Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '66 Wildcat kit

Motor City

For a more accurate chassis, (I have a work-in-progress boxed up somewhere) the 65 Impala from revell is a good starting point. To get the correct length, I spliced the front portion of an AMT 62 Catalina, cutting just aft of the firewall to get a good glue surface on the Revell chassis pan. This insures you get the curved portion of the Pontiac frame rails just behind the wheel openings, which are shaped way differently on the BOP frames than the Chevy frames. I'll see if I can dig that sucker out...

Kinda late to the party, but this kit does make a beautiful replica when complete.   I had no idea the interior was wrong, but I really liked mine.  I put it on ebay for what I thought was an impossible price and it lives with someone else now.  Maybe someday I will do another.   And if you want just the base kit without the latest improvements, you can probably find on at an auction site for less.  

As I get older, I don't mind the one piece chassis, as most of my cars are never seen from the bottom once complete.  I'm the only one that ever knows what's under there.  

I am going to build it and put it on the shelf. Unlike many newer kits I have seen, when displayed it looks right.

Dash is okay and if I want more correct door panels, I'll print some pics from google and glue them in. done.

Not going to complain about a 50 year old kit/mold, but an incorrect new kit is ridiculous.

Nope, Scott is correct. The Riviera used an X-frame from 1963 to1970. That's a Monte Carlo (used for 41 other models from '78-'88, according to the seller's own info) frame in that ebay listing, Says so:

1978-88 Monte Carlo Regal Grand National Nice Solid Frame

The seller used the same photo in the ad describing this as a '66 Riviera frame, which it isn't.

1966 Buick Riviera Frame

This is the frame from a 1966 Riviera GS

image.png.57b0533d5e30f6bdd09d23ee517f6202.png

Edited by SfanGoch

Scott and Joe,

I sure was wrong on that!  I read years ago that the '65 Riviera was the last to use the "X" frame.  Obviously that was not correct.  I always thought the "E" bodies from '66 to '70 (Riviera, Toronado and Eldorado) shared the same perimeter frame, and read that GM had considered making the Riviera FWD for '66.  Buick felt that its buyers would prefer the traditional RWD, so it appears the Riviera had an  "X" frame that was unique to the North American market.

Thanks for correcting me on the photo, too, Joe.  That's an interesting induction system on the 425 engine!

For all you modelers, don't worry.  AMT put a new "X" frame chassis under the '66 Riviera model car (I checked it against my '65)!

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

For all you modelers, don't worry.  AMT put a new "X" frame chassis under the '66 Riviera model car (I checked it against my '65)!

Great!!

That will come in handy for my '63 Riv build!

That is if the '63 and '66 Rivieras were relatively close in engine and chassis configuration.

Steve

On 1/6/2020 at 1:26 PM, Sledsel said:

I am going to build it and put it on the shelf. Unlike many newer kits I have seen, when displayed it looks right.

Dash is okay and if I want more correct door panels, I'll print some pics from google and glue them in. done.

Not going to complain about a 50 year old kit/mold, but an incorrect new kit is ridiculous.

I agree with you there.  There's something about those old kits that look just right when displayed.  What's the use of all that state of the art rivet countjng detail if when assembled, it looks all goofy and incorrect.  Ugh! 

Edited by the other Mike S.

34 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I agree with you there.  There's something about those old kits that look just right when displayed.  What's the use of all that state of the art rivet countjng detail if when assembled, it looks all goofy and incorrect.  Ugh! 

I agree too. I like to build models that look like something you might see at a 1/1 car show, and of all of the 1/1 car shows I've been to, I've never asked the owner of a car to flip it over so I could see if the chassis looked right.

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Steven,

The 401 was standard on the '63-'66 Riviera, with the 425 optional.  The Super Wildcat dual-quad 425 was optional on the '64-'66, and standard on the '65 Riviera GS.  The Formula Five chrome wheels were an option on the '64-'66.     

So which engine is in the '66 kit?

I don't have one.......yet.

When the time comes to build the '63, I'll be looking for one to raid for parts.

I'll be using the original '63 wheels, but I will be looking for modern kit options for the engine and chassis.

Steve

On 1/7/2020 at 3:19 AM, SfanGoch said:

Nope, Scott is correct. The Riviera used an X-frame from 1963 to1970. That's a Monte Carlo (used for 41 other models from '78-'88, according to the seller's own info) frame in that ebay listing, Says so:

1978-88 Monte Carlo Regal Grand National Nice Solid Frame

The seller used the same photo in the ad describing this as a '66 Riviera frame, which it isn't.

1966 Buick Riviera Frame

This is the frame from a 1966 Riviera GS

image.png.57b0533d5e30f6bdd09d23ee517f6202.png

Also, it's interesting to note, the '78-'88 G-body perimeter frame has one of the shortest wheelbases of any perimeter frame GM has ever produced.  I read once, that if they had to go any smaller (less than 108" wb), it would have required a unitized body structure instead.   I don't know if the latter is actually true or not.     

Edited by the other Mike S.

11 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I agree too. I like to build models that look like something you might see at a 1/1 car show, and of all of the 1/1 car shows I've been to, I've never asked the owner of a car to flip it over so I could see if the chassis looked right.

Exactly... As long as it looks correct, I am okay with it. To many new kits just look wonky to me, so to see these old kits come out makes me happy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 8:46 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

That will come in handy for my '63 Riv build!

That is if the '63 and '66 Rivieras were relatively close in engine and chassis configuration.

Steven, the '66 box states a 425 engine, but you can change the induction system and air cleaner decal with parts box extras or aftermarket pieces to represent any of the available engines, since externally they appear the same, being based on the same block casting. The chassis is nicely done, but should be 2 scale inches too long for a '63, as I think they rode on a 117" wheelbase, whereas '66-'70 were on a 119" wheelbase. Easy enough modification, especially on a X-frame; just take it out of the center area, and shorten  floor pan to match. If you want to see what's in the box, here's a nice video peek: