Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Spent the evening at the LMMCC meeting helping member Steve Francissen to set up and tally the Model of the Year contest, featuring the past year's Model of the Month winners. Leslie Piagari kindly helped me gather up six of the seven excellent models Tom entered in 2019; the winners will be announced at next month's meet. 

On 2/15/2020 at 11:57 PM, 426 pack said:

I re organized my model room today. 

Working on that myself.  Yesterday I organized the "Shelves Of Shame," as some of you guys call it:  the unfinished projects plus the part-built kits I've collected at flea markets etc.  Now I have an amazing amount of shelf space to fill up with new unfinished projects and junk!  

I'm also gearing up for an eBay sale, which meant pulling kits, taking photos, writing listings, weighing/measuring, packing boxes etc.

In between all that, I did get some work done on a modified ICM Model T kit. Been working on that one for about 300 years, it seems.  I keep getting tempted to set it aside and do a "quick-build" '40 Ford or barn-find Vette.  But then I'll just end up with TWO MORE kits on the Shelves Of Shame...grumble, mumble...

Edited by Mike999
goof

On 2/15/2020 at 11:57 PM, 426 pack said:

I re organized my model room today. 

Yeah, me too...?

workbench.jpg.bd73d64858bea1f0ab5bf3ab87711db3.jpg

I've got a corner of a chilly and often damp basement.  The good news is that, like my garage, my wife won't go near it, so I don't have to worry about her "organizing" or "cleaning" it.

Last evening I noticed that my finished 24 Hour Build  Falcon Modified Stocker was sitting crooked on the shelf.  I hadn't glued the chassis in place, as it was a tight press fit.  And now I noticed it was too tight a fit and had popped out of the body.  So up to the bench we went.  I measured this chassis, which I had taken from a Monogram '66 Mustang Shelby, against the kit chassis and determined it was about 1/8 or more of an inch too wide.   So I carved and sanded it down on each side edge, less than an hour's work.   And now the chassis sits fine up in the body.   It felt good to solve a problem.

As promised, here's a couple quick pics of the five survivor rescue projects I completed last week (surely a record for me).  Two '67 Impala promos, '65 Chevelle promo, Monogram '65 Corvette, and an AMT '69 El Camino. The two Impalas had been in process for a couple months, and the '65 Chevelle for a couple weeks. The Corvette and Elky were done in just a few days each, beginning to end. I did no external painting except the hood on the Elky, the others all have the original paint/finishes (bare plastic in the case of the blue Impala) they wore when I got them, just polished up a little. The Corvette came from the local toy show, the other four were rescued from eBay. 

Looks like 2020 is shaping up as a '60s Chevy kinda year, eh? B)

5Rescues01.jpg.5b354deb8b09dc2988887293c444ead1.jpg

5Rescues06.jpg.0a6c7af566fce98ce5dae9439725a496.jpg

5Rescues10.jpg.23134423b7931c68d3fe6bd4210f391c.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

As promised, here's a couple quick pics of the five survivor rescue projects I completed last week (surely a record for me).  Two '67 Impala promos, '65 Chevelle promo, Monogram '65 Corvette, and an AMT '69 El Camino. The two Impalas had been in process for a couple months, and the '65 Chevelle for a couple weeks. The Corvette and Elky were done in just a few days each, beginning to end. I did no external painting except the hood on the Elky, the others all have the original paint/finishes (bare plastic in the case of the blue Impala) they wore when I got them, just polished up a little. The Corvette came from the local toy show, the other four were rescued from eBay. 

Looks like 2020 is shaping up as a '60s Chevy kinda year, eh? B)

Bravo.  Looks like a Chevy dealer used car lot.  Well done.

Worked my Snake-Fu on a Welly '69 Ford Capri (European) diecast. This one didn't take much at all, mainly just black detailing on the wheels; otherwise it's probably the most perfect $10 diecast I've ever seen.* This was my fourth diecast Snake-Fu in four days: Revell '63 Corvette,  Welly '62 Porsche 356, and Burago Ferrari 250 GTO. 

Also grabbed a Maisto '69 Firebird (a real backbirth) from the Shelf of Doom with new determination to drag it across the finish line. This one's requiring some 2nd and 3rd-Degree  -Fu, and even had to do some body reshaping with a file. Had to grind the windows out with a Dremel, too, as I'm gonna hafta paint the evil thing. Hope to lay the paint on tomorrow. 

*Well, except of course for being the European version with rectangular headlights. I'm keeping my eyes open for some satisfactory kit US quad headlights to swap in someday. 

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I need to find one of those Welly Capris! I lived in Germany then and they were a sensation, known as a mini Mustang. The US Army officer who lived across the hall from us bought one so I got to see it up close and an occasional ride.

You won't be disappointed. It's gorgeous and almost shelfworthy right out of the box. 

If you have access to a Rite Aid, get over there ASAP and see if they have them. It looks like Rite Aid is converting to Walgreens, which I don't think carries the Wellys. Two of my local Rite Aids have converted in the last week. (The other two I've bought Wellys at are in different states--I'm hoping maybe they'll still be RA next time I get around to them, but not particularly optimistic.) 

They're available elsewhere. Diecastmodelswholesale, my preferred diecast net source, shows them only in red with a black hood at the moment. But there's over 50 of them on eBay, in red, white, blue, and some kind of yellowish or greenish color, at all kinds of prices. (None quite as good as Rite Aid's $10, though.) 

Just spent about an hour breaking down this hot mess, preparatory to working a Snake-Fu rescue on it--or trying to. Been a while since I've seen THAT much tube glue in one place. :blink: I was lucky to get it apart without breaking one or more major pieces.  And I don't yet have the windshield out, and don't think I'm gonna be able to get it out. 

My normal rescue standard is to get the thing looking like something I might have built in 1968. For this one, I might have to lower my standard to 1967. :unsure:

72ChevelleConv03.jpg.2d486699734db8c69b257da03d14e25f.jpg

72ChevelleConv07.jpg.a01c75216efbd6386e4adb63f9341553.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Just spent about an hour breaking down this hot mess, preparatory to working a Snake-Fu rescue on it--or trying to. Been a while since I've seen THAT much tube glue in one place. :blink: I was lucky to get it apart without breaking one or more major pieces.  And I don't yet have the windshield out, and don't think I'm gonna be able to get it out. 

My normal rescue standard is to get the thing looking like something I might have built in 1968. For this one, I might have to lower my standard to 1967. :unsure:

72ChevelleConv03.jpg.2d486699734db8c69b257da03d14e25f.jpg

72ChevelleConv07.jpg.a01c75216efbd6386e4adb63f9341553.jpg

Snake, was you going to polish it or complete resto?

You ever have those days where you work on stuff all day and none of it’s really worth even photographing or posting an update on?  Did a BUNCH of parts prepping today - sanding, Bondo-ing, priming...spent HOURS at the bench today and didn’t really do much interesting ?

Mocked up some of the partially-painted bits of my Paddy Wagon NNL build to amuse myself a little, anyway:

9944B8D5-FDBB-425A-8ADF-2117EBD91E58.thumb.jpeg.cfed56c600960a2e51ac39569a0b11b3.jpeg

And another rack of stuff ready for it’s first or second coat of blue:

EE0F406C-33F3-4B15-BEC2-36A4DE35F369.thumb.jpeg.9b7b730669974c4cd346352d5b048973.jpeg

33 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

You ever have those days where you work on stuff all day and none of it’s really worth even photographing or posting an update on?  

Yes. Many. That is EXACTLY why I started this thread, just so we could celebrate our little accomplishments, especially when they're not world-changing. B)