Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

6 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Done yesterday, but only got round to posting today.

Having to work on the under side of the Mustang was challenging with just sitting it on the roof whilst trying to do stuff.

But found a solution https://youtu.be/1g4lh2VdGdY.

Grab a few parts tree's. 
OM7bIXH.jpg

Worked out a rough size and came up with this.
PSHvonS.jpg

5yQ9Ejt.jpg

sVYokH3.jpg

I8ExrRt.jpg

I use a section of soft foam rubber that is 12" long and 5" wide for just this sort of work. The bottom side is slightly wider for stability and the top side has two valleys running length wise so that the model can be positioned and held in place by the texture of the foam. This works great when applying Decals or foiling body trim. I think I got it from Micro parts catalog years ago. Inexpensive and you just bang it on your pants leg to dislodge anything clinging to it. I like your engineering on this and it serves the same purpose and cost next to nothing in parts. 

Edited by espo

14 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

This looks great Steve. Your washes are almost perfect.

Thanks Mike!

This wash was nothing more than a combination of brown and black acrylic craft paint thinned by about half, or a little more.

I used the same wash for all of the parts, regardless of the paint color, and then went over the high spots with a damp Q-tip after the wash had dried a while.

Anyone can do it.......even me! :D

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

52 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Thanks for the specific info. I've not been satisfied with the various home enamel based slurries or store bought products over the years.

Me neither.

I use this Ceramcoat acrylic craft paint for a lot of different applications, including panel lines and grille washes.

It's extremely forgiving.

If you don't like the results, you just wash it off with a little warm water.

Steve 

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Got the '60 Ford pickup mostly dismantled and very gently removed the hood side emblems; got more to do because that glass is IN there and so is the bed floor. It's kind of a gluebomb but better than some I've seen or had/have.

If the glass is in there tight and it looks good,  mask it off.  I've done that before with restorations.

Okay, you tell me if this is a little overly ambitious.

I got to looking at the dash on my '68 442 project in comparison to some reference photos, and realized that there is a thin piece of trim running around the circumference of a portion of the dashboard that is not present on the kit part.

Being as the dash is already painted, it makes it much more difficult to add anything at this point, but I thought if I could bend some very thin sprue to the correct shape, spray it with some Alclad, and then figure out a way to get it glued in without marring any surfaces, I could remedy this.

Any suggestions on the best way to try to glue this in place without damaging either the finish on the dash, or the trim?

I suppose if it all goes south, I can re-shoot the dash and foil the trim.

What do you think?

image.jpeg.bac48d07adfb00a9fb10489820f16033.jpeg

image.jpeg.46e595715006378ee14e7470f414696a.jpeg

Steve

8 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

If you made that piece from wire, maybe you could get the wires tension to hold it in place.........

Possibly.

But I would want to glue it somehow regardless.

I wouldn't want to rely on tension holding it in place indefinitely.

I've been thinking about it, and my thought is to mix some 5 minute clear epoxy, spread a thin amount on the back of each trim piece, and then let it set up until just barely tacky.

That way I should be able to position the pieces without any glue slop.

I do like the idea of wire though.

It would give a more chrome-like finish and might hold it's shape a little better than the plastic.

I thought that plastic might be easier to adhere into place than wire, so I thought that I would give this a shot first.

Anyway, I'm foiling and detailing this portion of the dash before I try to install the trim pieces so that I don't take the risk of jostling anything loose afterwards.

Steve

39 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Possibly.

But I would want to glue it somehow regardless.

I wouldn't want to rely on tension holding it in place indefinitely.

I've been thinking about it, and my thought is to mix some 5 minute clear epoxy, spread a thin amount on the back of each trim piece, and then let it set up until just barely tacky.

That way I should be able to position the pieces without any glue slop.

I do like the idea of wire though.

It would give a more chrome-like finish and might hold it's shape a little better than the plastic.

I thought that plastic might be easier to adhere into place than wire, so I thought that I would give this a shot first.

Anyway, I'm foiling and detailing this portion of the dash before I try to install the trim pieces so that I don't take the risk of jostling anything loose afterwards.

Steve

I would suggest using Testors windowmaker. I wicks really well and dries clear. It also helps with the piece appearing attached instead of floating.

I had a 1950 Ford convertible I did years ago in gold. Made a Carson top from the half top , and the convertible top front half. Looked nice...but after a while looking at the same car with all the custom parts, and the large oversized fender skirts {what was I thinking ?} Well I got it tore apart. Removed those big round taillights. Smaller skirts, found the bumpers, and brackets. Repainted the roof.Just have to repair damage to the rear taillight panel. The interior has to be stripped of paint yet. It's at least in primer. That's when I feel that I've accomplished something, don't you ? 

Thanks guys.

I decided to follow TJ's initial advice and use the wire instead of plastic.

It added a little more time to the effort, but I think it turned out well and was the correct decision.

The dash is now finished except for the addition of a glove box button.

image.jpeg.b96f62910f5da5065e79d1229eba19d7.jpeg

image.jpeg.95155b3f47d32b1b9d3c4bcc022b6305.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

added some new shelving to my model area and on top of my bench with led strips under the lower shelf. This was still a bit dull so i used chrome heating tape to make a reflector and no its plenty bright to work under but with the lights out of view from my eyes. I decided to put the one set of shelves on top of my bench because I never really use the whole bench anyway. Now I can see what kits I have without having to pull other boxes out of the way. I even sorted them into countries mainly but all my vw/porsche/audi/skoda/etc family of kits are above the bench now, and I have my resin kits all together instead of scattered into any available space. Still a little tidying up to do and a board to fit along the bottom of the shelves to avoid parts going under and being lost but I'm nearly there

DSC05803.JPG