Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

The front end of my Lego Large Scale Land Rover Discovery, engine (pistons up and down), Steering, Suspension and Winch with winding gear!

photo-th.jpg

The seats are under construction now....

photo-th.jpg

With Lego it's finding the parts from 25 bags!

Edited by PatW

Gently sawed the Torqueflite off the MPC '65 Dodge engine and did the same with the '62 Newport's 3-speed; got the automatic to mate with the Revell engine - crooked at first;  sanded the trans a little and the block a lot to straighten them. Added 3 mm to the tailshaft and looks like it will drop right into the chassis.

Also carved up the interior from the parts car, grinding away the door panels to get at the front seat so I can separate it and fill the gaps in the sides. Doing this will save some detailing headaches later, I hope...

2 hours ago, oldscool said:

Paint do overs are becoming the norm lately.

I've had periods like that--everything goes wrong for four or five straight paint jobs, and then the next few go just fine.All part of the natural cussedness of the Universe. :wacko:

39 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That looks great! Drive on! B)

Thank you Snake.

11 hours ago, oldscool said:

Cleaned up an MPC Dodge pickup that I stripped yesterday. I used Testors One Shot Bronze and it looked like a steaming pile. Paint do overs are becoming the norm lately.

What year Dodge pickup is it? In the last month I've picked up a 76 and waiting on a 72. Got any photos of yours?

Later- 

20 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Got a bit of work done on the Alfa today. Got the front and rear glass in, the headlights and grille in and a few decals on. The chassis/interior is up on wheels. Getting close!

Later-

IMG_20200810_103258565.jpg

IMG_20200810_103317413.jpg

Absolutely beautiful colour!

Ferrari basically finished, just needs a bit tidying before I take some daylight photos, and the Datsun Z is ready for completion tomorrow:

IMG_2997.JPG.81b75d175fa3be14444acb2e028326e1.JPG

Toyota at the back has been on a bit of a 'journey', after polishing through the front end I resprayed that area but the match wasn't great. I redid all of the green and have since given it a healthy amount of of Tamiya TS-13 clearcoat to avoid any future issue.

The Ferrari was a WIP for 12 years. Some of the other ones I've recently finished were the Datsun Fairlady at 13 years, Maserati V8 over 25 years and the Corvette nearly 30 years, so in the last two weeks or so I've wrapped-up nearly 80 years' worth of WIP.

I now have some clear space on the bench, so I can think about what's next:

IMG_3000.JPG.101ef0408a9d7ca36b5353bb5ae1cbaf.JPG

Off the shelf and onto the bench. I haven't done anything from AMT for a while, and I've got an idea in mind for this one fitted with the Thunderbird's V6......

On 1/6/2020 at 11:38 AM, Snake45 said:

I thought it might be fun to have a What Did You Accomplish Today thread.....

So what did you accomplish on a model car today that makes you happy you moved the project forward?

I haven’t accomplished squat at the bench in a few days. Just wanted to take a moment to voice how much I enjoy reading this topic. It has become a daily must-read. Catching up on everyone’s progress is interesting and serves as a great motivational tool to get my butt to the bench, even if just for a few minutes of “me time.”

Kudos to Snake45 for launching this thread. ?

11 minutes ago, BeakDoc said:

I haven’t accomplished squat at the bench in a few days. Just wanted to take a moment to voice how much I enjoy reading this topic. It has become a daily must-read. Catching up on everyone’s progress is interesting and serves as a great motivational tool to get my butt to the bench, even if just for a few minutes of “me time.”

Kudos to Snake45 for launching this thread. ?

Agreed! It has motivated me to get a bit done each day! I haven’t been to my bench since I started a new job on August 3rd.  I am dragging as I concentrate on getting up early and going to office after all those months of a retirement preview!  I am tired so far!  

Sawed the front half of the oil pan off a Revell glue bomb '69 Camaro engine today (filled in the block's open side a couple of days ago with a scrap section of a Datsun truck engine). I'll have to create a W.I.P. thread on this engine project when I get a bit more done …

372018474_sanso-pan.jpg.3bd70257175675ee9352c92371149873.jpg

Got in a good, peaceful, quiet 4-5 hours in at the bench today. I recently started an AMT ‘71 Duster project. I managed to make a lot of progress on the body-prep front (scribing, sanding, etc). I even got the .040 half round in place and dressed up for vinyl roof trim. This is my first attempt at adding a vinyl roof and I’m pretty doggone happy with how the trim turned out. This build will also mark my first attempt at spraying Scalefinishes enamel through my airbrush. I had hoped to do some test runs of it on a spare body that I have primed with Tamiya primer. Alas, high humidity and pop-up T-storms put the kibosh on those plans. 

Got the Datsun 280Z across the line today, so since late July I've finished all of this lot:

50233998571_ac38a2b947_b.jpg

July/August kit completions by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50234210207_fa4d813dd3_b.jpg

Ferrari, Maserati and Corvette kits by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50234229262_38f2cb86ac_b.jpg

1:24 Datsuns 280Z and Fairlady Roadster kits by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Nearly 80 years' worth of WIP now in the cabinet at last.

Bravo, Nigel! drinking25.gif.5bcda953a9258b90969da9c1ea9a706e.gif

As for me, I sawed off the other '62 Newport's intake manifold, trimmed the flash and refitted it properly to the block - then sawed the block and trans lengthwise through its original seam to realign the halves before I glue it together and cut off the 3-speed trans...

sleep.gif.30de2b6a206520e5114038f6113ac3fc.gif sleep.gif.30de2b6a206520e5114038f6113ac3fc.gif sleep.gif.30de2b6a206520e5114038f6113ac3fc.gif

well, I see I've put everybody sound asleep now, so off to bed for me too.