Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hemi Cuda !

Lowlife ! !

I think its a really good kit, very well engraved and detailed etc.  Yes ive heard the arches are a bit wide for a Cuda,  but generally im well pleased with it.

After seeing Dann Tiers cuda build i might see about purchasing the p/e set for this, which is very good !

Not an exact copy, but im going for something like this beauty, which ive had as a screensaver on the PC for ages !

hemicuda.jpg

6 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This is gonna be BRILLIANT!!!!.....I love making stencils first!!

I like to cut first and then cuss when it doesn't fit and then regret it.... and then pour a drink and sulk... just kidding... (only done that a few times)

Stencils are pretty awsome. I keep a giant stack of notecards handy for that exact purpose.

2 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I like to cut first and then cuss when it doesn't fit and then regret it.... and then pour a drink and sulk... just kidding... (only done that a few times)

Stencils are pretty awsome. I keep a giant stack of notecards handy for that exact purpose.

Same here, in fact, i save them when i'm done, and mark them in case i ever build that kit again.

Nice work so far Martin. I love that car you're taking inspiration from. It kind of reminds me of the stuff that the Ring Brothers, or Foose would build. The smoothed out engins bay not only looks good, but saves a lot of detailing work further down the line. Of course an engine bay like that needs a serious motor in it. What's it gonna be? Something supercharged with 1000bhp?

11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This is gonna be BRILLIANT!!!!.....I love making stencils first!!

Haha, thanks Dann its so much easier working with cardboard,  i also save the chrome effect card you get in easter eggs etc and use it on my lowrider builds.. You can engrave it too as its card !

1 hour ago, beeRS said:

Nice work so far Martin. I love that car you're taking inspiration from. It kind of reminds me of the stuff that the Ring Brothers, or Foose would build. The smoothed out engins bay not only looks good, but saves a lot of detailing work further down the line. Of course an engine bay like that needs a serious motor in it. What's it gonna be? Something supercharged with 1000bhp?

Thanks Sonny i do love those style of cars, Foose is the master, and some of the Ring Brothers stuff are the best detailed cars ive seen.

Not sure about saving  detailing work later though ? When you add these smooth panels you also have to think about how it looks from underneath, and the bonnet has to close properly, engine has to still fit etc ! 

I think its probably easier to add the details in the bay rather than smooth it all !  As for the engine, it has a HEMI so its going to be big whatever happens !

Added a bit more to this, i wanted to fill the gap in front of the radiator so ive continued the smooth sides, down to the front. The front panel has to fit exact or it lifts the body away from the engine bay.

Covered the radiator bulge in plastic, and removed the bonnet pin panels from the sides. Bit more smoothing and i can primer it next  !

Hemi has been started, its a bit tight in there but does fit ok !

More soon, thanks for looking !

20200103_165521.jpg

20200103_165722.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Joe, Dann, thanks guys !

Im doing bits here n there on this, weathers still naff to even primer so im still cutting stuff up !

Dashboard was next, wanted a different look so ive smoothed it !

Here it is before , sorry forgot to take a pic of the real thing !

20200107_124712.jpg

Chopped out the drivers section...

20200106_114601.jpg

And heres an interior mock up, maybe a centre console next ?  ( dash not quite finished off yet!  )

20200106_183131.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys !

Bit more on this,  centre console has been scratchbuilt and the interior is now Ivory with a gold dash and console... So i guess im not following the original cars colours of blue and silver !

The 4 dials (Audi R8) and cuda badge are copying the original layout, just smoother !  Might add another colour to the interior as its a bit plain, but the Ivory colour is also going on the  engine bay and floorpan.

Still lots more to add to the interior,  so i`ll post up a pic when its finished !

20200114_173307.jpg

20200117_110955.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thankyou for the comments !

Interior is pretty much finished, still not glued down but finished !
Steering column was scratchbuilt, and i finally used my p/e steering wheel ive had for a while, new colour carpet and rear shelf breaks the interior up a bit.
Ive added a p/e grill for the centre console and electric window switches for the doors too. Pin shifter and indicator stalk, and some buttons in the console ( which i might change! )

More soon, engine time next i reckon...

20200120_122530.jpg