Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Yesterday I put a pair of 67 Chevelle bodies in the purple pond. This morning the one that was painted green was completely stripped.  The purple one was hardly touched.  I put the interior and chassis of the green car in the pond this morning and as of this post it is almost clean.

20200107_110731.jpg

20200108_103227.jpg

20200108_103648.jpg

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Yesterday I put a pair of 67 Chevelle bodies in the purple pond. This morning the one that was painted green was completely stripped.  The purple one was hardly touched.  I put the interior and chassis of the green car in the pond this morning and as of this post it is almost clean.

You might have to try another approach with the purple Chevelle.

Obviously the body was never primed from looking at the photo, and depending on the sort of paint used, the purple stuff may not be able to penetrate.

Which "purple stuff" did you use?

I can tell you from experience that Purple Power works no where near as well as Super Clean.

If you don't have Super Clean, try some Easy Off oven cleaner or alcohol.

The paint looks very thin.

It should not be difficult to remove.

Also, in some circumstances, Super Clean may take longer to work than one day.

Drop it in and walk away for a week.

Chances are good that it will work with a little time.

Steve

I recently tried to strip unprimed paint from a part and I let it soak in Super Clean for 5 days. It had no affect. I dripped some 91% alcohol on it and it will come off. When I need to strip that part I know I can put it in the alcohol.

Edited by DPNM

Thanks guys. I am guessing that the green car was all testors enamels with how quickly the paint came off. If you notice the black paint in the engine compartment of the purple one came off quickly as well. I am using Super Clean here. While I have used dot3 brake fluid in the past, I have yet to try the 90% alcohol. 

48 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

Thanks guys. I am guessing that the green car was all testors enamels with how quickly the paint came off. If you notice the black paint in the engine compartment of the purple one came off quickly as well. I am using Super Clean here. While I have used dot3 brake fluid in the past, I have yet to try the 90% alcohol. 

Degreasers like Super Clean have little affect on lacquer paint itself.

It works well with lacquer if the body has been primed first.

It will get under the paint and dissolve the primer making the lacquer slough off in sheets.

With no primer underneath, it loses it's effectiveness.

The guys above are correct.

Isopropyl alcohol should take it right off.

I use 91%.

Steve

Today was the first day in months that I was able to spend more than an hour at the bench. Logged in a whole 3 hours!

I managed to get the taillights, rear bumper and tailgate on my '72 short box Dodge, added some black detail to the Molotow'd grill, finished up the clear headlights and buckets for the grill. Tomorrow, with some luck, i might just finish this one off!

Also knocked together a wooden work bench for a future diorama and cast up a bunch of assorted hand tools for the bench. Managed to get those painted up, along with an open toolbox to hold them.

And, before time ran out, I fiddled with the roof and upper tailgate on my '65 Lincoln surf wagon.

Early this morning I put in a bunch of time whittling to clean up the Bichi '57 Buick body, as well as removing all the Agente de C.I.P.O.L. (Man from U.N.C.L.E.) decals. Looks a lot better now, except that now I see the roof is rather wavy - will have to do some reshaping. Cut about 3/8" off the front screw posts to fit the front bumper/grille from the AMT promo; finished stripping everything else from the promo body.

Stared a while at the '65 Nova's engine; still trying to decide whether to drill out the kit distributor or just use the M.A.D. one.

Spent a little time after dinner on my Freightliner COEs:

Admired how well my diamond plated topped, battery boxes look now attached to the frame.

Glued and clamped the 2nd exhaust stack to the modified stack supports.

Pried off and rearranged the chrome rocker covers so that the breather is now on the rear so that the air cleaner fits. (Instruction's placement not working)

Glued gas pedals to both interiors. Prepped brake pedals for gluing tomorrow. (That no one will ever see)

Applied Molotow chrome to both "Tape decks" and both upper radiator hoses.

Glanced at my painted, then white-lettered, then sanded off mud flaps because I found the decal sheets have White Freightliner decals that will look much better.

Peeled off BMF mask on one of the dashboards and re-BMF'd it. Used ultra fine Sharpies to color in instrument panels.

Ran out of motivation to tackle 2nd dash.

Back to waiting for low humidity to be able to spray 2nd frame red and respray mudflaps.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, 64Comet404 said:

I have been polishing the paint out on a Doyusha Aston Martin DB5. I'm not very happy with the finish (some paint blush), but I'm looking at it as an amnesty build, so I just want it finished and off the bench!!!

It may not necessarily apply in your case but, I have learned that some paints "blush" if the humidity is over 50% when spraying. Just FYI.

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I can tell you from experience that Purple Power works no where near as well as Super Clean.

If you don't have Super Clean, try some Easy Off oven cleaner or alcohol.

Also, in some circumstances, Super Clean may take longer to work than one day.

Drop it in and walk away for a week.

Chances are good that it will work with a little time.

Steve

I agree with what Steve says.

11 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

So.. it's hard to chop in the chop then..? lol

How big a boat are we talking about Les..?

I got the doors and trunk cut out of my 2020 Cannonball Shelby Cobra

2020cannonball.jpg.be66975b7ded5e0a030ff818be0bb5ec.jpg

Just a small ferry, 3500 tons and it can take 9 semis and 50 or 60 cars. I'm on the old boat just now but will be back on the brand new one once this one is sorted out. Both are catermarans though

Leslie - At risk of veering off topic, am I right in my understanding that cats are a bit more lively in rough water than single hulled boats?

Oh - and I've never imagined a chopped taxi before. Is it an FX4? Apologies if you have already posted this info!

Cheers,

-Don.

Edited by DonW

3 hours ago, James2 said:

I'm without the means to paint right now, so I have been getting caught up on unfinished projects. I sense a painting free for all coming on 

Yeah, "No Painting" season is pretty much here for the next couple months. I'm gonna try to sneak in one more paint job this weekend (they're calling for it being a little warmer than normal); otherwise I'm lining up several winter projects that are either polished plastic or already painted. 

32 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Washed a kit and assembled an engine on the AMT White Freightliner. I like how vague the parts and instructions are on these old semi kits.

They are vague. Like where do the tabs on the on the belhousing go in relation to the frame? And if you put the breather/rocker covers in the order the instructions say, the air cleaner doesn't fit. I have heard about shifter mount height too. (not quite there yet)

Nothing serious, just messed around with this for my own amusement.

Old kids toy from the past. 
nLUEkNc.jpg

oNHkl2Y.jpg

Wheels from the spare's.
KULZX1e.jpg

After a few mods, sitting about right.
kSOKjcM.jpg

Slambulance, that will be a paint test piece. Going to paint in the same style and colours as a South Australian ambulance
viSX1M4.jpg

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, "No Painting" season is pretty much here for the next couple months.

No such thing as "no painting season" at my place! ;)

I got all of my chassis, and most of my remaining engine parts primed last night.

This afternoon, the paint can start flying!

image.jpeg.71f09147827ff053009d995926cac667.jpeg

image.jpeg.977953522b699381702083b9c0191288.jpeg

Steve