Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chad's back - Jan 2020

Sledsel

Get the '65 Chevelle dirt tracker and put its roof on the Revell Z16 body to build an accurate Z16 model. B)

Then put the Revell roof on the AMT Chevelle body and build a dirt tracker, just so you don't waste anything. With everything else going on with the dirt-track package, no one will ever notice the inaccurate roof. :lol:

Model kits start at 16:00

77 Pinto   (with Coke decals)

65 Chevelle Modified Stocker (with white letter tires - let's hope they're nicer than previous mod stocker kits)

66 Buick Wildcat

Mail Box Chopper (he said 1st of 6, so they appear to be doing them all again)

1/32 scale 1932 Ford

Truck guys should be happy....  I don't know truck kits so someone will need to weigh in as to desirability...

GMC General (with Coke decals)

Tyrone Malone Kenworth Custom Drag Truck

Tyrone Malone Kenworth Hideout truck -- transporter for the drag truck

AMT Ford snow plow

Two Italeria  kits in 1/24:

Freightliner FLC tractor

40 Ft Container Trailer

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I sure like that they are doing all 6 trikes ! now I can get the Black max trike already have the rest I  see some  Big rigs I have to get ....LOL

I have four of them and miss the Black Max and Cobra Trikes so I'll wait until they come, otherwise it's only three Big Rigs I'm going to get from this months releases.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Get the '65 Chevelle dirt tracker and put its roof on the Revell Z16 body to build an accurate Z16 model. B)

Then put the Revell roof on the AMT Chevelle body and build a dirt tracker, just so you don't waste anything. With everything else going on with the dirt-track package, no one will ever notice the inaccurate roof. :lol:

Snake,

Happy New Year to you and everyone else on the forum!

Is the Z16 roof really that bad?  

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

Snake,

Happy New Year to you and everyone else on the forum!

Is the Z16 roof really that bad?  

Yup. And here's why : 

53 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

The big issue in my eyes with the Revell '65 Chevelle Z16's roofline is how straight-n-flat the roofline right over the doors is; a straight horizontal edgeline that has no tamper-towards-the-rear like the 1:1 has... it blatantly stands-out to my eye.

Yup. Once you see it, you can't UN-see it. :angry:

Mark & Snake,

Thanks for the comments.  I guess I'll have to eyeball my '64 Chevelle for comparison to see how to correct it.  I don't want to take the top off. 

I understand Dan Blocker got a convertible Z16 (Bonanza was sponsored by Chevy) and the other 200 were hardtops.  Someone cloned Blocker's car and the original has not publicly surfaced.  .  

High on my want list is the Tyrone Malone set, the container trailer, the snow plow. Will get a Pinto because I had one back in the day and it looks like a pretty cool kit. For me personally, one of the best months  of releases from AMT, Round Two I've seen in quite awhile

A big month indeed - Chad said "cool" exactly sixty-five times! :wacko:

I'll probably pick up the '32 3-window again to build it as an old hot rod (raked, with wheels from the All-Stars '40 Ford). Oddly it's always been referred to as a V8, but it's never had the V8 insignia on the headlight bar. Maybe get the Chevelle, too - put the body on an MPC Super Stocker chassis next time one gets reissued.

6 hours ago, RichCostello said:

What happened to the 66 Impala modified stocker? That's the one I'm waiting for, the Chevelle was done not that long ago. And how about the 65 Fairlane, is that even a possibility?

Patience, grasshopper...if the tool is intact (and it is) you will see it again at some point...

11 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

A big month indeed - Chad said "cool" exactly sixty-five times! :wacko:

? On the Chevelle Modified Stocker: "You can kinda see some of the COOL stuff that comes with it, like the 454 engine..."  OK, I'm just an old grump.  But I suspect Chad wouldn't recognize a 454 engine if he tripped over it. 

Isn't that '77 Pinto the same as the one released not long ago, except for the Coke machine?  Another one for the Coke collectors, I guess. I might go for the Chevelle to fix the Revell kit, though the idea of slicing and dicing those roofs is scary.  I still have a Snow Plow from the last re-issue.  Had two, sold one on eBay.  Nice to see the trike kits back.   

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

? On the Chevelle Modified Stocker: "You can kinda see some of the COOL stuff that comes with it, like the 454 engine..."  OK, I'm just an old grump.  But I suspect Chad wouldn't recognize a 454 engine if he tripped over it. 

Interesting....the box art on this kit calls the engine a 454....and I recently learned (from Mark B. who had just reviewed the text of a future Boyd project for accuracy and omissions) that this Modified Stocker kit was actually derived from the 1965 Chevelle Funny Car AWB kit, which itself included a typical AMT Chevy Big Block/Rat Motor.  As I originally recall the kit first being introduced somewhere between 1970 and 72, and the real 454 broke cover for the 1970 model year, that means the kit's engine should be a reasonable facsimile of a real 454.  

I plan to post pictures of the kit content of the kit in the several few days and then you can form your own judgment rather than relying on my interpretation...

Best...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Like the AMT altered wheelbase funny car this kit is derived from (and the Nova/'63 Tempest which have a similar engine), this "rat motor" is on the smallish side.  The BBC in the '60/'61 Ranchero kit (which is the '66 Impala engine) fills the hole a bit better.

The Modified Stocker kits (all nine of them) were first issued in 1971.  The two Chevies (Chevelle, '66 Impala) stayed in the catalog the longest, through '74 if I remember right.  The '66 Skylark made the quickest exit.

Edited by Mark
Info