Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Is there a tutorial on this forum, on how to assemble the Detail Master racing harness? Ā I couldn't find with the search box, also looked from my browser world wide, and on You Tube, no luck. Ā I had to modify from the instructions to get this.

IMG_1275.thumb.jpg.5a690feb5f1556470339ef0673acf8fd.jpg

FDCBDC80-E75F-44AE-BA9A-C4B60D1D2E40.thumb.jpeg.0e19e57cb5247c12675f12edd8360746.jpeg

EAC47830-58AF-4B87-B9DA-8C19C45CD94C.thumb.jpeg.48cf2fdf7453c29b2c8ffa5453c5b9d4.jpeg

844B42A7-4134-40F8-8004-C1609EEBD1B6.thumb.jpeg.0f46fdfdcc47857591d866f60d634377.jpeg

More work today.. at that point in the project where every little thing is a final detail, and you have to step away for drying time between each action!Ā 

Body is permanently mated to chassis. Interior is complete except for steering wheel Take 3! Ā Everything under the hood is plumbed and done. Ā Made and mounted a fun license plate.

Ancient MPC chrome came off to the touch on the bumpers so Iā€™m soaking it off in Mr. Clean right now. Not sure if theyā€™ll be chrome or white.Ā 

Should be done this week for sure.Ā 
Ā 

The jeep is looking good. Tom.Ā 

Clever idea on the wheel stand, Frank.

Kurt, the belts came out great. I did a tutorial on the Detail Master PE hardware for MCM a few years back.Ā It had drawings to help show the steps.Ā It might have been posted here in a thread. But it looks as if you figured it out very nicely.Ā 

I've been cutting styrene for interior panels.

Scott

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

[...]

Kurt, the belts came out great. I did a tutorial on the Detail Master PE hardware for MCM a few years back.Ā It had drawings to help show the steps.Ā It might have been posted here in a thread. But it looks as if you figured it out very nicely.Ā 

[...]

I searched this forum, nothing came up, if there are no tags things don't show up. Ā I don't have a stack of MCM dead tree editions. Ā I took a bunch of photos, practically each step. Ā Considering I used paper instead of ribbon, my technique might vary from yours? Ā I also made up some things to accomplish the look. Ā I'm also digging the way Venom is showing his Shelby build, want to create the same format. Ā Sometime...... you know how that goes.

Anyway, got both sets done for the Ferrari.

Ā 

IMG_1310.jpg

I made copies of some wheels that I may need for future projects. Also cast my first Turbo 350 from the El Camino kit. I modified it with a re-shaped bottom cover and pan, added pan bolts, cooler line bosses and dipstick grommet.

11F2658D-BB91-44E4-A0F1-194E45357E56.jpeg

07E6A172-8318-4A25-A4CC-A34014CD2767.jpeg

2180358D-125B-4A1C-BB11-7712A1B759C4.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Just about have my crackerbox car hauler finished up.

Great progress, that's going to look a very impressive set-up once completed.

Ā 

I found time to make more progress on some of mine last night:

image.jpeg.6d76bbea78ba845c580859335d6d1546.jpeg

Three quarters of the Impala's window trims now have BMF.

After wet sanding and Micromesh on the Fiat's front and rear glass over the weekend, I attacked it with coarse, medium and fine polishing compounds by Zero Paints. First time I've ever done that on clear parts, amazing to see it finally come clear again. I'll replace the sides with clear sheet, but that one is now a viable restoration project and I've got the colour and wheel choice already in mind for it. Would have been easier if I hadn't randomly squirted it with some yellow paint at some point in the past.....

While I had the olishing compound I thought I'd have another go at the Honda. Just about managed to do all three stages without going through the paint, and it is now improved.

After putting it off in dread for a week or more, I finally got the lower body chrome trim foil work done on that '67 GTO glue bomb I'm rescuing. Very little reason to put off finishing up the evil beast now.Ā 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

After putting it off in dread for a week or more, I finally got the lower body chrome trim foil work done on that '67 GTO glue bomb I'm rescuing. Very little reason to put off finishing up the evil beast now.Ā 

I know that feeling! Everything on my bench is sitting there at one step I dread!

My 24 Hour Build Red Chariot came apart to fix some details and I dreaded the last step of permanently mounting the new and improved Ā wood floor... itā€™s drying right now! Ā So this one should come thundering off the bench shortly.

Spent some time today spraying and stripping paint.Ā 

Sprayed a bit of color on my 63 Mercury Meteor. Taking a bit to get a smooth coat. Had to do a couple of rounds of wet sanding.

Yesterday I started the paint stripping process in the Purple Pond of the rebuilder 59 Impala, 58 Ford and 49 Ford. After 24 hrs of soaking and a couple rounds of scrubbing I got almost all of the black paint off of the 59 Impala, half of the 6!!! coats of paint off of the 58 Ford (black, gold, maroon, green, orange and purple!). The paint on the 49 Ford hasn't really budged at all. I'm letting them soak all weekend and we will try again Monday.

Later-

IMG_20210311_092244794.jpg

IMG_20210311_092240629.jpg

IMG_20210311_092255447.jpg