Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

On 1/11/2020 at 8:51 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Today was busy for me! The January meeting of TSSMCC is when we stamp and label the NNL East postcards. Everyone pitches in and it gets done quick. Then Tim and I drove them to a post office that is open late so it’s done!

And that’s what I did for the hobby today! I did bring the completed Blue Beetle to the meeting too.

Got mine today!  Thanks Tom!  ?

Finished the chassis on an ICM Model T, and a couple of other minor jobs on that kit. 

While that was drying I went looking for some wood, got irritated and organized the "lumber yard."  That's a big drawer full of wooden strips, planks, sheets, dowels etc.  Never could find anything without a major, time-consuming search.  Now all the strip wood is in one clear plastic bag, sheets and planks in another, used pieces and offcuts in another, etc.  Much better, I can glance at a bag now and know instantly what's in it. And where the right wood is that I'm looking for.

Built a sorta bare ali porsche 906 in about 3 hours. Very simple kit though, maybe 30 parts and 8 were the tyres. Going to have to pick another simple kit for tomorrow now. Probably another porsche but this time maybe the tractor, of course if my new dust mask arrives I'll be painting a c1 old n new porsche in rothmans livery

I managed a little progress on the '68 442 today.

Made a few parts including wire looms, fuel line and filter, and a coil.

In the meantime, I wired the engine added a couple of decals to the oil filler tube and oil filter, and a pair if vacuum lines to the air cleaner.

In the middle of all of this, I managed to break off the dip stick! :rolleyes:

2 steps forward, one step back.

image.jpeg.403c15b4d78950ba9f2cd1a315b0e0f8.jpeg

image.jpeg.90a1a9a1bf64fc96a59c583d5f3dae1b.jpeg

image.jpeg.18a9e80c5f1c62554421f64e2f5b4e78.jpeg

image.jpeg.a104b8d8b38791029ea859c9d5118736.jpeg

Steve

Today I was honored to apply some custom made decals that were so graciously provided by our great brother in arms, Bob Spedding, (TooOld).

He did a fantastic job on these and provided an invaluable service to me by making these decals!

As far as I know, there are no '68 Olds 442 engine bay decals available anywhere in our hobby, especially for the air cleaner.

I also got a few other details finished on the engine, including the coil, fuel line, and a bit of throttle linkage.

image.jpeg.e56b486a079d9565b57349b7234879d0.jpeg

image.jpeg.bcdcd18c67d8e03c5f095c83b248111b.jpeg

image.jpeg.a4f476d7c10b9cb25e7995e5639143a1.jpeg

image.jpeg.92c0675a216a82ac1757c2f0004b7e96.jpeg

Steve

image.png.aa24560743e3084db37e39155fbf434f.png

I spent some time familiarizing myself with the assembly of my 24 Hour Build for next weekend.  I will be building the Falcon Stocker, and hopefully I will be putting the final touches on it right about now!  

I also created my own decals and printed the sheet.  It will be interesting.

Needed to scribe some panels but can’t find my scriber - was going to run into the city (we’re in South Brooklyn here) to see if any of the model stores carried one, but Amazon had them for SAME DAY delivery (?!).  Placed my order at 12pm, let’s see if it gets here today like they said!

0B17F1EB-A07F-44C9-812F-20F5A7F0434F.jpeg.23be581f63d6e2e1c5a745232f9e31f1.jpeg

I've been piddling with a box stock build (AMT/Round2 '69 Olds 442)all month, from after midnight until about 2am (so it's "today" ?) I did some chassis work and just a bit of the body's chrome trim (silver Sharpie ?). Sorry for the huge pics ?

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Got the black-wash and black detailing done on three promos I'm restoring, two '67 Impalas and a '65 Chevelle. There was a lot of fiddly work to do and it took a lot longer than I thought. While I had the black paint and the brushes out, I also black-washed two diecasts slated for upcoming Snake-Fu work, a '63 Vette and a Porsche 356. 

My original plan for the weekend was to get at least one of the Impalas finished, and hopefully both of them. Didn't happen. My kid and my grandson came over for a nice visit yesterday afternoon, and then I got all involved with the '65 Chevelle promo I just got and let it cut to the front of the line, so I didn't get any of them finished. But I've got all three nicely positioned to drag across the finish line next weekend, or maybe even this week. It's all about moving forward! (And staying off the Shelf of Doom!) B)

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Spent the afternoon cleaning up an MPC Dodge Daytona Charger body of mold lines and flash.... I'm just doing it to have something to paint ( I love to paint.....).

Too bad we're not neighbors. I love doing body prep work, but hate to paint! :lol:

Today I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the intake hoses configured correctly on my '68 442.

The will be glued to the air cleaner, but not the chassis so that the air cleaner and hoses can be lifted out as a unit for display purposes, so everything needs to fit just right.

I believe I'm getting close.

image.jpeg.4d0d74e9637c29cc1665d01d2c89be73.jpeg

image.jpeg.0ff0637cf507875cc99135175ce1b4f0.jpeg

Steve

In the last two days here's what I've gotten done:

glued the front suspension and some other frame components together and onto the frame of a Mack DM 600 and decided to go with the Roadway paint job.

For a '70 Superbee, I've chromed some cragar centerline rims, filled in pinholes on a resin interior and pitchfork hood, added the 6 pack carbs to the 440, drilled the block for plug wires and stared at and scratched my skull for how i'm going to add all the details that I want to the engine without going more insane.

Unfortunately here in the frozen land of the Poisonous Nuts (Buckeyes), the painting forecast looks pretty grim.  And its the one thing that I really need to get cracking on.

Today, during the slow moments and lunch at work I managed to get the first couple of coats of body color and some detail paint for the engine on an Alfa Romeo Guilia Sprint GTA, got the centers of the body chrome painted gold on my 57 Ford wagon and got the body cleaned and primed on my MPC Vette. Nice productive day.

Later-

IMG_20200120_163017370.jpg

IMG_20200120_163029125.jpg

IMG_20200120_163148519.jpg

IMG_20200120_163221407.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

I've been plotting my plan for my 24 Hour Build for this upcoming weekend.  

Today I realized that my Falcon Modified Stocker has no radiator!  So I scoured my stash and found that the one from the AMT '55 Chevy pickup would work.  I measured it off and noted what work I'd have to do to it once the clock starts!  

On 1/8/2020 at 3:39 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Man!  Sometimes the simplest things cause you the most havoc!   I went to put the windshield / frame and dash unit onto the car.  That's when I noticed that the windshield had a noticeable scratch on it.  Instead of just piling forward, I decided to replace it.  It's cut from Evergreen clear stock anyway.  Easy right?  

Well, I got a new windshield cut and in the frame with canopy cement. I waited for it to dry.  Then I went to put some cement on the mating parts to glue it to the body and I literally watched CA glue get grabbed by static electricity and string right across the glass!   Argh!

Remove, cut new windshield and do the canopy cement thing.  Waited for it to dry.  I pick it up and notice it's short on the top.  Remove, pick off all the canopy cement and cut another one.  

This time I get ready to cement the frame to the body and I notice that in a previous attempt I must've gotten some glue on the cowl.  Friggin Argh!  I sanded it out and taped off the entire car other than the cowl and gave it a quick respray with the Testors Lacquer blue.  That's drying now.  I cannot win today!

I know a 1:1 car builder who sincerely believes he's justified in charging the client for a day like that.

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

Today, during the slow moments and lunch at work I managed to get the first couple of coats of body color and some detail paint for the engine on an Alfa Romeo Guilia Sprint GTA, got the centers of the body chrome painted gold on my 57 Ford wagon and got the body cleaned and primed on my MPC Vette. Nice productive day.

Good for you! That's what I call GITTIN' STUFF DONE! B)