Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

It has been a day of starts and stops for me. Starts because I made a mold of three different batteries that I sanded the tapered sides vertical. One of them I added larger terminals and I also scratch built an Optima. Stops because I made a mold of two different sizes of disc brake rotors and calipers. Now to make some casts!🙂

E923E63B-243A-41EA-A4C4-0AE7931316AF.jpeg

BB366C94-2895-4C51-9D71-459F67DD68B4.jpeg

11ACC594-E165-4DF2-A3CD-8A7D95388234.jpeg

• Like 4

A few minutes work drilling out the rotors, a bit of paint, and they look better than my aluminum washers and styrene bits. The battery is a tad rough at a real closeup, but the terminals are large enough to be drilled for a .033” cable. 

4BB9C42B-B56B-411F-80E2-D53CCDCF4179.jpeg

E5F35D1C-2E23-48C2-B680-2248254BA020.jpeg

FF8123F3-259F-48D7-98BE-98AC20378B1E.jpeg

I think they look better with every second set of holes drilled.🤔

5D12309E-B58A-4B49-A441-CC8B3A0074E3.thumb.jpeg.81bdc1cebbd2c42c8dd5c5849e3b083d.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 2

Spent 6 hours tonight with a friend of mine's three young boys helping them to build models. One building a Pete 359, one building an 06 Camaro, and one building a 67 Shelby Mustang. So much glue used but fun to be had! Nothing like taking this on single-handedly.

Later-

20230204_181516.jpg

20230204_181534.jpg

20230204_181528.jpg

20230204_181522.jpg

20230204_181525.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Spent 6 hours tonight with a friend of mine's three young boys helping them to build models. One building a Pete 359, one building an 06 Camaro, and one building a 67 Shelby Mustang. So much glue used but fun to be had! Nothing like taking this on single-handedly.

Later-

20230204_181516.jpg

20230204_181534.jpg

20230204_181528.jpg

20230204_181522.jpg

20230204_181525.jpg

Way to go!  This is really great to see and the facial expressions are priceless. Of course I had to chuckle at the prerequisite cookies and  crackers snacks!  😄  A tip of the hat to you, Sir. 👍

Joe

• Like 2

Yesterday evening I thought I would go through some storage boxes to see what I could find by way of model paint.  Was surprised at the quantity of various types of Testors spray paint in plenty of colors along with some cans of primer.  Also came across a number of small Testors paint jars in various colors and plenty of Testors thinner.  I like an enamel finish on a model so with the paint find and my dehydrator I will see how it goes.  I am also going to look for a single coffee cup/warming plate combination item to use in the shop as a dedicated spray can warmer; can put water in the cup, turn the unit on and keep the spray can warm between coats of paint. At least that’s the plan for now…😄

2C1CEAFA-31C4-49D9-8CC4-07A4CC8C7E71.jpeg

5 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Yesterday evening I thought I would go through some storage boxes to see what I could find by way of model paint.  Was surprised at the quantity of various types of Testors spray paint in plenty of colors along with some cans of primer.  Also came across a number of small Testors paint jars in various colors and plenty of Testors thinner.  I like an enamel finish on a model so with the paint find and my dehydrator I will see how it goes.  I am also going to look for a single coffee cup/warming plate combination item to use in the shop as a dedicated spray can warmer; can put water in the cup, turn the unit on and keep the spray can warm between coats of paint. At least that’s the plan for now…😄

2C1CEAFA-31C4-49D9-8CC4-07A4CC8C7E71.jpeg

Nice paint selection! Sounds like a good idea with the paint warmer. I use my cup warmwr to put a dish of water on for applying decals. It keeps the water from getting cold and the decals seperate faster.

Later-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Way to go!  This is really great to see and the facial expressions are priceless. Of course I had to chuckle at the prerequisite cookies and  crackers snacks!  😄  A tip of the hat to you, Sir. 👍

Joe

Thanks Joe. We had a blast! And the snacks are very necessary.

Later-

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, Bill Eh? said:

I have had this Tamiya "Electric Handy Drill" kit for ages. I'm not sure why I haven't assembled it before. The fit of the pieces was mostly good. They provide a plastic bushing for cost reasons as opposed to a metal bearing. The two halves of the drill body to not come together tightly using the self tapping screws. This I believe contributes to the noticeable wobble that you see at the tip of a drill bit when rotating. This can probably be remedied by taking out the top two self tapping screws and reinstalling with appropriate sized washers as spacers. As it stands, the drill will come in handy for repetitive drilling. But not so much for accurate drilling until the fix is done. One thing Tamiya does not tell you is that you need three or more hands for some of the assembly! LOL  Installing a snap ring at one stage, had me ready to test and see if the kit contacting the wall would improve my my building experience or at least my mood.

2023-01-27 TamDrl A.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl B.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl C.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl D.jpg

2023-01-27 TamDrl E.jpg

Great tool. I received one as a gift a few years ago and use it all the time. It’s actually indexed pretty good for a plastic drill. Had to fix the trigger a few days ago but for often I use it , it’s a great tool. 

• Like 1

I've been looking to replace some modern Revell of Germany boxes I have, so I got to work on some retro designs I can print on card and make some traditional shoebox size boxes for my completed builds. This one comes with extras in the box;)

Bullitt Box Art.jpg

Edited by doorsovdoon
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Did the first actual model work since my stroke last April, on that new Jada 1/24 '67 El Camino. Took it apart and sanded the tire treads, painted white behind the headlights and front parking lights, and masked off the too-thick "chrome" vent windows so I could paint the frames black. The latter was tedious work and took over an hour; I'd been dreading that task so am glad it's out of the way. Tomorrow I hope to detail the grille, and paint and detail the wheels. Final task will be touching up all the "chrome" trim with Silver Sharpie. Might finish it tomorrow but more likely over the weekend or early next week. It's good to be modeling again! 

• Like 8

Over the past few weeks, I've snatched a few minutes here and there to get the somewhat corrected 1/24 engine for my Pontiac GTO powered Ferrari 250 GTO ready for paint. Lengthened the block and oil pan to correct the proportions, added material to get the block casting details closer to a real one, replaced the blobular timing cover with one modified from the old Revell parts pack Poncho mill, removed the mechanical fuel pump (after sourcing a period-correct electric unit to mount at the tank), lengthened and modified the heads to represent factory freeze-plugs on the ends, removed the cast-in spark plugs and "spot-faced" the wells they live in (after drilling the heads for plug wires), reworked a parts box 3X2 intake manifold to fit the heads correctly, added the manifold-to-timing cover coolant bleed casting, fabbed up a reasonable looking valley cover, located and drilled the modded block for the new Rep&Min distributor, and determined that I'll need to fab headers, as nothing I have is remotely close EXCEPT for the "cast iron" OEM headers from the AMT "Polyglass Gasser". The cast iron headers would be on the heavy side for this particular swap, so I'll only be using their flanges as patterns for new ones, with corrected port spacing to better match the heads I have.

I also got the pretty-good-close-enough 3X2 carbs from a GTO snapper kit to play nice with the intake manifold. All this was necessary so I can fit the engine in the chassis, hopefully getting the air cleaners to just fit under the Ferrari hood blister, while maintaining some sort of reasonable ground clearance at the deep end of the sump, and make some passable engine mounts...so I can rework the firewall / footwells as necessary, and get on with the rest of it.

This started out as a -cough-simple quickie build for a break from more "serious" projects.  ;)

Pix will be on the build thread after I load what's in the camera with them (real-car work) into the main computer. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Did the first actual model work since my stroke last April, on that new Jada 1/24 '67 El Camino. Took it apart and sanded the tire treads, painted white behind the headlights and front parking lights, and masked off the too-thick "chrome" vent windows so I could paint the frames black. The latter was tedious work and took over an hour; I'd been dreading that task so am glad it's out of the way. Tomorrow I hope to detail the grille, and paint and detail the wheels. Final task will be touching up all the "chrome" trim with Silver Sharpie. Might finish it tomorrow but more likely over the weekend or early next week. It's good to be modeling again! 

Here's the work I did yesterday. Those too-thick vent window frames were the first thing I noticed about this model when I first saw pics of it online. It was a PITA "thinning" them but now that it's done, I think it was WELL worth the effort. Notice also the behind-headlights area I painted white; this came painted in a dull silver which I didn't think looked very good. Today I got the wheels painted, and the grille about 95% done. 

Before and after pics to show the vent window improvement: 

67ElCamino03.JPG.de5edbbd3570ae364099679da5257f7c.JPG

67ElCamino31.JPG.e77adb4a1581b84d5e68234b729c57e4.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...