Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe Custom Cabriolet

Jeffcad

Hi Guys,

Sharing with you the first "light" restoration/conversion of the year. I had this Jo-Han's 1972 Cadillac Promo in decent body condition but the paint had some scratches, especially on the roof. After some paint clean-up, I decided to build it with an option that Cadillac was offering that year, the Custom Cabriolet edition, a half padded vinyl roof option on Eldorado models, with curved edges wrapped around the B pillar's side base. In comparison, the "regular" Eldorado Coupes had the entire roof covered with vinyl, with straight edges on the B pillar. I have detailed the interior with a new color, carpeting, "wood-ich" door panels, dashboard,  etc. For the exterior, Bare Metal foil everywhere of course, some X-tra thin white decals on hood, new Cadillac emblem, front and rear black rubber bumper stops were added, new larger white walls, specific and accurate hubcaps for the model-year. ( In fact, 1972 Jo-Han's Cadillac promos were offered with the 71's Cadillac hubcaps, which are different  from 1972 ). This 8.2L V8 baby needs some work again on chromes and I am still trying to find a source for int/ext. mirrors though... Anyway, not a mind blowing conversion here but at least some inconditional love for one of my favorite Cadillac model ever. ;) Hope you'll like it.

IM8A5908.JPG

IM8A5898.JPG

IM8A5896.JPG

IM8A5904.JPG

IM8A5909.JPG

• Like 1

Very well built model Jean-Philippe.  I like the modifications, and the color combination. Gorgeous!

Where did you find the hood ornament and decals? The hood ornament looks really nice and scale-thin.

Funny thing is that Cadillac continued the half-roof theme until the end of Eldorado.  My 1985 Eldorado Biarritz also has that type of partial vinyl roof. But because it is the Biarritz model, it also features stainless steel roof cladding.  This continued until Eldorado was discontinued.  But IMO, that vinyl roof didn't look good on the late model Eldos.

85_Eldo_02.jpg.9a7c1b1f000117b74a9f9a70516b60e2.jpg

On 1/3/2020 at 6:42 AM, peekay said:

That is beautiful!

I'm slowly building a '76 and am wondering which tires you used. They look just right.

Hello Peter, thanks !.

I want to see your 76 Eldorado once it's done, ;) The tires are the original ones, from the promo. But I put some larger white wall stickers on them to make the overall appearance more elegant.

"The tires are the original ones, from the promo. But I put some larger white wall stickers on them to make the overall appearance more elegant."

Thanks Jean-Philippe. It's that thicker white stripe that give the tyres the perfect look for that Caddy era. Might cut my own with my X-Acto circle cutter.

15 hours ago, peteski said:

Very well built model Jean-Philippe.  I like the modifications, and the color combination. Gorgeous!

Where did you find the hood ornament and decals? The hood ornament looks really nice and scale-thin.

Funny thing is that Cadillac continued the half-roof theme until the end of Eldorado.  My 1985 Eldorado Biarritz also has that type of partial vinyl roof. But because it is the Biarritz model, it also features stainless steel roof cladding.  This continued until Eldorado was discontinued.  But IMO, that vinyl roof didn't look good on the late model Eldos.

85_Eldo_02.jpg.9a7c1b1f000117b74a9f9a70516b60e2.jpg

Hi Peter, thanks !

What can I say other than I loooove your Eldorado and that you are a lucky man !!! :) I had a 73 Sedan DeVille a few years ago, driving her on a daily basis....I miss her a lot!.  Congrats for your Biarritz, she's gorgeous and I really love that colour combination, thanks for sharing that beauty with me. I always liked the visual details offered by the Biarritz models, as well as the chrome trims running around the hood ('77-'78).

I have found the hood ornaments on EBay, last september, these are 3D nickel plated emblems. They are not offered all the time but if you want I'll give you the link for the seller. And regarding the decals, they are water decals made by a compagny called Studio27, also foundable on EBay.

1 hour ago, Jeffcad said:

Hi Peter, thanks !

What can I say other than I loooove your Eldorado and that you are a lucky man !!! :) I had a 73 Sedan DeVille a few years ago, driving her on a daily basis....I miss her a lot!.  Congrats for your Biarritz, she's gorgeous and I really love that colour combination, thanks for sharing that beauty with me. I always liked the visual details offered by the Biarritz models, as well as the chrome trims running around the hood ('77-'78).

I have found the hood ornaments on EBay, last september, these are 3D nickel plated emblems. They are not offered all the time but if you want I'll give you the link for the seller. And regarding the decals, they are water decals made by a compagny called Studio27, also foundable on EBay.

Hi Jean-Philippe, thanks for your compliments.  I do love my 1:1 Eldorado. Too bad nobody (except for terrible TKM resin kit) makes a model of that car.  I have some small die-cast models and couple well done NEO 1:43 models.  In the '90s I used to drive a white 1984 Eldorado Biarritz as my daily driver, but after using it for many years I had to get rid of it.  Yes, IMO the Biarritz package is nice, without being too gaudy.

My GF found the blue/white one for me in a newspaper For Sale ad, back in 2000.  It only had 36000 miles on it.  I also love its color combination, and the white leather interior.  Even though it is smaller than the older Eldorados, it still rides (or should I say "floats like a boat") like the older cars did.  Today's cars don't ride like that anymore.  I only drive it few in the summer time, and put is away for the winter. In my area winter salt eats cars fast!  It now only has 43000 miles on it.  It needs some work, but it is still quite presentable. I take it to couple of car shows over the summer, where mine is usually a lone example of that body style at the shows.

When these cars were new, they were quite advanced technologically.  It has early throttle-body digital fuel injection, trip computer and digital gauges, power memory front seats, front-wheel drive, 4-wheel disk breaks and 4-wheel independent suspension (with torsion bars up front). With stabilizer bars on both ends it takes corners surprisingly well.  Sorry that I went' off-topic, but I thought you might like some more details.

For a daily driver I have a 2019 KIA Soul (and before that 2006 Scion xB).  I bet that you miss your '73 Sedan deVille! 

Yes, please let me know the hood ornament seller's name - hopefully he will be selling those ornaments again.  And I had no ideal that Studio27 made decals for Cadillacs. I know they made decals mostly for Japanese sports and competition cars.  What was the decal made for?  Do yo have its part number (so I will have easier time searching for it).  I have several Caddy kits to be built,and they could use those ornaments and decals.

Edited by peteski

On 1/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, peteski said:

Hi Jean-Philippe, thanks for your compliments.  I do love my 1:1 Eldorado. Too bad nobody (except for terrible TKM resin kit) makes a model of that car.  I have some small die-cast models and couple well done NEO 1:43 models.  In the '90s I used to drive a white 1984 Eldorado Biarritz as my daily driver, but after using it for many years I had to get rid of it.  Yes, IMO the Biarritz package is nice, without being too gaudy.

My GF found the blue/white one for me in a newspaper For Sale ad, back in 2000.  It only had 36000 miles on it.  I also love its color combination, and the white leather interior.  Even though it is smaller than the older Eldorados, it still rides (or should I say "floats like a boat") like the older cars did.  Today's cars don't ride like that anymore.  I only drive it few in the summer time, and put is away for the winter. In my area winter salt eats cars fast!  It now only has 43000 miles on it.  It needs some work, but it is still quite presentable. I take it to couple of car shows over the summer, where mine is usually a lone example of that body style at the shows.

When these cars were new, they were quite advanced technologically.  It has early throttle-body digital fuel injection, trip computer and digital gauges, power memory front seats, front-wheel drive, 4-wheel disk breaks and 4-wheel independent suspension (with torsion bars up front). With stabilizer bars on both ends it takes corners surprisingly well.  Sorry that I went' off-topic, but I thought you might like some more details.

For a daily driver I have a 2019 KIA Soul (and before that 2006 Scion xB).  I bet that you miss your '73 Sedan deVille! 

Yes, please let me know the hood ornament seller's name - hopefully he will be selling those ornaments again.  And I had no ideal that Studio27 made decals for Cadillacs. I know they made decals mostly for Japanese sports and competition cars.  What was the decal made for?  Do yo have its part number (so I will have easier time searching for it).  I have several Caddy kits to be built,and they could use those ornaments and decals.

Hi Peter, thanks for the details, of course, they are interesting for me. ;)

Your Eldorado is quite presentable for sure, looks in great shape overall. Good to know you are taking good care of her. As I had to travel a lot a few years ago, I had to sell my 73 DeVille and it was hard to let her go...loved her so much. She was incredibly reliable. I also kept her safe and off roads during winters, as you can easily understand the kind of long and cold winters we also have here in Quebec. No Cadillac in my parking lot nowadays though...but I hope to fix it very soon. :) I am a CLC member, "Cadillac only" fan since the last 30 years, used to work for the late private french Collection "Musée Keyaerts", one of the biggest Cadillac collection in the world, and I try to attend every major annual meetings in US or Europe when I can. I have the bug ! :) 

The seller's name for the hood ornament is agdmodels5115, on Ebay. No Cadillac emblems for now but I think he can take some orders. They are extremely well done, and not that expensive.

The studio27 decals I am using are the ones on the picture. Offered from time to time on Ebay so you'll probably have to check regularly.

Feel free to share your Cadillac kits once done, it'll be good to see them.

Cheers ! JP

extremely-thin-line-decal-white-studio27-w1200-h1200-9f263b4e7e49bac07115061e70beeebd.JPG

Thanks for the info JP.  Yes, once I get building my Caddy models I'll post my progress here.

As for the decals, I thought that those were not just pinstripes but also those Caddy emblems your model has on the C-pillars and trunk lid.  If  those are not decals, how did you make them? Bare Metal Foil under paint?

Your job at "Musée Keyaerts"  must  have been quite interesting.  You are a "Cadillac Man" for sure! :)

On 1/5/2020 at 9:08 PM, peteski said:

Thanks for the info JP.  Yes, once I get building my Caddy models I'll post my progress here.

As for the decals, I thought that those were not just pinstripes but also those Caddy emblems your model has on the C-pillars and trunk lid.  If  those are not decals, how did you make them? Bare Metal Foil under paint?

Your job at "Musée Keyaerts"  must  have been quite interesting.  You are a "Cadillac Man" for sure! :)

Hello Peter,

This job at the Keyaerts Collection was indeed mind blowing ! ;) A dream come true for a "Cadillac Man"  :)

White lines Studio27's decals and Cadillac emblems are water decals. Studio27's are about 5.5 inches long and they go from 0.1mil to 0.5mil in width. No matter the width needed, I always cut the lenght in smaller pieces to help with the manipulation. Regarding the Cadillac emblems, I've also found them on ebay but a few years ago. Quality is okay, not great. And these are last generation's Cadillac emblem so not really accurate for old caddies. Sorry, apparently I can't go back that late in my purchase history to get you a seller nor a manufacturer but here is a picture of them, hope it'll help you find some.

thumbnail_IMG_2787.jpg