Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

26 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Got some wiring and plumbing started on my Cyclone motor and this morning I got the stripes placed on the trunk of the 63 Tempest. Wasn't sure that I was going to do the rear stripes but, now that it's done, I'm glad I did.

Later-

IMG_20200904_064415435.jpg

One sharp looking tempest.

Shamefully, I haven't lifted a modeling finger in two or three weeks. Today I finally forced myself to Do Some Stuff. 

I scraped the crappy old decals off that '62 Nova glue bomb, and got the interior ready for a big swim in Lake Purple. Also took the chrome off the 6-cyl engine and dropped it in too, so I can paint it Chevy Orange. I also managed to get the goofy custom pyramid taillights broken out of the body, so I'll be able to use the repro taillights Chris sent me. Also got the solidly glued custom front pan off the body so I could test-it the '63 grille/bumper Mike sent. (Thanks, both of you!) Found out the hood will need a little repair at the headlight corners, but that's not a big deal. 

The next big job I've been putting off is making a set of Shelby roof windows for another AMT '66 Mustang I'm restoring for the BOYD build. (I made a set of them for another one a couple months ago.)  First big job was to foray into the Snakepit to find another set of AMT '72 Nova side windows to make them out of. Then I made the patterns, and am now in the process of carving and wrestling the clear plastic into the needed shape. 

As James Brown might say, "HAH! I feel GOOD!" :lol:

Edited by Snake45

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

After nearly 6 months of sweat and tears, I've finally finished my AMT 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix project.

I can hardly wait to move on to the next one! :)

Steve

"A picture is worth a thousand words "  .....Yeah!  But.....   I can't wait to see it in person!!   Fantastic my friend!

Turned this perfectly fine Deuce body...

EAAAA623-9574-43F9-94B4-DDBA9460A7AA.thumb.jpeg.094fac06b5b5fd87e92b253c71338a58.jpeg

Into this slightly lower version:

0AD1AF47-6DEA-4DB8-912D-FBADA4690B86.thumb.jpeg.064b940bd0067ba180d571429d3212cb.jpeg

Got a pretty nice gap to fill, as you can see, but that’s to be expected.  Just tacked together for now, but I never did a chopped Deuce before so I got the urge to start messing with this a little tonight...

10 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I GOT THAT 422836236_censoredsmallest-42.jpg.9feeae37ad8187f1e3cbe8f9f22b0c0b.jpg 422836236_censoredsmallest-42.jpg.9feeae37ad8187f1e3cbe8f9f22b0c0b.jpg 422836236_censoredsmallest-42.jpg.9feeae37ad8187f1e3cbe8f9f22b0c0b.jpg GRILLE OUT!!!  :lol: 

I'll have to rebuild the radiator wall but at least there was no damage to the grille or the opening. Thank goodness for battery operated mini-grinders and photoetch saw blades!

I FEEL ya my brother! Took me some effort to get the taillights out of that '62 Nova so I can use the ones you sent me. And my next nasty job is getting the glass out of a '68 Cougar, which will require either the Dremel grinder or a curved photoetch saw. 

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And my next nasty job is getting the glass out of a '68 Cougar, which will require either the Dremel grinder or a curved photoetch saw. 

Got that done using the backside of an old #11 blade. Got the firewall out of the body with a razor saw. The real mess was getting the dashboard out of the interior, which took me about an hour with razor saw and #11 backside. But now it's The Big Purple Swim for all of them! :lol:

Also, got the '62 Nova's interior and engine out of the Purple Pond. Nearly 100% of the black paint on the engine came off, which surprised me. Turns out the glue damage on the seats might not be as bad as I had feared, but will still need some fixing. 

Edited by Snake45

Bravo Snake!

Also have a mold for the Jo-Han Chrysler's firewall, as the heater box and vacuum booster/master cylinder are more accurate than the Revell unit - which has what looks like a Treadle-Vac canister and no master. Also made a mold for the Jo-Han taillights and "new improved" wheelcover, so I can turn out a few more sets.

ETA: Figured it out. This is a '62 Chrysler:

236126197_62chrysler3611.jpg.bddb03a1e67a70ab9744136d2f51dd2c.jpg

And this is a '61, which Revell apparently copied. Maybe they didn't have access to the underhood info - which would also explain the wrong air cleaner and valve covers:

61Chrysler300g302.jpg.2ab13ccdde59b87fa0dae3abea610e77.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I just got up, for my day, but, I got a ton  of stuff done, yesterday! Got both sets of tires painted for the Indy car (two shades of black, on each). Got the finish on both sets of wheels. Broke the rim on a front wheel, so, made a new casting, for that. Made a mold for the front wheel inner rims and covered the seat back with  tracing paper and white glue. I don't need to install a master cylinder, since its under a metal "pan". Work, tonight, then I will see what the weekends brings!

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

Made something cool a little while ago:

IMG_0320.JPG.9cc14e4fd7d6182a41e42b30018b8e04.JPG

'62 Jo-Han Plymouth tail and backup lights. A couple years ago, Tom Piagari and I made a mold for a batch of different items in clear casting rubber, and I suggested a bunch of different taillights that were never molded in clear red before. I poured the red first, hit it with the UV light to fix it, then poured the clear for the backups. Gave it another minute with the UV - and good to go, with no sticky spots. Yes, there's a little flaw in the right backup <_<.

Had some more red resin mixed, so I banged out a few more goodies:

IMG_0323.JPG.9cef9c42049bda07184481117958f63d.JPG

'59 Ford, Moebius Satellite and Belvedere, and '65 Nova tail and backup on the left, and Lincoln Futura on the right (those weren't as good; got a couple bubbles).

The trick here is to use clear rubber so the UV rays completely surround and penetrate the resin. I also tried to do a '62 Chrysler light in regular opaque resin and just couldn't get a good result.

So besides these, I can make '41 Plymouth, '52 Chevy, and Revell '40 Ford lights. Anyone have suggestions for other chrome lights that should be clear and/or red? Hey, how about '64 Chevelle backup lights with the little red reflectors? Hmmm...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

This windshield was heavily glued in. But luckily only at the bottom. I soaked it. Froze it. Did manage to crack the cowl. So I got up the nerve to get out the Dremel. I've never done anything like this before. I got it out and the frame looks great. And the heat from the Dremel welded the crack back together. Now to figure out how to repair the glue marks on the body. 

image0-2.jpeg

16 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Made something cool a little while ago:

IMG_0320.JPG.9cc14e4fd7d6182a41e42b30018b8e04.JPG

'62 Jo-Han Plymouth tail and backup lights. A couple years ago, Tom Piagari and I made a mold for a batch of different items in clear casting rubber, and I suggested a bunch of different taillights that were never molded in clear red before. I poured the red first, hit it with the UV light to fix it, then poured the clear for the backups. Gave it another minute with the UV - and good to go, with no sticky spots. Yes, there's a little flaw in the right backup <_<.

Had some more red resin mixed, so I banged out a few more goodies:

IMG_0323.JPG.9cef9c42049bda07184481117958f63d.JPG

'59 Ford, Moebius Satellite and Belvedere, and '65 Nova tail and backup on the left, and Lincoln Futura on the right (those weren't as good; got a couple bubbles).

The trick here is to use clear rubber so the UV rays completely surround and penetrate the resin. I also tried to do a '62 Chrysler light in regular opaque resin and just couldn't get a good result.

So besides these, I can make '41 Plymouth, '52 Chevy, and Revell '40 Ford lights. Anyone have suggestions for other chrome lights that should be clear and/or red? Hey, how about '64 Chevelle backup lights with the little red reflectors? Hmmm...

1961 Buick Electra and 1961 Pontiac Bonneville. :-) 1964 El Camino taillights. :-) Do you make the bezels also? 

13 hours ago, ewetwo said:

1961 Buick Electra and 1961 Pontiac Bonneville. :-)

Those are already red, though?

13 hours ago, ewetwo said:

1964 El Camino taillights. :-) Do you make the bezels also? 

Watched a set recently but it jumped out of my price range. '65s I got, in a first-issue Gear Hauler builtup; may do them if I can remove the lenses/bezels intact.

The only bezel mold I have right now is for the '61/'62 Tempest.

I'm going to try and pick up some clear rubber this week.

Apart from the few models I've got on the go, hopefully I'll be moving back to London in a weeks time, this time I'll be taking some models back with me, so I've boxed a few to take with me, didn't count them, but they keep me busy for a while. 

20200910_134528.jpg

20200910_134509.jpg

20200910_134412.jpg