Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hemi Cuda !

Lowlife ! !

On 1/20/2020 at 11:18 PM, Lowlife ! ! said:

Thankyou for the comments !

Interior is pretty much finished, still not glued down but finished !
Steering column was scratchbuilt, and i finally used my p/e steering wheel ive had for a while, new colour carpet and rear shelf breaks the interior up a bit.
Ive added a p/e grill for the centre console and electric window switches for the doors too. Pin shifter and indicator stalk, and some buttons in the console ( which i might change! )

More soon, engine time next i reckon...

20200120_122530.jpg

Super clean interior Martin, great colour selection and well detailed.

Look forward to the engine work.

Thankyou for the commens guys, much appreciated !

More mock ups,  i check everything still fits together reguarly, best not to find any problems later....

Still not definately set on these wheels, rears are fine but the front are just a tad too big i think ?  Looking for quite an open style of wheel as i have p/e disc brakes for it..

Engine was progressing, but i thought I`d de-chrome the valve covers, carbs etc. They have been soaking in bleach for 4 days now and they are just starting to clear, Revell certainly chrome these things thick !

More engine updates soon, at least the headers are fitted and luckily still clear the engine bay alright !    ( panic attack there ! )

20200126_150122.jpg

Thanks Bruce, nice Cuda !

Well i think this is the first time ive got this far on a project with no definate decision on wheels, but Ive finally found some !

These were stolen from a 37 Ford project that Id started, (no idea what kit their from? ) but Im well happy they are just what i was looking for ...
p/e discs should show through okay, so its time for suspension !

20200128_171756.jpg

Going to need a LOT of cutting about to get it this low, so wish me luck eh !

20200128_171700.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys....

Well im still on this, bit of a delay as i cant cut my p/e discs out so i cant use them yet !  

Ive just bought Tamiya p/e scissors but the discs are so thick it chews the teeth up on the scissors.  What do you guys use to cut out p/e pieces ??

And i eventually went back to the original wheels, as i found plastic disc brakes that fitted them !

So ive been working on the rear first, tops of the tyres were cut down, the top of the diff was smoothed, the tunnel was enlarged, and the inner arches thinned... anything that lowers it.
And its just at a height i can live with, anything lower will require new inner arches etc, major surgery as the rear seats wont fit !

Heres the rear mocked up, with the chassis and axle in. Front is just resting in place but this will be the real challenge...

20200207_122223.jpg

Oh that looks nice... great stance & nice work!

36 minutes ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

What do you guys use to cut out p/e pieces ??

Personally on the thicker stuff I will rough cut it with an x-acto leaving a big nub... and then carefully sand the sprue nub away with a course sanding stick.... it usually ruins a sanding stick, but it gets the job done.

I wish there was something between stainless and aluminum for photo etched parts... the stainless is so hard to cut, aluminum is too flimsy and brass is.... well ....brass colored.?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys...

Just starting back on this again after a short Hospital visit for a hernia repair, been in bed for a few days not wanting to do anything but walk properly again !

Felt a bit more with it today, so spent a couple of hours on the Hemi..

I smoothed the valve covers, enlarging the holes id drilled to accept black tube that sits flush. In to this i can add the yellow HT leads.
Induction is an old silencer box, smoothed with added metal rings etc. From these i`ll run 2mm solder wire down towards the rad, the distributor has a tube fitted over it to feed the leads out each side !

A bit twin turbo looking hopefully !

I quite like it, simple but it looks good with the metal pipes running out, i`ll add these once the engine is in place !

More soon, thanks fer` lookin in Folks !

20200216_211635.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thought id have an update,  slowly getting back into this as i recover !

Still more engine bay work, i needed a radiator and didnt have room, so i made this ! Fits around the intake and covers up the ugly pulleys etc...

Starting to piece the suspension together next, this is a hard one to lower, but its getting there..

Hopefully more soon,  then painting time !

20200312_174718.jpg

20200312_174904.jpg

18 minutes ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Thought id have an update,  slowly getting back into this as i recover !

Still more engine bay work, i needed a radiator and didnt have room, so i made this ! Fits around the intake and covers up the ugly pulleys etc...

Starting to piece the suspension together next, this is a hard one to lower, but its getting there..

Hopefully more soon,  then painting time !

20200312_174718.jpg

20200312_174904.jpg

Beautiful paint scheme choice, and excellent detail work. she is going to look awesome!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, been busy but hope to be back on this !

Suspension is as far along as i can go, need the floor/interior/body together before i can finish up the front suspension !

So its bodywork time..  ☹️
Smoothed door handles and mirrors, both have big holes to fill. Plus a smooth front valence with the wings blended in, and the bonnet pins smoothed off !
im loosing the window surrounds too for a cleaner look !

Primer coat coming up and paint next ! !

20200424_112937.jpg

1 hour ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Thanks guys, been busy but hope to be back on this !

Suspension is as far along as i can go, need the floor/interior/body together before i can finish up the front suspension !

So its bodywork time..  ☹️
Smoothed door handles and mirrors, both have big holes to fill. Plus a smooth front valence with the wings blended in, and the bonnet pins smoothed off !
im loosing the window surrounds too for a cleaner look !

Primer coat coming up and paint next ! !

20200424_112937.jpg

Smoooooth looking ride, Bud!!!!! -glad you're back at it!!!