Model Cars Magazine Forum
Jordan White

BRBO 2020 Ford LTL9000 Wrecker (Italeri)

My entry for the 2020 BRBO is a rebuild of the Italeri Ford LTL9000 Wrecker. I built this probably 15 years ago or so, and am wanting to rebuild it. I'm planning to modify the wrecker body a bit, give it a cool color scheme, and give it some wheels and tires from Scenes Unlimited to replace the clunky kit wheels and tires. Here's how it is starting out:

7E13F280-48C1-44CE-A964-6221670E9CB7.thumb.jpeg.de0deb16d7d97cdee6e6f13440eb41fe.jpeg

This is another kit you don’t see a lot of built examples of, look forward to seeing it reborn.

I think this is the wrecker body I have in my stash. Will be following for sure.

This is going to be a nice rebuild .

Coolest part of the BRBO is seeing all the various kits together  !  

I don't think I have ever seen one of these other than listed on a kit site. Should be cool to see done. 

Posted (edited)

Alright, got a bit of a start today. Got it torn down, and started with the chassis. I had issues getting the chassis apart to clean up, so I grabbed a torn down chassis from another Italeri kit (the benefit of them using the same chassis for multiple kits). I did add the rearmost brace from the wrecker kit however. Luckily I also found the instructions for both the wrecker kit and the donor kit I'm using.

49336990818_69d9536a66_c.jpgIMG_1361

Edited by Jordan White

Minor update, got the frame painted GM Maui Blue Metallic, and the engine is mostly assembled and painted Cummins tan. I'm building it to resemble the NTC 400 that was offered in the LTL9000.

49397600987_b244ae879e_c.jpg

49397390541_b29cd3182a_c.jpg

Not much in the way of pictures lately. I've got the sleeper reassembled and I'm smoothing out the seams as well as removing the rivets. I also cleaned up the fuel tank seams and am getting the suspension and axles ready for paint.

Love the color on the frame . I think my pet peeve of rig building is those darn tank seems...., never seem to get them smooth enough, makes me love aero fairings even more, lol.