Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Got most of the interior (it involved wood-graining) finished on an AMT '70 Challenger glue bomb I'm reworking, and got all the chassis and engine reassembled except for the rear axle. Yesterday I finished polishing the new paint. This is more work than one of my typical "rescues" usually requires, but not a complete rebuild (the kit's not at all rare so not worth that level of time/effort) , so I need a new term for this level of work. Maybe "rehab" would fit. :unsure: Yeah, rehab--I kinda like that! B)

Just some decals on a Cartoon Nascar build..

photo-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

I shall just check the bottom of this one tomorrow and put some decal juice on there to smooth things out. Why don't the instructions tell us to put the chrome hood pins on 'after' the decals!

I am finally getting around to building a 59 Elcamino and the ones on my stash all seem to have the same problem.  Either no hood or the blower hole has been cut out. I looked around and found this 61 Impala hood and went hmmm...

So I have been working on that the last couple days.

20201117_111327.jpg

20201116_202048.jpg

20201117_111941.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

8 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I am finally getting around to building a 59 Elcamino and the ones on my stash all seem to have the same problem.  Either no hood or the blower hole has been cut out. I looked around and found this 61 Impala hood and went hmmm...

So I have been working on that the last couple days.

20201117_111327.jpg

Very subtle but very attractive mod! I bet you'll have a lot of guys doing double-takes at that one when it's finished.

Did a little in "the Room" tonight(model room name)..Detailed the grill and dash of the 66 Nova and painted valve covers orange to match the motor..Did the hubcaps and then thought of maybe gettint the 63 Impala closer to finish..(car has no rad,firewall,battery and not much under the hood)  thought a nice easy build but NOT..Nothing fit after testing fit lots..Finally decieded there will be no firewall as per kit and not much under the hood..Hood will open but stay closed on the shelf or showing..One thing I leared lots tonight was have Patience..NOTHING became airborn and I will go back tomorrow to keep at it..Stay safe out there and healthy and WEAR YOUR MASK..

8 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Did a little in "the Room" tonight(model room name)..

My model room / den in my first house was called “The Dope Room”.  It was the second floor in a cape cod style house with two sloping walls. A previous owner’s teenager painted all the walls and ceiling black and it was evident there were black light posters etc there once. And shag carpet. The first time my wife saw this she said it looked like people did dope up there.  The name stuck.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I finished putting foil on the ‘64 Impala. I glued the fender flares on the Jeepster and re-worked the tailgate for a better fit. I also started on a Revell ‘29 Model A. It looks like the A will go together real easy! Toughest part is deciding which way to build it and what colour to paint it.

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My model room / den in my first house was called “The Dope Room”.  It was the second floor in a cape cod style house with two sloping walls. A previous owner’s teenager painted all the walls and ceiling black and it was evident there were black light posters etc there once. And shag carpet. The first time my wife saw this she said it looked like people did dope up there.  The name stuck.

Haha!  I've been trying think of what to call the room I've got set aside in the house for hobby stuff now.  'Workshop' sounds too industrial (it's actually a pretty nice comfortable space) and 'studio' sounds too artsy.  I've been calling it "my room", but then when I say I'm going up to my room it sounds like I've been bad and I've got to go write lines or something.  "Jim!  Go to your room, at once!"

18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Fighting with my '57 Chevy Gasser,  just keeps battling me......foil, photo etch, getting freakin' glue on paint. I'm about to pull what little hair I have out??

Mike don't give up, just remember this is a hobby not a job. Just slow down and take your time and it will all come to you. Hell I have been at this for over 60 years and I still make mistakes like that. Paint is my biggest problem, Heck sometimes I have to strip the paint and start over. Foiling takes time to learn with a few disappointments. I don,t use much photo etch but when I do I have to stop and think about it. Glue on paint, hell anybody that makes models has probley had that happen. 

As somebody on here once said ( Quote : every model is practice for the next one : Unquot

Just remember you are not alone,we all make mistakes on every model we make.

Jeff

I put the final coats of clear on the '59 Dodge body for the Street Machine I've been working on seemingly "forever", and I put the finishing touches on detailing the resin interior from Modelhaus for it.  I'll let the clearcoat dry for a couple of days and then I can polish it out and then apply the yards of BMF to the body.  In the meantime I can finish up the chassis work and wheels......  This is gonna be killer...!!!