Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

You ever have those days where you work on stuff all day and none of it’s really worth even photographing or posting an update on?  Did a BUNCH of parts prepping today - sanding, Bondo-ing, priming...spent HOURS at the bench today and didn’t really do much interesting ?

Same here.

Got some primer on the body and color on some parts for the 61 Ranchero I'm building as a curbside.
Also started prepping parts for an AMT 40 Willys coupe build. Stripped the chrome and started removing parting lines and flash.

Still have quite a bit more to do on the flash removal. 

20200223_131912.jpg

20200223_131926.jpg

20200223_132306.jpg

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

^^^Oooeee. There's a lot to be said for finding early issues of some kits.

It took about half an hour to clean up the flash and parting lines on the fender assembly.
I've had Johan kits that weren't flashed over as bad as this kit.

9 minutes ago, VW93 said:

It took about half an hour to clean up the flash and parting lines on the fender assembly.
I've had Johan kits that weren't flashed over as bad as this kit.

All that's nothing compared to trying to make the front end look like it actually fits the body. I ended up gluing mine solid and performing major surgery with file and J-B Weld. 

9 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

All that's nothing compared to trying to make the front end look like it actually fits the body. I ended up gluing mine solid and performing major surgery with file and J-B Weld. 

I've been following Roadrunner's WIP on his Willys and saw your post about your solution.
I still have about an hour or more of removing flash and parting lines before I can do a mockup.

1 hour ago, VW93 said:

I've been following Roadrunner's WIP on his Willys and saw your post about your solution.
I still have about an hour or more of removing flash and parting lines before I can do a mockup.

I'm thinking seriously of making that my project for the next Bring Out Your Dead build (which would start in April, if we still have it). Started it almost 10 years ago, about time to kick it through the goalposts. 

This was just some fooling around. I got it in pieces. Lots of pieces that I was able to more or less match up because of the paint. I liked the decals so I decided to just piece it back together into something. What I didn't know. I knew it was an AMT 1925 Model T 3 in 1. First photo is the mess that it was and I kept finding more pieces as I went along. The remaining photos are the result. It was fun figuring it all out. And I still have a ton of parts left over.

image1.jpeg

image0-1.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

image2-1.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

Stripped the chrome the other day for my 40 Willys coupe gasser project

Lost count of how many hours I had in removing the flash and parting lines. Luckily I had an unfinished glue bomb 40 pickup I bought at a swap meet years ago. I used the ladder bars and front shock mounts from that kit.

Got some primer on those parts, will inspect them tomorrow to see where I may have missed a parting line or two.

20200225_181809.jpg

20200225_181817.jpg

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

This was just some fooling around. I got it in pieces. Lots of pieces that I was able to more or less match up because of the paint. I liked the decals so I decided to just piece it back together into something. What I didn't know. I knew it was an AMT 1925 Model T 3 in 1. First photo is the mess that it was and I kept finding more pieces as I went along. The remaining photos are the result. It was fun figuring it all out. And I still have a ton of parts left over.

image1.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

Ya done good, old friend! B) Reminds me of the '32 Vicky I reassembled from a box of random parts and then restored a couple years ago. 

Repainted the lower wing on a Tamiya NSX race car for the third time due to a couple of idiotic mistakes on my part. Each redo required first a gray primer over the purple plastic, then a layer of white so the Day Glo would be nice and bright. Finally got it looking good this morning and then noticed it should be black, instead. D’oh! <_<

Ben

10 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Early, early this morning wired all the spark plugs and the coil in the '65 Nova's 327. Now to put the other ends in the distributor correctly, or at least convincingly...

Long as it's not the "angry spider with parted hair" pattern. :lol: