Model Cars Magazine Forum

Page one story about our shared passion in todays Wall Street Journal

Don't knock Mr. Gustavson as a one off loner, he's been a big spokesman and promoter for the hobby for 40 years! He gets the word out there that building model cars is a valid, legitimate pastime. And he puts a LOT of serious thought and talent into building realistic miniatures.

I don't understand why the public can validate and appreciate that military and aircraft modelers are serious hobbyists, while their perception is that automotive builders are just overgrown, socially secluded kids.

We need to have more serious builders like Juha Airio and our own Steve Guthmiller out there promoting and showing the general population how realistic these "toys" can look!

Don't be shy guys, just put your best foot forward.

The average impression that the general public has about model building of any genre as done by adults is that they're playing with toys. Even mainstream hobbies, like coin and stamp collecting, get the cocked-to-one-side, confused dog look from people. Hell, I get that same reaction, followed with a pretty stupid "Why?", about collecting 45 and 78 RPM records.

I guess you're right.

If somebody has a pastime that keeps them sane and contented while having to deal with the stresses of everyday life - They're looked upon as some poor, misdirected fool.

I guess video games and social media are the only acceptable hobbies in this day and age.

But where's the sense of accomplishment in that? 

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I guess video games and social media are the only acceptable hobbies in this day and age.

But where's the sense of accomplishment in that? 

You can "like" and "re-tweet" things.  Those are great accomplishments! Or you can post photos of your models and eagerly await "likes". ;)

Edited by peteski

It’s also very acceptable for millions of adults to sit for hours and stare and yell and cheer at other adults playing games on fields dressed in matching uniforms, or to sit for hours and listen to other adults talk for hours about those other adults playing games. Additionally, it’s imperative that those same adults spend millions of dollars on paraphernalia to indicate to others the uniforms of the adults they think are somehow superior to all others.  But we’re weird for gluing plastic together...

A lot of the time people are confused about exactly what model cars are - they think I have a collection of die casts or something - even after I tell them I made them. They also ask “can they drive or anything?”. I say yes, but I’m too big to get in the doors.  

In other news, this short article on NPR about how important an “art habit” can be - building model cars is an art:

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/30/792439555/making-art-is-good-for-your-health-heres-how-to-start-a-habit

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

It’s also very acceptable for millions of adults to sit for hours and stare and yell and cheer at other adults playing games on fields dressed in matching uniforms, or to sit for hours and listen to other adults talk for hours about those other adults playing games. Additionally, it’s imperative that those same adults spend millions of dollars on paraphernalia to indicate to others the uniforms of the adults they think are somehow superior to all others.  But we’re weird for gluing plastic together...

Agreed!  My wife comes from a family of sports fans and tv watchers.  They do not get my hobbies at all.  I once had her older brother in my model room for a visit.  He blurted out that this was WORK and why did I want to do work in my down time?   His downtime is spent resting on the couch.  

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

A lot of the time people are confused about exactly what model cars are - they think I have a collection of die casts or something - even after I tell them I made them. They also ask “can they drive or anything?”. I say yes, but I’m too big to get in the doors.  

In other news, this short article on NPR about how important an “art habit” can be - building model cars is an art:

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/30/792439555/making-art-is-good-for-your-health-heres-how-to-start-a-habit

And now people are sitting and yelling and cheering for some other people who are sitting in chairs playing video games professionally. They risk nothing but carpal tunnel syndrome as compared to regular athletes who risk serious injury to achieve greatness. But people think this is great. I don't get it. But we're the whack jobs for having a creative hobby.

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

You beat me to it, and did it with exquisite eloquence. Well played! B)

And also, no one thinks you weird if you devote an inordinate amount of your time and money trying to hit a little ball into a hole in the ground with a series of expensive sticks. I just don't get that one at all. 

I also don't get fishing, unless you are hungry, and then I totally get it. 

You know I build some Legos from time to time including this Porsche 911 last year.  It is funny how popular Legos have become with adults and kids.  My grandsons got me started building Legos but I cannot get them to build models cars.  Though they are mostly all car fans.  I do get the same craziness remarks with Lego builds also.  

28712E9A-9B4F-467D-BC31-930DE655C653.jpeg

Edited by drodg
Added photo

26 minutes ago, drodg said:

I do get the same craziness remarks with Lego builds also.  

I guess they have professional "whack jobs" building Legos, because those people get paid quite a bit for designing subjects using said bricks. Ever seen the stuff at Legoland? Amazing!

Legos are a great hobby, my son has become a master at creating unique subjects with them.

But, I can't get over the rough edges and the inconsistent scales. I guess I'm too OCD about scale and details. That's the modeller part of me. ?

2 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I guess they have professional "whack jobs" building Legos, because those people get paid quite a bit for designing subjects using said bricks. Ever seen the stuff at Legoland? Amazing!

Legos are a great hobby, my son has become a master at creating unique subjects with them.

But, I can't get over the rough edges and the inconsistent scales. I guess I'm too OCD about scale and details. That's the modeller part of me. ?

I agree.  I am a stickler about detail etc on my models.  The 911 I built is cool 1/8 scale and huge but there is still something weird about it that just doesn't look just right.  

Some years ago a few of my in-laws tried to make me give the hobby up, on the basis that it was inconvenient and untidy, and my elderly mother has never liked any hobbies apart from watching TV.

They said I should find another interest, which even if I didn't like I would get eventually used to, for Christ's sake!

I have been patronized like this most of my life, my late father did encourage me at first, but didn't like my obsessiveness, and actively undermined me in later years, he wasn't a bad guy, he had some talent as a painter, but was just so messed up by his early life and other issues. 

I love the fact that despite my experience, there are examples of multi-generational model makers in the same family, especially in North America.

However I have resolutely refused to give up, even though I have periods of inactivity caused by suffering from mental health issues.

Do your thing, keep doing your thing.