Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

I have chopped and customized model cars for years, but in this last week I did a straight B pillar chop on this AMT 49 Mercury and it came out great this last week. I didn’t have to recut and readjust anything, and everything fits like a glove.

3D8FE182-903D-4456-A19E-956F5A9722D7.jpeg

On 12/4/2022 at 4:02 PM, carnut said:

I have chopped and customized model cars for years, but in this last week I did a straight B pillar chop on this AMT 49 Mercury and it came out great this last week. I didn’t have to recut and readjust anything, and everything fits like a glove.

3D8FE182-903D-4456-A19E-956F5A9722D7.jpeg

That looks really great!👍

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Sorry. Yes @Smoke Wagon  Really looks great. I forget about this project, needs 3W and it’s ready to paint. 

All good, thanks. I didn’t make a post about it no, but it was pretty straightforward. I glued in the corner windows, then applied Bondo glazing putty a few times with sanding in between.

If I had to do it again I’d sand down the molded in rubber gaskets on the windows before gluing them in. 

• Thanks 1

When I had my stroke last April and spent two months in hospital, The Lovely Mrs. Snake took advantage of the opportunity to box up all my modeling stuff and put it out in the garage shed. This so depressed me that I haven't touched a model since, and was beginning to think I never would again. 

Well, she went on vacation to her home country for three weeks last week. Yesterday I got in the mood to go out in the shed and try to find my stuff. I dragged three likely looking boxes into the house. Today I started going through one of them and so far have found at least half of my essential modeling tools and paints. I have hopes of actually laying tools on something--most likely, a quick Snake-Fu job on a diecast--in the next couple days, and with a little luck I could have six or eight diecasts Snake-Fued by the time TLMS gets home. 

One thing I haven't found is my beloved Wrights Silver Cream. Oh well, that stuff's cheap and I can run out and buy some more tomorrow. 

TLMS isn't going to like this when she gets home. Good. Let HER be depressed for a while. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

When I had my stroke last April and spent two months in hospital, The Lovely Mrs. Snake took advantage of the opportunity to box up all my modeling stuff and put it out in the garage shed. 

That's not cool. That depresses me and it didn't even happen to me. 

• Thanks 1

My wife knows better than to mess with my model room and related stuff. That said I have no doubt but what you will be able to bid on whatever is left on E Bay before I'm cold and in the ground, unless they're running a special on cremations. 

• Haha 2

On 6/12/2022 at 11:46 PM, 89AKurt said:

This is a fun detail to do, but you need fine solder wire.  I started at one end with enough of this superglue (which I love), let it cure enough before pulling around the edge then glue, quickly wipe with paper towel.  The back was started at one end of the center, glued along the top, then this is where the solder is the bomb, bent around to continue down the sides.  This was a really fun detail to add.

IMG_4071.thumb.jpg.371b6a32cf6247bee5859957cb52ff48.jpg

Piping looks spectacular!

• Like 1