Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Not today but got the interior for my 79 Mustang GT completed. The shifter is painted and installed, BTW. Working on the chassis now. Another good session or two in the spray booth (for the poor chrome on the wheels and to smoke the glass) and the bench and this will be on the shelf.

Later-

20211004_081757.jpg

20211004_081820.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

5 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Got some adjustments done to the stance on this project. Had to cut the frame to raise the front a bit. Found the pieces in the parts box for the motor.

20211009_232455.jpg

That is looking great!👍 What kit is that and what kit are the tires from?

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

That is looking great!👍 What kit is that and what kit are the tires from?

Thanks! Unfortunately I know nothing about the origins of these parts. They all came from various parts boxes I got from my buddy's stash after he passed. He had cut this body up pretty badly and I am just trying to repair all the damage to get it to look like something presentable.

Later-

I bought another MPC 'The Wild Ones' Parts box. So have had to do a mash up of bits because so many kit parts were missing. New nose cone, no running boards/fenders/wheels/tyres/radiator shell, but one whole 'Dude', so gave him a tattoo on his back and flip flops! Oh and a roof rack from somewhere else!

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

Edited by PatW

Well, no building so far today, but with some fresh snow overnight, it was time to pack up the workbench and move it indoors for the winter. Garage isn't heated, so for the colder months I have a temporary bench layout that I can easily set u[p and take down in our kitchen. And my mum's garage is heated and has my dad's paint booth, so I can do all my spraying there. Not optimal, but it's what I have for now.

Looking good, Wrenchr! Drive on! B)

As for me, I: 

1. Did the final, minor corrective bodywork to the junk/glue bomb El Camino, and shot its second coat of primer. 

2. Went through my junk/spare/leftover parts box and found the following parts I need to complete the Elky: Hood, grille/front bumper, headlights, rear bumper, radiator, wheels. Couldn't find a firewall, but I can make that out of sheet styrene. The windshield has a nasty glue mark on it I'm gonna try to polish out; if that doesn't work, I'll steal the spare blue glass out of a recent reissue "Gear Hauler." Next thing I need to do is start rounding up engine parts. Will be using the BBC from either the AMT '63 Corvette or '72 Nova, whichever fits the Elky chassis best; I have plenty of spares of each.

3. Got the wheels and tires off the assjacked '64 Dodge builtup I'm Snake-Fu-ing, and found replacement rear wheels and tires for the comically oversized items on there now. Looks like I should be able to get that one back on the shelf in the next couple of days. B)

Got the chassis of the '64 Dodge set up to take the new rear wheels and tires (turned out to be a bigger deal than I was expecting), got all four tires sanded, got the spokes of the rear wheels painted. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I should be able to kick the thing through the goalposts tomorrow. Would have finished it today but I had to mow the lawn (first time in over a week the grass has been dry enough to mow) and do a couple other annoying household chores. 

24 minutes ago, webestang said:

I think I found a place to build a few kits while I'm stuck in an apartment. I'll post a pic once I get set up. 

I've been building in an apartment for years....... I do all my spraying outside, and eat standing up! My table is a permanent build station......

• Like 1

Several small and annoying but absolutely necessary tasks on the glue bomb El Camino I'm rescuing. 

1. Foiled the rear quarter emblems for foil-under-paint technique. This took about an hour. 

2. Hand-painted the rear areas of the quarters Stop Light Red for the taillights. This will need a second coat tomorrow. When dry, I'll mask the taillights off and spray the finish paint right over top of them. 

3. Finished polishing the windshield, which had an annoying glue burn on the inside. Started sanding and polishing this area out a couple days ago and already had a couple hours in it, but now it's finish-polished. (If I decide it's not good enough, I have the blue-tinted windows from the latest reissue for backup.)

4. Discovered I had no firewall for the project and started making one. Borrowed the firewall from an unbuilt copy of the kit, traced it on .030 styrene, cut it out, started gluing on the top-strip. This will eventually get some minor detailing (heater blank plate, maybe a simple brake master cylinder). 

On 10/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, wrenchr said:

Got a little more done to my AMC rambler gasser project. Hemi motor and trans mounts done, headers will be the biggest issue it looks like. Not sure I like these parts pack slicks, very hollow. 

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

Very cool project! 

1 hour ago, webestang said:

Going to use a small roll top desk for a build area. Bottle paints in a drawer. Have to spray out on the patio. 

hWBD1KX.jpg

First build is a 53 Vette drag machine using a few parts from those other kits and parts drawer. 

r4wOC3q.jpg

I use a roll top desk also. Works great. People coming over ? Close it up and no mess to be seen.

• Like 2