Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 BRBO Chevrolet Bison

I started to primer the frame, and realized I still had to assemble the rear suspension, So I did. I had to fiddle with parts here and there, and got it together

20200131_042943sm-vi.jpg

So now the whole frame is ready for primer

20200131_042950sm-vi.jpg

I have the engine ready for primer too

20200131_043002sm-vi.jpg

I should be able to get to this over the weekend, I need to let the glue dry.

Before you go too far, I know it's shown that way in the instructions but check the fitment of the rear wheels, because I think you have to reposition the brake chambers to make the wheels fit properly, I don't think there is enough room between the frame rails and wheels for the brake chambers to be where you have them now.

5 hours ago, Force said:

Before you go too far, I know it's shown that way in the instructions but check the fitment of the rear wheels, because I think you have to reposition the brake chambers to make the wheels fit properly, I don't think there is enough room between the frame rails and wheels for the brake chambers to be where you have them now.

Thanks for pointing that out, Now i can see that will be an issue. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, tbill said:

Which paint is bubbling? Testors semi gloss black always gives me fits if I lay it on too heavy, it’ll give me solvent pops ( bubbles). It seems to be the only color in their line that does that to me.

I'm not sure which is bubbling up.   After spraying the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer over the cheap-O Wal-Mart flat black enamel spray paint,  I saw a couple areas that "bubbled".   I had to sand them out and re-spray the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer.  It's possible in those couple areas the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer was a bit heavy ?

24 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

I'm not sure which is bubbling up.   After spraying the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer over the cheap-O Wal-Mart flat black enamel spray paint,  I saw a couple areas that "bubbled".   I had to sand them out and re-spray the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer.  It's possible in those couple areas the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer was a bit heavy ?

I know that Testors lacquer is not as hot as most lacquer, but it's a good rule of thumb to never spray lacquer over enamel. If the Wal-Mart paint was enamel, that may be part of the problem.

I hosed a ton of Mig One Shot (re packaged badger stynlrez) primer on the drive line parts. I ended up snipping off the brake chambers .. they did not fit between the frame and the tires. I sure hope this truck never needs to stop fast ... ?

20200201_223321sm-vi.jpg

After this dries I will paint the frame, probably with Tamiya semigloss black, and I think I have some paint for british wwII aircraft cockpits which is almost detroit diesel green.

The paint work came out nice

First is the engine, I used AK real colors "dark dull green" from the US aircraft cockpit colors set

20200204_023859sm-vi.jpg

It gets the idea across but might not be quite the right color. The fan was painted with Alclad Dark Aluminum, as was the transmission (not pictured)

I am also working on those wheel rings .. they are a real pain to clean up

And here is the frame, the sheen came out just right, though it is not apparent in this picture

20200204_023952sm-vi.jpg

I looked ahead in the instructions and see I should have assembled the battery boxes and the steps, as it looks like they are the same color.

• 4 weeks later...

Kurt,

Nice choice of subject. Though I have to agree with you. That the instructions for that kit leave much to be desired .

And the flash that everyone complains about including me. lol I will be following this to see how you finish it out .

Be Well

Gator

12 hours ago, gatorincebu said:

Kurt,

Nice choice of subject. Though I have to agree with you. That the instructions for that kit leave much to be desired .

And the flash that everyone complains about including me. lol I will be following this to see how you finish it out .

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator. I will get back to this one this weekend, I was away for a week shortly after after my last update and that threw my schedule off after I returned, but I am back to normal now.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last time I checked in, I installed the engine and transmission. As soon as the glue dried, I realized I had more things to glue to the frame, which would have been easier before I painted it. Out of frustration,  I set the kit aside for a while.

I got the kit back out this weekend and installed the stairs and battery boxes

20200315_012414sm-vi.jpg

Sadly I did not quite align the parts properly. 

I spent a lot of time with the tanks. 

20200315_012429sm-vi.jpg

They required a fair bit of work

And while I was gluing parts together, I assembled these exhaust pipes and the intake pipe.  They will require lots of sanding and maybe putty

20200315_012443sm-vi.jpg

Not pictured, I also assembled the seats, in preparation for more parts painting

See ya next time

• 2 weeks later...

I have assembled the wheel and tire sets

20200326_022839sm-vi.jpg

And the first set of dual wheels is already on the chassis, I assembled one set of duals as a test

2v2Hp57Ayx9awpY.jpg

As I went to assemble this, I realized I forgot to paint the front hubs. The paint is drying now. So next time I should have a rolling chassis for you. I started addressing the mold lines on the body, but I realized I have no idea how I want to paint this one.   I have some ideas, so I will need to figure it out.

See ya next time

On 3/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, gotnitro? said:

Way to go !!! Sometimes setting them aside for a fresh breath really helps get motivated to putter with a kit 

Your doing a really fine job 

Thanks!

And a rolling chassis

20200327_193538sm-vi.jpg

And the left side rear most wheels do not touch the ground. I noticed when I assembled the chassis one side of the axle had a block where it connects to the trailing arm, which makes the axle sit an angle. I figured it was intentional so I left it, but ... well .. i guess I should have done something about it.

It happens, This is not for a model contest, it is mostly for fun and learning, so I am just going to live with it. I still need to decide on a paint scheme. 

Lots of cool options, I really like the "sunset" stripes which were popular in the 70s .. something like this maybe?

13793_4715678-vi.jpg

Challenging masking but not impossible.

I will think of something.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, tbill said:

Which paint is bubbling? Testors semi gloss black always gives me fits if I lay it on too heavy, it’ll give me solvent pops ( bubbles). It seems to be the only color in their line that does that to me.

Yeah - it's the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer that i think is causing the bubbles and -- I think it might be because I was a bit too "generous" in those areas with the lacquer spray.  Most of it was fine.  It was just on a couple of areas where I may have been a bit "generous" with the Model Master lacquer that it "bubbled".

I have been focusing on the cab, I spent some time assembling the sleeper, and realized before I got too far I should paint it. Since there is not much to be seen, I just hosed it down with AMMO one shot black primer

20200417_042209sm-vi.jpg

I also spent time cleaning up the cab. I spot primed the areas where I sanded the mold lines

20200417_042157sm-vi.jpg

It needs more work, but it is mostly there.

See ya next time...

On 4/9/2020 at 7:07 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

Yeah - it's the Model Master semi-gloss black lacquer that i think is causing the bubbles and -- I think it might be because I was a bit too "generous" in those areas with the lacquer spray.  Most of it was fine.  It was just on a couple of areas where I may have been a bit "generous" with the Model Master lacquer that it "bubbled".

Can you guys take this somewhere else please?  

Thanks