Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2020 Triple drive White-Freightliner COE

Here is the plan. Sleeper cab TRIPLE DRIVE (extended frame). Rectangular headlight conversion. Possibly scratch built headache rack. White and red paint scheme (if I can mask it successfully). Destined to connect to my modified lowboy trailer I built last year.

Freightliner 75th Anniversary.jpg

I have a bit done. The engine in pink and a few other bits painted. Due to an unfortunate choice of black paint, the frame has spent more time in the purple lake and brake fluid than it has been worked on. The rectangular head light conversion is done.

IMG_1112.JPG

FINALLY! The humidity was low enough today to paint. I have been waiting since Thanksgiving. I really put my new paint booth to the test. I sprayed 8 different rattle cans of paint in the spare bedroom WITHOUT my wife's sensitive nose going off. ☺️ If I can resist the urge to fingerprint my parts, I may make some progress this weekend.

COE tan interior paint.JPG

COE satin black paint.JPG

COE gloss black lacquer.JPG

COE gloss black lacquer.JPG

COE chrome silver.JPG

COE TD frame primed..JPG

COE base coat white.JPG

13 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Awesome work  !  Paint booths definitely help keep the spouses happy,  my wife doesn't mind my hobby nearly as much since I purchased a booth

I agree, It is always best to stay on the good side of the person who makes your food.?

Made a bit of progress this weekend. Interior started. Wanted to work on the frame but my ancient primer is still a wee bit tacky. Spent all Sunday afternoon blacking out the grilles for both of my Freightliners.

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
added pics

Made a little progress. Cab base color is cured so I had to figure out how to mask it for second color. The kit decal stripes are thin and have no instructions on where they go. Besides that the artwork on the box is actually off. I am also doing a swap of the red and white on the bottom half. I copied the decal sheet on my printer copier so that I could cut the stripes lengthwise. I then used some off brand BMF (which has too thick of glue) and laid it on the front of the cab. I scotch taped the paper decals in place then cut the foil to use as a mask. Once that was done, I used Parafilm to mask off all of the straight lines due to its SUPERIOR masking abilities. The cab is now ready for the 2nd color. (Now I have to wait for the humidity to be low again). I have the interior detail painted and am waiting for paint to dry before final assembly.

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

LOL..  thanks...   as long as it works !!

I only ask because on my last kit, I used the cheapie Wal-Mart flat black enamel spray paint as the base on the frame and then sprayed Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer over it -- in a couple areas it "bubbled" and I'm not sure why.

1 hour ago, Goodwrench3 said:

LOL..  thanks...   as long as it works !!

I only ask because on my last kit, I used the cheapie Wal-Mart flat black enamel spray paint as the base on the frame and then sprayed Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer over it -- in a couple areas it "bubbled" and I'm not sure why.

You can get a bazzilion opinions on this but... The consensus is lacquers have "hotter" solvents and will reactivate enamels causing problems. There are exceptions. Long cured enamels are less prone the reactivation. Also some lacquers are hotter than others. It is basically a trial by error thing.