Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome Marker Pens

I love the Molotow pens.  You can easily touch up the sprue attachment points for chrome parts (after sanding those points smooth)...  Use them to chrome steering wheel horn rings, vent window posts, interior door handles & window cranks, dashboard details, etc...  I've even used them to touch up sanded off mold lines on bumpers (can't notice a difference between the kit chrome & Molotow touch ups)...  I've also used them to chrome a resin bumper/grille and was very satisfied with the result.

I would have loved them had they not completely quit working after the first use.

I've shaken them till I thought my arm would fall off... I've pumped them, I've dipped them in alcohol... I've stored them every direction physics will allow and they just do not work for me, but u really wish they did. 

The product inside them is amazing... the tip or whatever is completely garbage.

4 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I would have loved them had they not completely quit working after the first use.

I've shaken them till I thought my arm would fall off... I've pumped them, I've dipped them in alcohol... I've stored them every direction physics will allow and they just do not work for me, but u really wish they did. 

The product inside them is amazing... the tip or whatever is completely garbage.

You're better off applying the ink with a brush anyway.

It's much easier to control that way.

Likewise, a lot of guys air brush it on for larger areas.

I agree, I don't care at all for the tips either.

Steve

5 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

My brand new one didn't work at all.  I tried everything and got zilch out of it.  I thought that it was dry.  I ended up taking it apart and rolling the felt thing or what ever it is that's in the middle of the pen and lo and behold that was enough to get it started.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You're better off applying the ink with a brush anyway.

It's much easier to control that way.

Likewise, a lot of guys air brush it on for larger areas.

I agree, I don't care at all for the tips either.

Steve

I've given that some thought actually... just buy the larger "refill" bottle and use it as brush paint.

27 minutes ago, showrods said:

My brand new one didn't work at all.  I tried everything and got zilch out of it.  I thought that it was dry.  I ended up taking it apart and rolling the felt thing or what ever it is that's in the middle of the pen and lo and behold that was enough to get it started.

I pulled mine out also... it was very wet... mine will even pool up around the tip but never actually flow from it. weird... and for the price, totally unacceptable.

27 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I really like the 'chrome' inside these things, but once I got the tip primed on mine, it started flowing too freely! Sometimes, I hafta blot a little on a paper towel to keep from getting 'out-of-bounds' on my work.

Wow, these things seem major inconsistent at best! Lol!!

These are so good at chrome they should be in everyone's tool kit! Everyone likes to bash them about small things but when results are this good just take in stride.

One thing is, they have to applied looking like you put too much on ... thick and bubbly. This is the way .. when it dries it will be tight to the part and shiny!

image.png.bffb936f55a3e8a12f94a0ea972073c9.png

Edited by Foxer

I have mixed reaction to these pens.  I was trying to do real fine trim around a window area.  All went well until I tried to turn the corner and the pen "puked" down the side of the car.  Up until that point I was pretty well satisfied with the application.  Maybe I held it too long in one place or possibly put a bit more pressure while making the turn, either way I have to strip the car and start over.

I've been using a Decocolor pen for some time now and really can not see the difference between it and BMF on small stuff like trim around windows and small scripts. But it looks a bit smeared on large parts. Plus its never has dried up or puked on the paint.LOL

Edited by Oldschool4x4

3 hours ago, Oldschool4x4 said:

I've been using a Decocolor pen for some time now and really can not see the difference between it and BMF on small stuff like trim around windows and small scripts. But it looks a bit smeared on large parts. Plus its never has dried up or puked on the paint.LOL

Where did you find the Decocolor pen?

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I have mixed reaction to these pens.  I was trying to do real fine trim around a window area.  All went well until I tried to turn the corner and the pen "puked" down the side of the car.  Up until that point I was pretty well satisfied with the application.  Maybe I held it too long in one place or possibly put a bit more pressure while making the turn, either way I have to strip the car and start over.

Have you tried just taking the Molotow off with rubbing alcohol? That might work depending on what your underlying paint is. 

It might also be possible to polish the Molotow off and save your paint. 

Just throwing out some ideas.