Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 BRBO Chevrolet Bison

Here is my entry for this build off, an early 2000s boxing of the AMT chevy Bison

20200102_012915sm-vi.jpg

I decided to get right to work and assembled much of the engine

20200102_020649sm-vi.jpg

I decided to stop here so I can do some research and see how this engine should be painted

I also assembled the transmission. It has a really big seam on the bottom which will require attention

20200102_020659sm-vi.jpg

I wanted to press on and start the Frame, but I am getting tired and need to be able to concentrate, so I will pick it up later.

See ya next time!

19 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

I really enjoyed building mine....after cleaning up all the flash...and seams. lol

Yeah, there was a bit of flash on many parts. I also plan to use a Detroit diesel engine in another wild project, so this will also serve as a test fit article, to see if the other project is feasible. 

I have assembled the frame

The instructions are not clear, but I looked in later steps in the instructions and got a better idea where the cross members were supposed to go. I glued the parts in place with liquid cement to get a good plastic to plastic welded bond

20200105_021630sm-vi.jpg

I left it for two days and glued the other frame rail in place tonight

20200105_022624sm-vi.jpg

One rail was warped, and I think at least one cross member was not quite perfectly straight so hopefully the frame is not too far out of square ... we will just have to see.

There is a lot of flash on the parts. some parts only have a little bit of flash, and in that case it is almost worse because it is very subtle and hard to see, and it is hard to tell where the part starts and the flash ends.  I think I will get the rst of the suspension together before painting, I want a good plastic cement bond for the leaf springs and diffs, but it will be a bit harder to ensure complete paint coverage in every nook and cranny.

Moving right along  !  You found out the hardest part of big rig building,  questionable instructions and flash lol

Your knocking right out though .

Building the suspension off the frame can help coverage just be sure everything will fit after on chassis.  I messed up once not having it square and it didnt want to fit .

As to the paint coverage, I like to glue as much as possible to the frame before primer/paint. What I do is prime in gray model primer , then use an automotive primer that is close to the frame color, I find you can put quite a bit of primer on before it runs/sags/pools up, being close to frame color helps hide some of the areas you can’t quite get to with the paint ( without making the paint run/sag)

1 hour ago, vettecote said:

Great project! I'm guessing that's an 8V71?...Joe

I am pretty sure that is what it is. I also found I can shoe horn the 8v71 into a monogram squarebody kit for a crazy project I have in mind

1 hour ago, gotnitro? said:

Moving right along  !  You found out the hardest part of big rig building,  questionable instructions and flash lol

I could not say any better....

1 hour ago, Pete68 said:

Looking good and going at it with a slow pace you will do great on this 

Thanks!  

33 minutes ago, tbill said:

As to the paint coverage, I like to glue as much as possible to the frame before primer/paint. What I do is prime in gray model primer , then use an automotive primer that is close to the frame color, I find you can put quite a bit of primer on before it runs/sags/pools up, being close to frame color helps hide some of the areas you can’t quite get to with the paint ( without making the paint run/sag)

Good idea - Thank you. 

On 1/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, vettecote said:

Great project! I'm guessing that's an 8V71?...Joe

22 hours ago, kurth said:

I am pretty sure that is what it is. I also found I can shoe horn the 8v71 into a monogram squarebody kit for a crazy project I have in mind

I could not say any better....

Thanks!  

Good idea - Thank you. 

I think it's supposed to be a 8V-92 and that goes for both the Chevrolet Bison and GMC General.

Work continues but I am stumped ....

I started the front suspension, but the unclear instructions strike again. 

20200111_034446sm-vi.jpg

It points to a vague area to glue the front leaf springs to the frame. There are holes in the frame

20200111_034422sm-vi.jpg

but no pin on the leaf spring shackle

20200111_034434sm-vi.jpg

I think The best course of action will be to mock up the body and see where the wheel opening is, then use that as a guide to locate the front axle.

I also had to use putty on the differentials, there was too much of a step to sand it smooth

20200111_034748sm-vi.jpg

Once I figure out the front axle, I can assemble the rest of the chassis and paint it.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I did not abandon this one.  After over a week of putting this one aside in frustration, I got the kit out and I mocked up the cab so I could figure out where to put the front axle. I mocked up a wheel/tire assemble to get the best possible idea of how the tire will sit in the fender opening

20200122_032149sm-vi.jpg

I traced the position of the spring shackle on the frame with a pencil

20200122_032247sm-vi.jpg

So, now the other front leaf spring has been glued to the axle and the glue is drying. Now I can pick up some momentum on this one in the next few days.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:59 AM, tbill said:

TBill:

I had been using Tamiya [Lacquer] gray primer on the frame/suspension assembly, then spraying it with some cheap-O Wal-Mart flat black enamel (you could blast this stuff and it won't run/sag), followed by some Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer.   What I found is that in a couple of spots the paint "bubbled".     What "automotive primer" spray paint are you using ?   Thanks !