Model Cars Magazine Forum

I hate plumbing!

I can relate about plumbing! The house I'm in now that was a MAJOR issue before I could even move in. NOTHING worked and there was a super huge leak in the ceiling of the kitchen where there was a "plugged" water line. I didn't know this till I had them come and turn the water on. The water was never shut off, but was turned off in the basement. The millisecond we turned the water on, water is shooting out of the ceiling like an upside down geyser and right then I could see why the ceiling had become damaged.

Sooooo....................I got out my tools, went to fix the leak and then there was ANOTHER leak! I must've fixed 7-8 different issues with the plumbing (including the bathroom) before I could call it quits and move in. Some of it was vandalism and this was reinforced by what a neighbor had told me about the people that lived here before. Either which way, I LOVE the house as it stands alone and not attached to anyone, big yard, has a driveway (IMPORTANT!), quiet neighborhood and nice neighbors.

One con is that it's takes longer to get to work now (30 minutes as opposed to 10-15), so when it snows which we can get a lot of, I'll more than likely be calling off. I'm also literally against the Susquehanna river (I can see it out my back windows) so I have to be a bit more alert if we get excessive rain for a period of time.

Thank goodness I do know a bit about plumbing as I was able to fix all the problems. Had I needed to call a plumber, I can GUARANTEE this would have run into the THOUSANDS. :o

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

I can relate about plumbing! The house I'm in now that was a MAJOR issue before I could even move in. NOTHING worked and there was a super huge leak in the ceiling of the kitchen where there was a "plugged" water line. I didn't know this till I had them come and turn the water on. The water was never shut off, but was turned off in the basement. The millisecond we turned the water on, water is shooting out of the ceiling like an upside down geyser and right then I could see why the ceiling had become damaged.

Sooooo....................I got out my tools, went to fix the leak and then there was ANOTHER leak! I must've fixed 7-8 different issues with the plumbing (including the bathroom) before I could call it quits and move in. Some of it was vandalism and this was reinforced by what a neighbor had told me about the people that lived here before. Either which way, I LOVE the house as it stands alone and not attached to anyone, big yard, has a driveway (IMPORTANT!), quiet neighborhood and nice neighbors.

One con is that it's takes longer to get to work now (30 minutes as opposed to 10-15), so when it snows which we can get a lot of, I'll more than likely be calling off. I'm also literally against the Susquehanna river (I can see it out my back windows) so I have to be a bit more alert if we get excessive rain for a period of time.

Thank goodness I do know a bit about plumbing as I was able to fix all the problems. Had I needed to call a plumber, I can GUARANTEE this would have run into the THOUSANDS. :o

Wow Bill! You and water just don't get along.

David G.

4 minutes ago, David G. said:

Wow Bill! You and water just don't get along.

David G.

Hee-Hee! ?

It's interesting that my place doesn't' have a sump pump. Now as old as this house is it could be that it never needed it. There is an embankment that's right behind my yard as there's train tracks with the occasional train that goes by. That is a barrier of sorts for the river, but of course if the river gets high enough, it can flood anyway. Just the same, I keep nothing of value in the basement. Heard that tune before when my other place flooded back in '11 and that wasn't necessarily from the river, but from the sewers backing up when the river went over a certain height.

10 hours ago, Mark said:

Let me guess: "upstairs bathroom?"

Nope, Main drain under kitchen sink... it has been an ongoing pain in my rear for 3 days!

Bout to run a snake down the thing to try and clear whatever blockage is in there...

I created a tidal wave of nastiness all over my kitchen and myself yesterday morning, it was all I could do not to work my kitchen over with a pipe wrench!

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Dang Bill, your plumbing issues make mine look non existent!

Luckily my house is located on a hill... as I have a river just across the street.

We had some serious flooding here last year, fortunately the house was perfectly fine.

I couldn't leave the though, unless it was by boat. My road and the bottom of my driveway was under 8ft of water.

This is the next day after the water level decreased by about 6ft from the night before.

20190224_080325.thumb.jpg.f48ecc574f960c82b569d218bce2f997.jpg

That white sign down there by that mailbox was completely submerged the night before, and that is over 8ft tall.

It was pretty wild to say the least!!!

Under the sink drain is usually pretty easy, a good project to get your feet wet (so to speak) with plumbing, as the drain isn't under pressure.  Maybe do some checking online or buy a basic home repairs book, get the right tools (you'll need them again in the future), and have at it.  You'll never waste your time by learning how to do something.

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

Under the sink drain is usually pretty easy, a good project to get your feet wet (so to speak) with plumbing, as the drain isn't under pressure.  Maybe do some checking online or buy a basic home repairs book, get the right tools (you'll need them again in the future), and have at it.  You'll never waste your time by learning how to do something.

I agree with you, but I'm no stranger to plumbing. I just happen to HATE it!

I'm about 5 min out from running the snake... see what kinda crud is down there this time.

If it clogging regularly there is a product for boats that is pretty good. Its called enzyme waste remover/sea blue and one bottle of it should last years if it one drain.  A couple of capfulls down the plug hole breaks the gunge down so it disolves in water. The first few weeks you may have to use it daily but once its cleared the pipes once a month will do it. We use it on the boat cos someone put small diametre pipes on the porcelin thrones when it was built and they blocked often until we started using these products. Their enviromentally safe too

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Hating to fix things makes sense.  You're doing a bunch of work, and end up back at square one with nothing to really show for it.  It's still worth it though.

I fix things for a living...6 days a week 60hrs a week... then come home to plumbing of all things. Yea I hate it.

After running the snake and getting it completely and utterly stuck, I spent a good portion of my morning (before work today) digging a hole beside the house to find the drain.

I located the drain and found that the 90° fitting right where it goes from galvanized to pvc had rotted out and my snake had went through the hole and was stuck in the mud! Lovely!

Now I've got it all dug back and plan on running new pipe Monday before work.

Did I mention I HATE plumbing?

14 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

A 90 in a drain was the way it went back i n the day. a 45 is so much better. 

Yea, I plan to replace the whole piece from under the sink to about 4ft outside the house... putting 45s in place of the 90s.

Massively frustrating.

The geniuses who had last ran drains at my house (long before I bought it) put in 1 1/4" pipe! Way undersized...

Its really a joke.

But, on the bright side it will all be done correctly Monday. 

Maybe then I can get some (much needed) bench time in!

Yeah. Plumbing. When I moved into this house, it had been vandalized and all the copper stripped out...wiring and plumbing. I camped out for months, finally got everything reasonably livable, and the heavy drain line from the bathroom to the septic tank collapsed. That was fun, and I experienced a new frontier in stench.

29 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah. Plumbing. When I moved into this house, it had been vandalized and all the copper stripped out...wiring and plumbing. I camped out for months, finally got everything reasonably livable, and the heavy drain line from the bathroom to the septic tank collapsed. That was fun, and I experienced a new frontier in stench.

I don't even wanna think about that... let alone smell it! LOL!!

I've always tried to avoid calling plumbers or electricians but today I came real close!