Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I do the grass?

landman

I am planning another background using this photo of an old open faced shed. Obviously, just folding the image at the base of the shed won't look very realistic. So I'll have to build a base with grass and weeds and maybe a clump of bush ot two. I am open to suggestions and hints at suppliers.

DSC_0275 - Copy.JPG

First off, define "grass". ?  A golf course has different grades of grass.  You want a natural random grass.  It's the wrong time of year to look around outside, but I hit the jackpot one year at the right time and found an awesome selection.  To be convincing, buying railroad grass will look fake.  My 2 cents.

7600781946_c325000a15_o.jpg

I have done some extensive research on this Pat and found the static grass method to be the most realistic for my taste and the scale we work with, however. to get everything together could require a good investment and a 1/25 diorama can use quite a bit of material.  I always look for cheap alternatives to paying for expensive "hobby" stuff.  Go online and find yourself a wig...yes a WIG.  They are nylon and you can cut to whatever length you need, paint it, and it works great in a static charged applicator.  You can find a long hair blond wig for about $10 - 15 bucks and it will supply you with A LOT of material.  Next, make yourself an applicator....you can find how to videos all over the net but make sure to get a good negative ion generator.  I use the "grassking" brand and have had great luck with it after using some cheaper ones that failed after a short period of time.  Here is a pic of it.

503816349_download(2).jpg.2517de44193252e6057713bc9da388e1.jpg

Here are some shots of what I managed using a wig (colored green) and my home made applicator.  Bare in mind, the pictures are before I cleaned up the loose grass.  Hope this helps!

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.dd2680698a01222850c8debf1c29fa03.JPGIMG_2221.JPG.0d42865ce99172ac096e3675c6fe84bd.JPGIMG_2224.JPG.022628e49feb3ce3341a3828d3a63acc.JPG

20 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Excellent information on the static grass, Bill...... and who would have thought of using a wig? Sounds like static grass is what I shall need for my project.

David

Forgot to mention David and Pat, I used pink foam insulation for my base ground...it might make a difference on how well the static charge works.  If you use wood or something solid, the static charge may not be as strong...just something to consider.  The foam works easy as you can place the nail (I used a paper clip) right into the foam and move it around easily as you lay the grass.  Not sure how a hard surface would work...haven't tried it.

That's amazing, Bill. I'm curious and would like to try this on a diorama I'm doing. I'm not familiar with using a negative ion generator. How does that work, and does the "grass" stay upright and attached with some kind of glue or adhesive?

21 minutes ago, Shambles said:

That's amazing, Bill. I'm curious and would like to try this on a diorama I'm doing. I'm not familiar with using a negative ion generator. How does that work, and does the "grass" stay upright and attached with some kind of glue or adhesive?

Hi John,  yes the grass stays upright after the glue dries...the pics I posted was actually done over a year ago and it is still a work in progress but the grass is still as I applied it.  Basically mix some white glue with water and apply to surface (pretty thick) then use the applicator to sprinkle the grass.  Here is a good link to show how the negative ion generator works and how to wire it up.  In the video, he makes a real nice set up but the principle applies to any set up you come up with.   https://steamtraininfo.com/for-modelers/using-static-grass/static-grass-applicators/static-grass-applicator    

On 1/3/2020 at 11:31 PM, landman said:

I am planning another background using this photo of an old open faced shed. Obviously, just folding the image at the base of the shed won't look very realistic. So I'll have to build a base with grass and weeds and maybe a clump of bush ot two. I am open to suggestions and hints at suppliers.

DSC_0275 - Copy.JPG

Just a thought, Pat..... are you wanting to reproduce the biege parched grass that surrounds your old open faced shed, or would you be making the grass green?

David

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Just a thought, Pat..... are you wanting to reproduce the biege parched grass that surrounds your old open faced shed, or would you be making the grass green?

David

I'd like it the same as in the picture.

• 2 weeks later...