Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT C/Gas 33 Willys Delivery

My last build for 2019 was this Willys.  It was a great kit to build and very straight forward - my only issue was that despite appearing to have well moulded suspension pieces and a warp free chassis, unfortunately I've ended up with one wheel pawing the air - a bit weird but I will fix it. 

I attempted to take the "George" out of this model by replacing the 427 SOHC that seems to be in every '33 Willys model we ever see with a more likely 327 Chevy. I scrounged up an injection manifold and used the stacks from the Beverley Hillbillies" Oldsmobile, mainly because they just peak through the opening in the hood.  Not sure where I sourced the block from although the black plastic suggests MPC.  I transplanted the Ford auto from the SOHC engine to make it simple to install the Chevy into the frame - I'm sure someone must have adapted a C6 to a Chevy once upon a time! Toughest job was arriving at a set of headers that would allow the hood to close - I eventually turned to hand bent solder pipes with flattened aluminium tubing collectors.

Other than opening the hood bulges and switching the steering to the right hand side,  it is pretty much box stock - oh yeah, swapped out the Halibrands for Cragars and steel rims. Hope you all like it.

Cheers

Alan

20200102_082220 (Medium).jpg

20200102_082145 (Small).jpg

20200102_082330 (Small).jpg

20200102_082156 (Medium).jpg

Edited by alan barton

Thanks guys for the kind words.  It was nice to do a straight forward model for a change. I did notice from the photos that I neglected to detail the rear wheels  so I will get onto that.  I would also like to add C/G class designation and some sort of artwork for the grille insert but just haven't found the right design yet.

And Paul, all early Australian Willys had coachbuilt bodies, probably by Holden but perhaps Richards, I'm not certain. In the 33-36 range, we had roadsters, phaetons, roadster utilities  and four door sedans also, very rare, a sports coupe.  There has been a hot rodded one on the Australian scene for decades now but I know of no others.

And that is not that unusual here in Australia.  Our market was so small that some bodies were produced in tiny numbers.  A good friend of mine has a Holden bodied 39 Willys coupe.  It is noticeably different in shape to its American counterpart.  According to Holden build statistics, it is either 1 of 1, or 1 of 2 ever made! We are not sure as we don't know which specific body style his is identiefied as.  Put it another way, in Australia in 1939, there were exactly THREE Willys coupes manufactured. Makes a 32 roadster look kinda common, eh?

Cheers

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words Alan. It has been very satisfying to hear that so many others enjoy my build as much as I do.

I dragged out two more frames on the weekend, one to start my George Montgomery coupe that I have wanted to build since I was a teenager and another for an unchopped resin coupe body.   Gotta get these Willys outa my system!  The unchopped coupe will be getting a Revell funnycar blown Hemi for power and I hope to psych myself up to tackling one of those multi-panelled an striped paint jobs that were popular at the end of the gasser era.

Cheers

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...