Model Cars Magazine Forum

14th Annual 24 Hour Build less than three weeks away!

The 14th Annual 24 Hour Build is less than 3 weeks away. It runs from noon on January 25th to noon on the 26th of January. It always coincides with the 24 Hours of Daytona race. This is where you pick a model and build non-stop for 24 hours either by yourself or with a friend or two.... or more. Make it a party. Have food and drink and just have fun. Most participants build cars but you can build any model you wish. Try it... it will really test your skills! Here is the link to the group page for the build on Facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/groups/774303692944365/

Yes. You can plan out your work ahead of time and glue 4 pieces to the body ahead of time, but the model needs to be built in a straight 24 hours.

It’s for fun. Pick a fairly easy kit that you are familiar with, best to have two copies. Don’t sweat details, just build like you did as a kid!   You will learn to build more systematic and quicker. 

And the funny thing is that the quick build doesn’t look all that bad sitting next to models you spent a lot more time on!

Your correct Tom. The quality of these models are something to be proud of.  Guess this is my 14th year and out of those last 13 years, 11 are sitting in my display cases. I've only finished about 6 during the 24 hour build, but most of the others got finished the following week.  Still working on 2.  Even if you don't finish your build, this is a great way to get one started.

Tom even gives us a special table at NNL East to display our builds every year.  Please join us on that table this year.

Just now, gkulchock said:

Your correct Tom. The quality of these models are something to be proud of.  Guess this is my 14th year and out of those last 13 years, 11 are sitting in my display cases. I've only finished about 6 during the 24 hour build, but most of the others got finished the following week.  Still working on 2.  Even if you don't finish your build, this is a great way to get one started.

Tom even gives us a special table at NNL East to display our builds every year.  Please join us on that table this year.

Build every part as if it were a model in itself.

2 hours ago, gkulchock said:

And as Gary and I have related, there is no shame in not finishing!  It's a personal challenge to see how far you can go.  And it's fun knowing as you work in the middle of the night, that there are nearly 100 others doing the same!  And posting your progress on the Facebook page at 3am and instantly getting three "likes".  

Built this one last year actually in about 12 hours total. Used quick drying lacquer paints and a dehydrator for everything.  It's amazing what you can do in 24 hours if you pick a kit that's fairly simple and don't go crazy modifying it. Try it...it will really give you a challenge!

1b.jpg

image.png.b3532f14a637db2c6dbd1f06be9c659d.png

Here's mine from last year.  I did finish on time.  

I started out with the Monogram Model A Woody Wagon.  My modifications were planned ahead of time and executed in the first hour. I simply cut the roof off, and added half round for the bed sides. A tail gate from another kit made the back of the cab.  I used a prewired distributor and added the custom wheel covers from the AMT '41 Plymouth.  Bucket seats are the custom ones from the '49 Ford,  I just knew they came from my parts box, someone told me later on!  Paint is Duplicolor fast drying lacquer! 

Like Terry said, as long as you stick to your plan and don't go crazy with modifications, it is possible to build a decent model in 24 Hours!

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Does it need to be a full detail kit or would something like the Revell snap 57 Chevy be ok as long as it is fully painted inside and out ?

Ray, I am one of the original 5 members of this gig. The 57 is fine to build. I’m putting this out there for everyone who may be reading this thread, the 24 Hour Build is not a contest or competition. The rules are very flexible. They are really just guidelines. The main idea is to have fun! 

On 1/8/2020 at 11:01 PM, Nacho Z said:

Ray, I am one of the original 5 members of this gig. The 57 is fine to build. I’m putting this out there for everyone who may be reading this thread, the 24 Hour Build is not a contest or competition. The rules are very flexible. They are really just guidelines. The main idea is to have fun! 

Exactly!  There is no judging, no contest. The only one you are competing against is yourself!

On 1/6/2020 at 7:20 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Yes. You can plan out your work ahead of time and glue 4 pieces to the body ahead of time, but the model needs to be built in a straight 24 hours.

It’s for fun. Pick a fairly easy kit that you are familiar with, best to have two copies. Don’t sweat details, just build like you did as a kid!   You will learn to build more systematic and quicker. 

And the funny thing is that the quick build doesn’t look all that bad sitting next to models you spent a lot more time on!

"Don't sweat the details, just build like you did as a kid!"  Oh, so I have to use a whole tube of orange Testor's' glue in my build, enough to deform the roof to keep the glass intact? HAHA!!

I'm in again this year. This will be my fifth year. So far I'm 3 for 4 on completing during the 24hr window. It's totally doable. And it's a lot of fun and surprising how much you can get done in the 24hr if you focus and set yourself goals.

My build from last year. Tamiya's Ford GT done in Gravity Colors 2K white primer and Ford Liquid Red and then topped off with 2K automotive clear. All in, 19hrs. And I slept for a few hours during the red flag time. 

20190127_101220-vi.jpg

And my entry for this year. Tamiya GTR-R34 with Falken livery, paint by Gravity again, same process as last year. I might have a bit more of a challenge this year with all the decals, but that's the fun for me. 

300462375_700992272488988672_o-vi.jpg

Join up and give it a shot. It's not contest, just a personal challenge. With everyone that builds posting through the night, it helps with the motivation.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not partisipating this year, however a good friend of mine is (peter31a on this board). I believe that Tom has a "system" that works for him.

Are there any hints/suggestions/pointers that some of the 24h veterans can offer up for new guys trying this daunting task?

2 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

I am not partisipating this year, however a good friend of mine is (peter31a on this board). I believe that Tom has a "system" that works for him.

Are there any hints/suggestions/pointers that some of the 24h veterans can offer up for new guys trying this daunting task?

Bill, I’m not sure if you are on Facebook but if you are there are a ton of tips pinned to the group -14th Annual 24 Hour Model Build.

2 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

As John just said, there are a number of files on the Facebook page that give oodles of tips on what to do and what not to do!  We've all done the "not to dos!".

I don't have any real system but a few things I've learned over the years....

Pick a fairly simple kit that builds well.  You don't want to spend a lot of time playing with bad fit and correcting kit issues.

Pick a kit you are familiar with.  If you've built it before you know the ins and outs of the kit.

Pick a kit that is expendable, and you have multiple copies of!   Don't try to build something expensive or dear to you!  There are years I've built kits I bought for $5 and two extra copies. It's important to have an extra kit!  First, you can continue to build with a second chassis and body while the main ones have been painted and are drying!   And if you mess up a part, toss it aside and grab one from the second kit.  You can always fix that part later for another build!

Stay simple!  Just build the darn kit!  People fail because they over complicated the build!  

Use quick drying paints and glues.

Have fun!  It's just for fun. It's not a contest to see who finishes first.  There is no sense cheating.  You are competing against yourself, and seeing if you can build a credible model in the 24 hours.  If you fail?  No worries, many do!  And most of us have failed to finish some years.  At least you will have a model nearly done that you can finish later.

And ya know... in the end, the models we build don't look half bad!

Right now there are some 140 builders poised to participate.  The group would like to top 150 so we need you to join in!   It's fun!

Thank you for the replies. Nacho Z, I used to participate on Facebook, but have not for quite some time. Maybe I should reboot my Facebook activity by updating/modifying my settings. There is, no doubt, a lot of good information that can be obtained through Facebook. Tom, all of the points you mentioned are excellent and seem to be grounded in common sense. I am familiar with the Tamiya kit that my friend Peter is building, and fit should be no issue. I also know that he and I went on a shopping trip to Dailey Hobbies so that he would have the Tamiya LP paints required. Since this is his first foray into this event, I am wishing him all the best. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I will be cheering on all those individuals and teams that hit the start button on Saturday!

1 hour ago, Bill Eh? said:

Tom, all of the points you mentioned are excellent and seem to be grounded in common sense. 

Thanks Bill!  Yes, the first year I participated I chose the Miss Deal Funny Car kit.  It is an iconic old kit, but it came with it's early tooling imperfections such as excessive flash, huge mold lines and a load of ejector pin marks.  Starting at noon,  by 6pm all I had accomplished was clean up and just had piles of primed parts!  You don't realize how much time this stuff actually takes until you are in a timed event!  So that was a learning experience!