Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Decided to try the simplest, or at least most cost effective and least time consuming method, for addressing the obligatory bad pulley/belt situation evident in almost every kit.

After cutting the belt from the existing kit pulleys, I carefully filed a groove around each pulley with a small three sided file.

Worked better than I had expected!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Decided to try the simplest, or at least most cost effective and least time consuming method, for addressing the obligatory bad pulley/belt situation evident in almost every kit.

After cutting the belt from the existing kit pulleys, I carefully filed a groove around each pulley with a small three sided file.

Worked better than I had expected!

Steve

I’m interested to see what you do for a belt. A lot of kits have ugly looking belts!😕  I just made a set of pulleys because I temporarily lost the kit piece and used electrical tape for the belt. It would make a better serpentine belt than a v-belt though.🤔

5EC4BBE1-8F28-47F4-8ACD-11527C76401B.jpeg

8 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I’m interested to see what you do for a belt. A lot of kits have ugly looking belts!😕  I just made a set of pulleys because I temporarily lost the kit piece and used electrical tape for the belt. It would make a better serpentine belt than a v-belt though.🤔

I used Evergreen triangular stock to make the v-belts on this Cummins. It worked out, pretty well.

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I just found these photos of applying them. I filed/sanded one corner of the stock, so that it wasn't a sharp "V".

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC2_0001.jpg

DSC2_0008.jpg

Already been playing with black 30 AWG wire sanded flat on one side for the belt. Preliminary tests look promising.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Last Wednesday I purchased an Iwata/NEO airbrush starter set through KiJiJi. It wasn't until I got home that I realized the filter cover on the spray out pot was missing. I didn't think much of it, as I was sure there would be an available part number for my missing part. Well, no such luck. These spray out pots now retail for close to $40. I did want to use it, but I didn't want to buy another one just for the missing part, so my solution was to make my own.

2023-01-22A.jpg

2023-01-22B.jpg

2023-01-22C.jpg

• Like 2

I have had this Tamiya "Electric Handy Drill" kit for ages. I'm not sure why I haven't assembled it before. The fit of the pieces was mostly good. They provide a plastic bushing for cost reasons as opposed to a metal bearing. The two halves of the drill body to not come together tightly using the self tapping screws. This I believe contributes to the noticeable wobble that you see at the tip of a drill bit when rotating. This can probably be remedied by taking out the top two self tapping screws and reinstalling with appropriate sized washers as spacers. As it stands, the drill will come in handy for repetitive drilling. But not so much for accurate drilling until the fix is done. One thing Tamiya does not tell you is that you need three or more hands for some of the assembly! LOL  Installing a snap ring at one stage, had me ready to test and see if the kit contacting the wall would improve my my building experience or at least my mood.

2023-01-27 TamDrl A.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl B.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl C.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl D.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl E.jpg

• Like 3

Something I made a couple of days ago. The "Pringles Evergreen / Plastruct / K&S organizer. I finally got around to organizing my inventory so as to make it easier to find/use. The first pic shows the way it used to be. The next pics show my inventory in a somewhat better state of organization. It is easy to add more Pringles compartments as necessary. Currently I have them organized as Strip, Rod, Tube, Miscellaneous, and Brass. As Jim King (CabDriver) has stated, you can never have too much structural styrene!

2023-01-25A.jpg

2023-01-25B.jpg

2023-01-25C.jpg

• Like 1

8B0D1141-EECA-4F5A-AA38-5FD4738C48E7.thumb.jpeg.f8a11246aa5e9a8ce586e8fa1d32363f.jpeg

I participated in the 24 Hour Build this past weekend. I had family plans on Sunday so it was more like the 14 Hour Build for me!  I worked noon Saturday until 1am Sunday, slept until 8am and did some work for an hour or 2 until I had to leave. 

Still some work to do but I’m pretty pleased with what I got done

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 1:34 PM, Bill Eh? said:

As Jim King (CabDriver) has stated, you can never have too much structural styrene!

It’s true…if I ever feel like buying something but haven’t got a kit in mind I order some scratchbuilding materials.  

Your future self always thanks you for having ordered that stuff (especially if you keep it organized like you have 🤪)

So after posting in the wrong thread I'm just gonna post again here... I laid down Tamiya TS60 Pearl Green and TS13 clear on my Ebbro Citroen DS21. No cat hair or dust, which is a bonus. I switched from automotive tack cloths to an anti-static brush a few years back which really seems to help. I caught a couple of pics of the body shell in the sun, which really lets the color pop. I think my phone's camera is probably exaggerating the brightness of the color. The color is pretty close to Citroen's Silver Green paint color. Roof will be black, interior will be red-brown with dark green carpet. Since the Ebbro kit doesn't represent a high-end Pallas model, there's a fair amount of the body color in the interior as well. Going to let the paint dry for a few days before polishing with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish. WIP thread coming soon...

PXL_20230131_172523238.jpg.b2c6e6167207ca80cdb873cdf6561e47.jpgPXL_20230131_172513975.jpg.ffc68b75dbe81a1865a91da34f1b3556.jpg

• Like 2