Model Cars Magazine Forum

A detailed look at Round 2's reissue of AMT's 1965 Chevelle Modified Stocker....much different content than most of AMT's "Modified Stockers" kits....

tim boyd

Most of AMT's "Modified Stockers" kits were little more than their original annual kits, with revised bodies featuring large wheel openings, gutted stocker interiors, the original kit engines and chassis plates, some additional exterior bumpers and bars, AMT drag slick tires, and a new decal sheet.

This kit, however, is entirely different. Can you say mostly all new frame (except for the engraved front suspension), Halibrand Quick Change differential suspended by parallel leafs and coil overs on their own crossmember, no interior bucket but instead a detail roll cage assembly that extends into the front engine compartment and under the trunk, and a few parts (such as the Moon tank) adapted from AMT's prior 1965 Chevelle funny car?

New parts include a piece of clear acetate (I think) with a tampo-printed screen overlay, and tampo printed tires.

Per Model Car Kit authority and historian Mark Budniewski comparing this kit with the AMT 1965 Chevelle funny car kit tooling: "Front bumper/grille is the same save for elimination of a mounting pin on the back. Rear bumper has backup light detail eliminated for the Modified Stocker but is otherwise the same. Moon tank and valve covers are unchanged, as is the shift lever! The recent reissue kit has an "unblocked" chrome tree. The '64 rear trim piece is there, as is the front cover for the funny car's supercharger."

It's a really fascinating kit...and (in the context of the 1970 introduction date and AMT's other Modified Stocker kits) a very well detailed offering, other than the early 1960's promo-type front suspension that is molded to the frame.  I've always had a bad attitude about AMT's Modified Stocker kits (primarily because of how they destroyed original issue tooling), but this one is different. Almost begs a build! Check it out in the 16 images at this link and form your own opinion....TIM

DSC 0073

Edited by tim boyd

Snake mentioned this in another thread and since I'm not real big into stockers, I'd like to get this if for no other reason, whack off the roof and replace Revell's incorrect '65 Chevelle Z-16 one. ;)  

Other parts in the kit I can find other uses for, or if nothing else sell the remains on the 'Bay.

I had one of these kits when first issued.  I don't recall a piece of acetate for the windshield; my kit had a molded styrene half-windshield with no screen engraving.  A couple of the other kits in the series had a half-windshield.  I wondered if something like that was actually done.

I've got a couple of junker bodies.  One might give up its cowl area to an altered wheelbase body.  One thing AMT did on eight of the nine kits in the series was to remove the windshield wiper detail from the cowl.  They did a great job on that!

I have enjoyed building these kits in the past as they're fairly simple but not always that well engineered. I recall the Chevelle body just kind of sat on the chassis with no mounting points and the rear suspension was questionable.

I see the same old decal sheet but the tampo printed tires are always a plus. The Impala is supposed to have an updated decal sheet. Wonder how much is updated.

32 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Is the tooling for that 64 Galaxie mod stocker still intact, or was it backdated to the stock version?

There are two AMT '64 Galaxies.  The promo model was issued as a Craftsman series kit, Blueprinter mail order kit, retro promo, Pro Shop kit, Millennium series kit, and Model King kit (all curbside, stock only).  The 3 in 1 annual kit was reissued once, then converted to the Modified Stocker.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

There are two AMT '64 Galaxies.  The promo model was issued as a Craftsman series kit, Blueprinter mail order kit, retro promo, Pro Shop kit, Millennium series kit, and Model King kit (all curbside, stock only).  The 3 in 1 annual kit was reissued once, then converted to the Modified Stocker.

Thanks, I hope they reissue that and the 65 Fairlane. Those are the ones that I never had.

3 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Just what is the floater tire supposed to be for, anyway?

Was mostly a dirt track term.......Before modern chassis technology was developed, adjustable shocks, spring rates ,ect. ...to transfer weight to desired points of the chassis setup, cars were fairly rigid.  "The floater" ...left front.....would be carried off the ground through most of the corners, touching down on straight-aways & slow speeds. These floaters were of different tread , narrower foot print, smaller diameter. ( mostly preference)  ....possible thoughts were...less drag/friction.  I am No authority ....just the way "floater" was explained to me back in the early '70's.  (#56 Gene Schattschneider)

This is definitely on my want list. And any others they may issue.

Sorry to some, but yep, nostalgia. I built one of the stockers at least when they first came out, can't remember which one. I was about 12 or so. Remember not having model glue (was at my grandfather's for the summer) so used rubber cement.

Russ

10 hours ago, Mark said:

The 3 in 1 annual kit was reissued once

...with the working head and taillight parts deleted - headlight lenses were molded to the grille (better than they did on the '64 Chevy reissue).

Glad to see that '64 (!) Chevelle trim piece return - my Craftsman has a broken one. That's the '64 rear bumper, too, with the year removed - it had no backup lights. Hmm...

ETA: New Modified Stocker tree and '64 Chevelle Craftsman tree:

1432189511_chevellems-vi.jpg.c98ee7e8b17559cc4251b8d9e981650c.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

...with the working head and taillight parts deleted - headlight lenses were molded to the grille (better than they did on the '64 Chevy reissue).

My Galaxie "Daytona Sportsman" kit still has the separate clear piece for the headlights, and the grille is unchanged from the annual kit.  The battery box and associated parts for the working lights are not included however.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

My Galaxie "Daytona Sportsman" kit still has the separate clear piece for the headlights, and the grille is unchanged from the annual kit.  The battery box and associated parts for the working lights are not included however.

Hmm. Not the first time I've been wrong... and I had the Daytona Sportsman too.:unsure: Must have been thinking of the Craftsman...

This is one I do not have yet, so it is a must buy.

I will probably graft an AMT GM stock car suspension to the front just because.

I always thought the tires were too big IMO and used Monogram stock car tires instead. These printed ones will look great on some pro street builds I am doing.

Edited by Sledsel

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hmm. Not the first time I've been wrong... and I had the Daytona Sportsman too.:unsure: Must have been thinking of the Craftsman...

The Craftsman is the ex-promo, the "other" one.  It is weird that they altered the headlights on the Chevy (at that time) but not the Ford.  I have a couple of the Chevies; the headlamp detail is crooked ("clocked" wrong) in that issue.  That was fixed for the next issue though.

Thanks for that, Tim. As a  keen dirt track modeller, this is one I have never had so it will be a welcome  addition to my sedan racers.  Especially interesting to see the amount of detail in the chassis - with a bit of work to the front end it should look very satisfying.  With all the wonderful decals Round 2 has done of late, it is just a pity that they didn't come up with a new, era correct set for this release.  That old Modified Stocker sheet is getting pretty long in the tooth, and just how many "Tinys" can you have driving your race cars anyway?

Thanks again,

Cheers

Alan

23 hours ago, alan barton said:

That old Modified Stocker sheet is getting pretty long in the tooth, and just how many "Tinys" can you have driving your race cars anyway?

Thanks again,

Cheers

Alan

Alan - a smile and a good point about "Tiny"!!!   TB 

• 2 weeks later...