Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

5C33AD9D-CAEE-42E3-9B77-47EA3EA5703A.thumb.jpeg.11b2ff3bd35c8d6edc0d71669251569d.jpeg

Completed final details in this one, which has been in my display case a long time. It had no hood badge or cherry top. A short time later it has both!  Took some pix, posted a build thread and it’s back in the showcase. 

086C7C17-F7B8-4B2B-8E62-3BE2453A98EA.thumb.jpeg.80cdcf7829d56bc4fb767575b3599834.jpeg

I have been working on the Jeepster pickup. I thought it was painted, but saw a few things I didn’t like so it was back to bodywork. And now it’s painted again! 

C3B82146-6660-4EF1-BE78-ED8244774513.thumb.jpeg.2b72512082ae78e9021beeccef8e05be.jpeg

Another  interior mockup with blue tape. I’m a bit further along with shifters and tach on the console.  While the kit is designed for all of this to be glued together and then set into the body, then that assembly mounts to the chassis, we had to make it a bit more difficult.

You may notice the bed is no longer attached, I cut it off and made it part of the body so the pickup box would be a solid unit. The rest will be a ship in the bottle assembly. I will need to glue the sides and rear wall into the body. The firewall will glue to the cowl. And the floor will glue to the chassis.  Then we cross our fingers that we’ve engineered correctly so this whole puzzle snuggles together!

9F0EDCD3-DDE5-4051-8EEA-FA67B8E6E7BD.jpeg.731e21ca9ec702c2f57d25338f8bbc3c.jpeg

And the dash.. labels printed for gauge panel and radio.

Built the Maisto diecast kit of the Ferrari F12 I bought at Hobby lobby maybe a year ago. Absolutely zero problems, I can't remember the last thing of any kind I had to assemble that went together so smoothly. Only took me a little over an hour, nowhere near two hours. Only thing I could find to Snake-Fu was to sand the tire treads. 

I think The Universe owed me an easy one, just for a change. B):lol:

Edited by Snake45

Built another Maisto diecast kit, this one the 2013 Viper coupe. Didn't go quite as smoothly as the Ferrari the other day (the side mirrors had to be trimmed/fitted a little), but still didn't take much over an hour. Only Snake-Fu needed is a touchup of the black in the side exhausts, and another coat of red on the rear side markers (they look the same color as the amber fronts). 

Just gone 8.30am here, and while I'm waiting for daughter to get ready so I can give her a lift to work I've already micromesh polished one bodyshell and assembled two interiors I was detail painting last night.

Trying to make a push on several of my current WIPs so I can get a few finished during a week off work at the end of the month.

Still working the learning curve with the UV resin taillights. The first experimental batch came out very dark and had the issue of not curing all the way through. This time I tried three drops of dye (instead of five) per about 1/2 tsp of resin, and pouring about a 1/16" layer at a time, then 15 seconds per layer with the UV light, then 30 seconds for the last layer. I think I'm finding a sweet spot here; the lenses are coming out more clear red and solid and the dye is fading less. Note the thinner lenses are a bit lighter:

337146956_taillightsbatch2.JPG.ac906f53df9d86d281b556b7f0a9a971.JPG

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Still working the learning curve with the UV resin taillights. The first experimental batch came out very dark and had the issue of not curing all the way through. This time I tried three drops of dye (instead of five) per about 1/2 tsp of resin, and pouring about a 1/16" layer at a time, then 15 seconds per layer with the UV light, then 30 seconds for the last layer. I think I'm finding a sweet spot here; the lenses are coming out more clear red and solid and the dye is fading less. Note the thinner lenses are a bit lighter:

337146956_taillightsbatch2.JPG.ac906f53df9d86d281b556b7f0a9a971.JPG

Are you going to sell them?

On 10/12/2020 at 1:04 AM, Doug 1061 said:

Got the windows put in this W925 I been working on forever now.  Every time I think I have the upper hand on it something goes south on me.   I'm almost out of parts so can't be too bad from here I hope.  

IMG_6244r.jpg

That looks beautiful! You should have a build thread over in the semi section.

1 hour ago, gotnitro? said:

Opened a recent arrival from AITM , the RM Mack conversion.  I have this ridiculous idea to build a truck mounted snowblower and this is the truck for it . I picked up the proper 14x24 tires , wheels , and suitable suspension also20201014_165232.thumb.jpg.703a1d91c7309e85c3f08ddb8432018e.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg.f6d9392c5cb9e5c6523f2c97168cb69e.jpg

Now to find the time..

Cool project! I’m looking forward to seeing it come together!

Today I made a revell charger chassis fit a johan 63 plymouth and got half way through building a turbo system to fit the 440, them I got some more done on a very 60s 37 ford, a 65 c10 crew cab dually custom and the 39 chevy custom. I'm trying to free up some space on the bench so I can start the revell vw camper but all my projects have snowballed so it may be some time before i get to it. At least it will only be slammed on some brms