been in one of those stores. They all seemed to have stopped stocking it about 2 years ago. I'm sure it's the regional bottler (in this case, likely the Philadelphia Coca-Cola Bottling Company) who decides what they produce and stock. At least I know what the "Northern Mello Yello Border" is now, thanks to you! I'm going to be in Morristown, NJ this weekend, so I'm going to try there, but the last time I was up near Parsippany for the NNL East (the year before last), I did hit a local Shop Rite and got nada.      

Used to date a chick from Manayunk back in the late '70s. Her aunt was A&R Director at RCA Records in Manhattan

Man- that hits home. I grew up in Roxborough- the next neighborhood over from Manayunk. I went to grade school in Manayunk, walked down those hills in the morning, up those hills in the afternoon. I beached my '71 Satellite in a foot of snow on Leverington Avenue one night, because there was no route home that didn't involve some kind of severe incline. If you have ever been to Manayunk, you know what I'm talking about! :)  I still get there from time to time. It's become hip and gentrified over the past 30 years or so. Roxborough and Manayunk was really like a small town unto itself back then. Odds are, I knew your ex-girlfriend's family, or knew of them- I think there were only 30 or so families there back then :) Everybody knew everybody there back in the day. Not quite like it used to be. Different, not necessarily worse now, but not the same community it once was.

I work with somebody who was born and raised in Brooklyn. Older gent, great guy, smart. My best friend at work. I mentioned D'allesandro's Steaks (in Roxborough) once- he knew about them (and loved them!), as his wife (girlfriend at the time) was from just outside Philly and went to Philadelphia College of Textiles & Sciences. They would hit Delly's back in the day and he remembered that place after a career that spanned 40 years, 4 states, 3 countries.

So...if you're ever in Philly and want a Cheesesteak, you heard it here first. Skip Pat's, forget Geno's - go to D'allesandro's. :)     

Anyway, so this post has something to do with Coca Cola- yes- I prefer Coke, but I wish they (the makers of Coca Cola and Mello Yello are the same) would make Mello Yello more widely available.