Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

5 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Go Home, just fantastic work..Hope you took a break, 8 hours straight is like going to work..Did you get any breaks?

That was just an estimate of time spent over the past week Wayne.

I rarely can spend more than an hour or so at the bench without getting up to do something else for a while.

That's part of the reason why I post so many progress reports on my build threads.

I work till I need a break, and then I'll snap a couple of pics and sit down at the computer for a while.

Steve

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Today I finished up one scratch made door panel for my '68 Coronet R/T.

Probably got a good 8-10 hours of solid bench time into this one.

Hopefully the other side will go quicker.

Less experimentation. ;)

image.jpeg.ae24d8fecbfabb44aa9843f494654f27.jpeg

image.jpeg.99f71c8cd76f2bc09c06db1234e3d3a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.000ebd6613b25b497909ca5fd34b22e4.jpeg

Steve

I wish you could some resin caster to copy these. I would take 2 sets pronto

On 9/24/2020 at 1:44 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Edit 4:30 AM: Mixed, poured, into the pressure pot and we'll see what happens in 24 hours. Fingers and toes crossed.

The mold came out perfect - clear and bubble free. I went to make test shots of several items; I usually put the UV resin into the mold a drop at a time with a straight pin. Now with a nice clear mold I can see I'm getting bubbles in the resin; the more I try to lift them out with the pin, the more I get! So I chucked it into the pressure pot for ten minutes at 50 psi, and they were (nearly) all gone after that. The Badman headlights, Renault headlights, and '63 Nova wagon clear taillights all came out excellent with two minutes under the UV lamp. Now I've got some red taillights under pressure; I'll pull them out later and hit them with the UV - fingers and toes crossed again; I think I may be able to make both the '63 and '66 as one-piece clear and red tail/backup lights. Stay tuned...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

10 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I wish you could some resin caster to copy these. I would take 2 sets pronto

Thanks Bill.

I suppose that I would be willing to let someone cast them if they wanted to, but I don't really think that they're good enough to sell on the open market.

They're good enough for me, and they might be good enough for someone who's just looking for a simpler alternative rather than making their own and is not too picky, but I wouldn't want to have anyone selling them for $40.00 a pop or anything like that.

If I was a caster, I would make a couple of sets for someone that I consider a friend, such as yourself, for free. ^_^

Steve

Speaking of resin casting - just having some fun experimenting today...

AABCBC75-C020-4DE4-99A6-477FF14D62D0.thumb.jpeg.75e6d80cae5641cf5f2970299db8c128.jpeg

Just curious if Play-Doh could be used as a simple mold for a part where you want a copy but don’t want to make a ‘real’ mold.  Just poured some resin in there - I’ll check back tomorrow and see what kind of mess it has made ?

11 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Speaking of resin casting - just having some fun experimenting today...

Just curious if Play-Doh could be used as a simple mold for a part where you want a copy but don’t want to make a ‘real’ mold.  Just poured some resin in there - I’ll check back tomorrow and see what kind of mess it has made ?

As long as the playdoh doesn’t get eaten by the resin it should work. I did cast a couple headlight lens using Silly putty and bondic.

E03555F4-8555-4AC8-B131-2AE76CEB5E27.thumb.jpeg.aa3fa394c3a76b3f600b0a38a4ad93cd.jpeg

It’s alive!  Finished it today. I decided with this booth I would do real venting through a permanent vent! I got tired of opening the window and tossing flex duct out.  It’s fit tight enough that there weren’t any leaks, then I taped the joints anyway. I’m happy!

14AFDFC6-CC37-454A-81E5-ADC79009A9E9.thumb.jpeg.effb15b85569d725e4c6b4146eb49a64.jpeg

And the view outside. With the booth running.  That’s a plastic board I had set aside for this purpose. 

Now onward to finishing some models!

Quite a bit of painting and polishing over the last week.....

image.jpeg.755b226218d4e4df0c3718245f61d34b.jpeg

The three at the front from my Tamiya resurrection series of builds, the Honda on the right having moved on most with it having been Micromeshed and resin polished. The other two are a step behind and have just had colour and clear.

The other two kits in this series have had their first coats of primer and will doubtless need a bit of filler and prep before getting some colour.

The gold Cedric at the back had already been polished, but unfortunately it somehow got a scratch on the roof that wouldn't polish out so it had to get more gold, TS-13 clear and was polished again. Hopefully that one can now move forwards, I've got the interior to complete, lots of BMF on the bodywork to do and the basic suspension to put together - for some reason I wasn't in the right frame of mind to do that this weekend, but I got enough odds and ends done that it should progress nicely next time.

Also got another couple of builds planned after playing around with alternative wheels. I like to have a few things to ponder and distract myself with during the week.....

Got some clear red taillights cast successfully for the Lindberg Granada, Aurora Alfa Romeo, Jo-Han '62 Chrysler, Premier English Ford, Hubley '61 Ford, and some spares for the '60 El Camino and Hubley Renault.  Need a little more practice with the red/clear combos for the 63 and '66 Novas.

Also got the '62 Newport firewalls fixed where I removed the incorrect heater box and Treadle-Vac can - put clear tape over the holes and filled them from behind with resin. 

There's a learning process for the UV resin red taillights I'm making - seems like even with a four-minute blast of light, they end up hollow with a gooey red center on anything thicker than 1/16". I did manage to drain the centers out of the Nova lights I'm doing, and got an acceptable set of red/clear tail/backup combos for the '63 wagon and '66 hardtop.

I was at the bench probably 7 hours today - and by the time I was done I thought “what did I even accomplish today?!” 

I mean, I did STUFF - I prepped some parts, primed some parts, painted some parts, did some washes, found some decals I was looking for, did some research, glued some little parts to some other little parts...but nothing worth photographing and sharing for the most part.  

Days like that are weird - worked on a project all day long but didn’t achieve anything much of note ?‍♂️

Cut a new firewall out for my T that I’m building - that was the only thing I did today that was notable enough where I took a photo ?

ED3E83A6-EF71-4CFB-8F7F-A25B6C8A61EF.jpeg

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I was at the bench probably 7 hours today - and by the time I was done I thought “what did I even accomplish today?!” 
I mean, I did STUFF - I prepped some parts, primed some parts, painted some parts, did some washes, found some decals I was looking for, did some research, glued some little parts to some other little parts...but nothing worth photographing and sharing for the most part.  
Days like that are weird - worked on a project all day long but didn’t achieve anything much of note ?‍♂️

Might not feel like much, but it was all necessary before more significant progress could be made, so it was all important work! B)

That's kind of why I started this thread, so we could all feel like we're making progress in some way, however small. B)

Wrapped up the resto/rescue work on a nice built AMT '70 Motion Camaro I picked up at the last toy show. At first I thought it only needed about 15-30 minutes of Snake-Fu to look good, but it turned out to need a substantial chassis repair, and then the more I got into it, the more teeny-tiny little fixes I spotted that "just had to be done." Ended up with 3-4 hours of work in it over two days, BUT the finished result looks almost as good as anything I've built from the jump. 

Now to do two others I got in the same deal, both AMT '71 Dusters. One has a lot of little parts that need to be reattached, the other might need only wheel detailing--I'm sure I'll find more little stuff to do when I get into them. 

I REALLY enjoy this kind of work! B):D

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Might not feel like much, but it was all necessary before more significant progress could be made, so it was all important work! B)

That's kind of why I started this thread, so we could all feel like we're making progress in some way, however small. B)

Exactly!!  Not every step of a build is post-worthy (although I guess shooting to make every little thing WORTH showing off isn’t a bad aim) - which is why this thread is cool!

Tiny bit of progress on the T Touring I’m working on right now - shot the fourth, fifth and sixth coats of lacquer on the body - got it nice and smooth and shiny!

7D91DFBF-1F16-4915-B2F3-D6B35B09B27A.thumb.jpeg.c81e4dcb852f9a407f772e192abe541d.jpeg

Pity you can’t really tell, what with it being a white body - but I’m pretty happy with the finish so far!  I’d usually use Testors enamel gloss, but I don’t want this thing turning yellow on me a little way down the line...

And shot a bunch of other little bits and pieces for the same build, ready for further airbrushing or detailing...

BEB36A55-AC39-4145-A73B-CBD8319AF463.thumb.jpeg.a1fe3013f5a63b94fba2860436850b93.jpeg

Painted all 4 of my Mustang/Shelby batch builds today. The gold 69 rattle can came out ok, The silver 67 GT came out ok after going to my 3rd airbrush and then running out of paint for the hood. The orange 68 came out REALLY flat. Not sure if I can save it. The rattle can blue 67 Shelby acted like I was painting a sponge (Tamiya white primer). Both of my chinese gravity feed airbrushes blow bubbles in the cup now instead of spraying paint. I think the o-rings don't like lacquer thinner.

IMG_1661.JPG

Got about 80-90% of the "rescue" work done on a built '71 Duster I bought at last month's toy show. (Would be lying to call it a "glue bomb," it's far too nice for that label.) Spent about 2-3 hours and it actually went quicker and smoother than I was expecting. All that's left to do is the detailing of the grille, which is gonna be a hot mess, I predict. :unsure:

And then started on a second built Duster, also from the toy show. I THOUGHT that one was gonna be easy, requiring mainly the detailing of the factory Rallye Wheels, but turns out to need much more work. For one thing, the rear axle had become unglued from the springs, so I had to separate the springs from the chassis and will have to fix all that. I HATE painting those Rallye Wheels, but hate even more how they look if just left all-chrome. This one also needs that nightmare grille work. I'll probably end up having 2-4 hours in it, too. 

Still, that's not a bad investment of time and money (paid $20 for BOTH of them!) to get a couple nice looking models on the shelf, especially of a car I like but not enough to do a full build of, when there are so many other things I would rather build. B)

Edited by Snake45

Yesterday I finished up the resto/rescue work on two '71 Dusters. 

Today I did all the Snake-Fu work on a diecast '79 Camaro that I didn't even know existed yesterday morning. 

That's four completed projects in the last eight days. Not a bad week at all! B)

21 minutes ago, carnut said:

it took me almost all week, but last night I finally figured out how to lower the Tamiya 1966 VW Beetle suspension. The rear was not too much of a problem but the front end was a major pain. Sorry no photos.

I do them by drilling through the arms, then cutting them off and using pins to hold them on. Then once you have it sitting at the height you want it just takes a drop of glue on the top arms to hold it in place

DSC04184.JPG

DSC04183.JPG

Here is what I did on my Tamiya 66 VW. I wanted my VDub to stupid low, so on the front end I cut the front axle horizontally down the middle and then cut 1 mm from each piece and then glued it back together. Next I cut up in the mounting box so the axle is really moved up. The rear end I cut notches on the suspension arm and then pushed it up and glued it in place. Evergreen styrene was used to re-enforce the glue joints.

D9A72DAB-23AF-4402-B5BD-4ABF12A488B9.jpeg

Already posted this in the “what did you get” thread but seeing as it was most of what I accomplished today that was Model related here it is again...got my new display case hung and mounted!

DE1F1535-FA46-48B2-9321-6528A2F63024.thumb.jpeg.1afe3d029177681c613785d2268a786c.jpeg

Nice to have a spot to display some of my finished builds - already need a second though ?