Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Well, over the last 3 days I took a New in Bag Tamiya Lunchbox Black Edition body and modified it to accept 3D printed tail and side marker lights, filled in the openings in the roof for a period roof vent and the antenna from the old AM/FM transmitter days with chunks taken from another Lb BE body and got it scuffed up and mold lines cleaned off and ready for finishing work!

From this

To this……….6D18FD02-EB23-4529-8379-AB629717C298.thumb.jpeg.a3285d8176ee8aa8fdfd1b1885798556.jpeg

To this……..

E106F0D0-9ACC-4CB9-9DD8-7F99E0D656C3.thumb.jpeg.74b7cc4123cd1a7be0e2eb32a9aa5ae8.jpeg

Over the last 3 days!

I’m not sure, but does anybody else think I may just need primer and can skip any body filler?

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Maybe Duplicolor filler primer ?

That’s what I was thinking as well.

Quick edit, got the roof and front clip in  the Duplicolor Filler Primer and it looks pretty close!  Somehow it also no longer looks like a Shorty B-Van and more like the long WB without the extra long rump:blink:

6E98725F-77BA-4913-BBF8-0C3EADC016C6.thumb.jpeg.0027c8eede49c75e7e0a519976b30a5c.jpeg6EC43C54-C48C-40A4-BADB-D8916DF4EFB9.thumb.jpeg.f704979227109cd319410b05175ff1b5.jpeg

Edited by Joe Handley

(like I need another work-in-process build, but they are just so tempting to start)

Got an idea for a hot rod Lincoln, so I cut/ground the exhaust headers off an original issue Monogram '41 Lincoln Continental V12. Also a good excuse here to show that you can cut plastic with paper. I cut the back part of the molded-on starter with a regular saw, but used a circle of paper in my motor tool to cut the top and underside of it. Doing it this way allows you to cut at an angle that just wouldn't work with a regular saw blade. I actually cut it the opposite way with the motor tool aimed at the oil pan, so the photo is for illustration purposes. Yep, you can buy little steel circular saws for these motor tool bits, but I'm deathly afraid of those.

1037090065_Lincolnpapercut.jpg.b9d8d074a8b87959addaf484426c4fd3.jpg

MPC Milk Trike, my first custom trike purchase and build. There are about six options on the decal sheet. So I chose the Ice Cream set. Plus I have some nail art decals of ice creams, two of which are on the back. I have a few things to do to finish, this is as at today..

photo-th.jpg

I have used Acrylic Clear Red on the chrome to give an anodised look. The steering works 'carefully'!

725A6A9F-571F-4B2A-BDE7-12160C20D7B7.jpeg.d5660ccf2e256b5b1e436449d8c7d8d3.jpeg

Straightening up between projects!  I put a new filter and bottom liner in the spray booth, so I’m ready for the next project.

C8866F76-CF11-4439-B2A8-1E9211C2B09B.jpeg.942339bfd137ad371f9d06bcfb896111.jpeg

Then I started through my unfinished project shelf.  I knew I had this All American 55 Chevy sedan.  

F7935A1A-A060-48B5-9328-9D68CEA9D0D8.jpeg.dd7b23c0ab116cedd15e29f714180d7d.jpeg

What I didn’t know was I had a complete AcuPro photoetch set in the box. I swear I never saw it before!

3A3C7EAF-DDF0-486B-9CB0-0A623A4057A6.jpeg.8fce906fb2f1110085f1f212c463b045.jpeg

I had an idea of doing a taxi…

10978681-A8FC-46DF-A1B7-9B4566966986.jpeg.bea112e2ecd77c7092a77907dbfa82db.jpeg

Then I found this! A right hand drive dashboard!  I don’t remember ever making this!  But there it is!

So now what do I do?  Did they ever use Chevys for taxi cabs in Australia or any other RHD country?  

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 7/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, Tom Geiger said:

10978681-A8FC-46DF-A1B7-9B4566966986.jpeg.bea112e2ecd77c7092a77907dbfa82db.jpeg

Then I found this! A right hand drive dashboard!  I don’t remember ever making this!  But there it is!

So now what do I do?  Did they ever use Chevys for taxi cabs in Australia or any other RHD country?  

Tom, found this info on Wikipedia

"The 1955-1957s were made in right-hand drive and shipped from Oshawa Car Assembly in Oshawa, Ontario, for local assembly in Australia (CKD), New Zealand (SKD) and South Africa. All three model years had a reversed version of the '55 LHD dashboard and did not get the LHD models' 1957 redesign."

Edited by VW93
deleted some of original text & pics
  • Thanks 1

I looked out a Fujimi Enthusiasts Porsche 911, part done, just the chassis about 10-15 years ago, found some 911 decals cut them to fit, added aero wheel discs, it has two seats with belts, so building a roll cage, might put some lamps on the front as a club type/style rally car.

photo-th.jpg

Been binge-watching the early seasons of Street Outlaws and have grown fond of the murdered-out look of at least three of the cars. I decided to go for that on my latest glue bomb rescue. Two years ago it would have been a no-brainer: I'd have just shot it with one coat of Model Master Black Chrome Trim. But I haven't been able to find any more of that for a couple years now, and am carefully hoarding my last few bottles of it for "special" projects, so had to find another way. Yesterday I shot the body with the cheap ($3/can) Touch N Tone Flat Black as an experiment. It looked horrible, but this morning I buffed it out with a dry flannel shirt and darned if it didn't give me almost exactly the look I was going for! Happy Happy Joy Joy! I've already got at least two more projects in mind that this should work great for! :D

I was sitting there in my model room minding my own business, looking at my current project when a squirrel 🐿  darted across the room!

So I pulled it down from the pile and started to fiddle. It’s a Welly diecast kit of a 36 Ford Cabriolet. Factory finish is gloss black, actually done fairly well. 

Many years ago I had this vision of the black body with deep red fenders… and now I know what that looks like! Onward!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 7/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Many years ago I had this vision of the black body with deep red fenders… and now I know what that looks like! Onward!

BA6E8516-6FB8-445E-806D-99C0D06E36E6.jpeg.6a21fcadeb5b1f5c6fa8ee926851d500.jpeg

37B2C7DA-98DA-493E-ACE3-6F012AA5A0A4.jpeg.283cfb4206a13ddcba684417fabda4dc.jpeg

1517FBB1-CAD3-4F70-9B53-364132D4066E.jpeg.8579300379d8bcac3eaca1eb931a8f04.jpeg

And this is what it looks like!

Black body is diecast and fenders were black plastic.. shiny, may have had a clear coat on lt.

I painted it Duplicolor red primer and Duplicolor Cherry Red. Same red as my Studebaker Gullwing, the can was on the bench!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Well, I have been chipping away at several projects at once- more putty and sanding on the car behind the egg crate grille, as well as continuing to build the grille itself. Working on the V-16 engine which will have 2 centrifugal superchargers with the help of Norm Veber. Started stripping the paint from my Dodge power wagon- that paint is tough- used oven cleaner at first, then switched to acetone- yes, the parts are metal, so no melting- having a fit fitting the hemi in the engine compartment- need to grind/file more from the sides. A little progress on the big speed boat- got some propellers which are made for spinner fishing lures which will work perfectly- gold plated too so no painting! In addition doing some good trades on the forum and sharing info with everyone!

On 7/12/2021 at 10:51 PM, PatW said:

I looked out a Fujimi Enthusiasts Porsche 911, part done, just the chassis about 10-15 years ago, found some 911 decals cut them to fit, added aero wheel discs, it has two seats with belts, so building a roll cage, might put some lamps on the front as a club type/style rally car.

photo-th.jpg

Destroyed in a accident. The body fell to the floor and split into numerous pieces. Purley due to the age of the kit, the body was very brittle!  

Couldnt help but have mess around with a recently acquired kit. 

D7E916f.jpg

Bought it for a lazy quick build (thats if I can restrain myself, by not getting carried away) with an idea already in mind. 

Just a rough mock to check the ride height and see if the idea works for me.

gOVAEGi.jpg

wEwJSof.jpg

lCQynwQ.jpg

Very surprised at the quality of the pre paint especially being black, few scuffs and marks, but overall pretty good.

Thought the mold lines would have been an issue, but thinking I can live them. Just needs a fine and finish compound polish, wax, some bmf and then build it up. 

Finally got to Hobby Lobby (an hour's drive away) to see if they had any Testor's products- and to my surprise they had quite a good selection (at least this store)! Stocked up on bottle clear in the large bottle (it looks thinner than my last bottle which dried up- use it for attaching gauge faces, glass, and small parts), a number of 1/4 oz bottles, spray gloss and flat, blazing black, color shift in blue, "diamond dust" (looks like silver on the cap), also a bottle of craft paint in deep blue, brush cleaner, as well as a 1mm Molotow pen. Was hoping to find 1/8th inch brass or aluminum channel but no luck. Would still like to find metallizers, dark red or maroon, and midnight blue metallic in spray cans.

I've been through the last couple of months without doing anything to my various builds. We decided to move house, so getting our place ready to market and look at new places took up a lot of time. Fingers crossed we now have somewhere to go to, and buyers lined-up for ours, so the move should happen late summer/early autumn. The new place has an indoor study/studio room, and the garage is joined to the house, so I can build and get access access the stash without having to go for a walk down to the end of the garden and sit in a cold shed.

As we haven't exhanged contracts we're not yet at the point of being able to pack, so I have a bit of time and with good weather I've been able to make some progress again.

2021 Cannonball Ruse build has been painted and polished, Toyota Hiace van has seen a little bit of attention, and I've got back into this Tamiya BMW M635CSi:

IMG_7049.JPG.bef8c27022152dd2c617f10c0f37ab81.JPG

I started it last year as a reshell of one I'd built back in the '90s. Now I look at the photo it doesn't seem like my old build (the top one) was that bad at all, but the paint was flat and I had the bodyshell etc spare so I thought it would be one less box on the shelf. I'd bought the duplicate kit for a cheap price as the original hood was warped, at some point I sold its engine to someone on another forum and the wheels have been used on another project, so it couldn't be built as a complete, second model.

The floorpan and running gear, engine and interior on my original were all absolutely fine, so I'll just pop the new bodyshell on.

Rather than the original, generic white I went for Tamiya Pearl White this time, not easy to use and I don't enjoy painting and detailing white cars anyway. I painted the wheel centres gold to give it a bit of colour.

Since the above shot I've started the BMF work, there's a surprising amount of it for an '80s car. Still got more black detailing to do too.

As I'm on leave for the next couple of weeks I'd like to try and get it finished. I can see once we start packing, going through the move and sorting ourselves out at the other end then I won't have much building time!

Like I did last year, I'm also looking to start and finish something completely during my holiday period, a quick and dirty build just for fun. Looked on the shelf and a Tamiya Eunos (MX5/Miata) Roadster looks to be the ideal candidate........

On 7/6/2021 at 10:16 PM, Russell C said:

(like I need another work-in-process build, but they are just so tempting to start)

Got an idea for a hot rod Lincoln, so I cut/ground the exhaust headers off an original issue Monogram '41 Lincoln Continental V12. Also a good excuse here to show that you can cut plastic with paper. I cut the back part of the molded-on starter with a regular saw, but used a circle of paper in my motor tool to cut the top and underside of it. Doing it this way allows you to cut at an angle that just wouldn't work with a regular saw blade. I actually cut it the opposite way with the motor tool aimed at the oil pan, so the photo is for illustration purposes. Yep, you can buy little steel circular saws for these motor tool bits, but I'm deathly afraid of those.

1037090065_Lincolnpapercut.jpg.b9d8d074a8b87959addaf484426c4fd3.jpg

Interesting.  Are these disks available on the market,  or you make your own, and if so, what type of paper have you found works the best?  Also, where did you get this idea from? 

I use the thin abrasive wheels for most things, but when they come apart...

3 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

.. Are these disks available on the market, or you make your own, and if so, what type of paper have you found works the best?  Also, where did you get this idea from?

First, the late Bob Paeth (of AMT Models?) demonstrated this technique at one of the GSL contests.

I make my own basically out of any paper that’s stiffer than just flimsy notebook paper. Fancy junkmail envelopes work just fine. I start by punching a hole in the paper about the same size as the screw for the bit or shank or whatever that’s called, then I cut the paper just roughly the size I want, mount it into the bit, turn on the motor tool and then press a pencil onto it to draw a near-perfect circle on the paper. Turn off the motor tool and then use a scissors to cut into a much better circle — doesn’t have to be perfect, though.

If the paper gets too fuzzy after many sawing actions, just use the scissors to trim it back a little.

1 hour ago, Russell C said:

First, the late Bob Paeth (of AMT Models?) demonstrated this technique at one of the GSL contests.

I make my own basically out of any paper that’s stiffer than just flimsy notebook paper. Fancy junkmail envelopes work just fine. I start by punching a hole in the paper about the same size as the screw for the bit or shank or whatever that’s called, then I cut the paper just roughly the size I want, mount it into the bit, turn on the motor tool and then press a pencil onto it to draw a near-perfect circle on the paper. Turn off the motor tool and then use a scissors to cut into a much better circle — doesn’t have to be perfect, though.

If the paper gets too fuzzy after many sawing actions, just use the scissors to trim it back a little.

Thank you for the instructions.  Funny thing, I lived 50 miles from Bob for 23 years, yet never heard much about him until I met one of his best friends. Learned a little bit about him and saw some of his work at the museum in Salt lake.

Painted the spokes on the American 200-S ("Daisy") wheels for my latest project. I have been dreading and putting this off for at least two weeks, maybe three. 

I hate, loathe, abhor, and detest detail-painting wheels. The only thing I hate worse is undetailed, chrome wheels (except Cragar S/Ss, of course). :angry: