Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Smacked the Frankenstein LS engine together.. parts from my PB since I was a kid. Two different sets of heads on a revel c5 engine block. Silverado trans and oil pan, did not fit so I have to throw the Z06 batwing tray on it. A miss mash of front end drive parts.. 3D printed valve covers and a C5R intake. 🤯 looks decent. Will try to put the decals on the intake boxes, little worried since I used pencil to paint it.. might have to re do the base paint.. what’s your thoughts? 

7DBF2A40-6B09-4CCA-90B8-23EA03CA3401.thumb.jpeg.f569b62b5f58fb84eeb075a9954c5351.jpeg

E403DC58-F929-4519-9BCD-4D161DFBCA0B.thumb.jpeg.7762d5c30137577611bec0e3b4ae9d91.jpeg

74C2AD07-A36E-4A0D-B18F-E860340AA299.thumb.jpeg.1b0e60e2cb9405d0eb0cb202535b7b33.jpeg

Made resin surface-cast molds for McCulloch/Paxton superchargers, one Mono Avanti from 1965-ish, one Revell '57 Ford that's much more recent -- and got the parts mixed up because neither instruction sheet is much good!  Also mold for Opel Kaydett SOCH banger -- which will be useful for .... what?  The Avanti has it's Stude R-2 replaced by a BBC (well, they used the SBC, right?) and is going into a '53 Starliner convertible.  

I've been trying to create a 1;25 Harry A. Miller mechanical-driven centrifugal supercharger (with the prominent radial fins; very distinctive) but nothing very realistic has resulted; anyone know of a kit-based blower with that appearance I can copy?  I'm faking a Miller DOHC V-12 (well, two different ones; one RWD, and one 4WD layout, actually) and my Hawk M-B GP car base has a very simplified engine, tho pretty, that won't do for the latter.  Both roadsters are 'phantom' styles, not actually Miller reproductions.  Thx!  Wick

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 6:16 PM, Brudda said:

Thank you Ray. I went black on the wheels. Looks better to me. Looks more mean

CC1CCE41-44A7-483F-BDD7-C14B9A13F0E3.jpeg

Sanded and rubbed and polished. My paint supplier just let me try this new very inexpensive urethane clear. Dries fast and seems to polish great. Funny thing is he put some in a pint can so I don’t know what I used. Came out nice. 

20BD3AD4-C46A-4FC3-899A-E604D670004F.jpeg

2C1EFC82-5470-416B-8F75-B6453F0A3B8B.jpeg

AE06790A-38ED-4C8B-9476-AF1B4386A5F6.jpeg

• Like 2

What urethane clear was it?  I usually use PPG JC660 or 661 clears, but bought a rattle can of U-Pol clear to try; I know several body shops that use it, so...  Bec I worked for a PPG store (Martin Auto Color, Chico) as a retirement job -- and had used their stuff since the Ditzler days -- I stick with it, usually.  Always a struggle to not apply it too thickly, looking for a wet-look surface, however!  I shoot with a DeVilbiss EGA that I've had for over 50-years, one of two Iwata air-brushes, or often just with a little purple Harbor Freight gravity gun; it works well with clears.  Of course, I cant SEE what I'm doing like I used to...

Nice Merc, btw!

On 6/26/2022 at 9:16 PM, Brudda said:

Thank you Ray. I went black on the wheels. Looks better to me. Looks more mean

CC1CCE41-44A7-483F-BDD7-C14B9A13F0E3.jpeg

Yes the black rims look much better with that color.  What rims are those before you painted them black? I finally got this kit myself think i paid around $50 for it, but didn't care cause i LOVE the body style of the merc.  Straight up chick magnet bro.  Also is that a house of colors paint from scale finishes? 

23 hours ago, W Humble said:

What urethane clear was it?  I usually use PPG JC660 or 661 clears, but bought a rattle can of U-Pol clear to try; I know several body shops that use it, so...  Bec I worked for a PPG store (Martin Auto Color, Chico) as a retirement job -- and had used their stuff since the Ditzler days -- I stick with it, usually.  Always a struggle to not apply it too thickly, looking for a wet-look surface, however!  I shoot with a DeVilbiss EGA that I've had for over 50-years, one of two Iwata air-brushes, or often just with a little purple Harbor Freight gravity gun; it works well with clears.  Of course, I cant SEE what I'm doing like I used to...

Nice Merc, btw!

I will find out. Going to see him soon. The cheaper clears do not have UV protection and are extremely thin which is great for models. And models do not need UV protection. But I do remember it was very inexpensive compared to the other clears. Cannot go wrong with PPG. Great paint! I shoot my models with a sata mini jet for the base and use a iwatta lph 400 for my clear. Seems to work out good. Here are some results, 

938111F5-4DC3-4586-A8A2-439A20AAAE3D.jpeg

BBC7EF8F-6C5D-40AB-AED5-1C77FF590FF9.jpeg

3673F525-CECD-44DD-B823-2CE4F2845A90.jpeg

122A7E02-0388-418B-A1E0-BE7F5869BAED.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dpate said:

Yes the black rims look much better with that color.  What rims are those before you painted them black? I finally got this kit myself think i paid around $50 for it, but didn't care cause i LOVE the body style of the merc.  Straight up chick magnet bro.  Also is that a house of colors paint from scale finishes? 

Hello Dpate, I experimented with some colors. Used a tamiya primer, then sprayed a tamiya black, then sprayed a BASF color changing paint and urethane clear. The last two are automotive paints. Did not know how it was going to react. But worked out well. I had these rims for years, and I cannot remember who or where they came from. I do remember that they took so long to get that I forgot about them. It was around a year later they came in the mail from Germany. I just figured I got scammed and that was it. 

1 hour ago, Bill Eh? said:

Bruce, if I may, the wheels and tires look like they may be from Scale Production. They look like the Torq Thrust II.

Thank you Bill, it has been years since I bought these. I have a tire/ wheel drawer full of tires and wheels and cannot remember. Oh wait a minute, Kevin at Strada sports. Was good on his word but it took awhile. 

• Thanks 1

Painted my '64 Bonneville (converted to GP by adding the concave backlite roof that some 3:1 kits included -- a GP with a long trunk!) some PPG basecoat that is very like Nocturne Blue, except it has a very fine metallic.  Irridescent, tho; looks almost purple in direct sunlight.  Rather than PPG 2K 660 clearcoat, I tried rattle can U-Pol clear, as I know a lot of good body shops keep it on hand; came out nice!  I have to find some lights that mimic the in-grille GP turn-signals now.

To get that shimmery-metallic look Pontiac used to feature on it's upholstery, I paint a base color, then put BMF aluminum on the facing surfaces, then paint with semi-transparent color, in this case: base '51 Merc powder blue, and Testors 'metalflake blue' on top.  Then I add accent panels or sripes with another coat atop that.  Seems to work pretty well, tho the interior is very hard to see.  Eventually post some photos, I hope...

Also shot the Olds V-8 block of my Mono 'Green Hornet' restoration in PPG mixiing-color gold.  Think I may do the new custom frame, etc. in that color also, and carry it onto the T-bucket body in a SoCal-type motif.  Using up 1:24 Mono parts: 5-spokers/slicks from my old Sizzler kit, and other bits.  All bought about 62 years ago! Wick