Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

On 3/22/2021 at 8:22 PM, TransAmMike said:

Well Geoff my friend, I hope you don't crack it toooo much😉😉😆

I'm going to have to crack something, I've got 9 models on the go, all for magazine reviews, so plenty of writing to get done as well, plus I've just agreed to another 3 builds for Farm Modeller magazine, in between all those builds, I'm fully booked with my photography business from the beginning of July to the end of September, 2021 is certainly a busy one for me. 

3 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I'm going to have to crack something, I've got 9 models on the go, all for magazine reviews, so plenty of writing to get done as well, plus I've just agreed to another 3 builds for Farm Modeller magazine, in between all those builds, I'm fully booked with my photography business from the beginning of July to the end of September, 2021 is certainly a busy one for me. 

Wow Geoff, where do you find the time??    I'm impressed my friend.

The molds I made the other night worked out fine - got good castings out of all of them; poured another set a while ago to get four each on the wheelcovers and a spare '69 Wildcat radiator wall just in case. Got Snake's piece soaking to get the canopy glue residue off so I can return it (thanks!).

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Geoff, where do you find the time??    I'm impressed my friend.

Comes with being a Workaholic, until I went Semi retired 3 years ago, (which was forced on me after having a mild heart attack) I  was surviving on around 4 hours sleep a night, these days if I'm not actually working  I'm planning something. 

Edited by GeeBee

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Got the clear on the '63 Split Window.    Paint is DecoArt Metallic, clear is Rusto Acrylic Laquer.  No buffing or polish for a few days.  It's actually a lot shinier than the picture looks.

20210324_193225.jpg.fe0b5c67d344ecd900fa11079a1fb372.jpg

20210324_193246.jpg.5137cf76eefcf7841c9c521f6211181c.jpg

Nice looking paintjob Mike! Great color.

Later-

Started this well before landing in the hospital 5 weeks back and had been waiting on special order beadlock wheels that were assembled to my spec and now other than needing softer springs for better “flex” my Tamiya MF-01x Suzuki Jimny with portal hubs from a GF-01Tr Monster Beetle and now 3.85” tall licensed BFG Krawler tires on the aforementioned wheels. Can’t wait to get the PICC Line out my arm in 2 weeks then take this ridiculous looking little rig out for some drawing!

Here’s the unpainted truck on kit tires that are on the NASCAR style wheels HPI used to sell back in 2015 or 2016.

20150927_172603_zpsjuwbootv.jpg

This is how it looked when I started to do the portal hubs on it, tires here are 3.30” tall and on 1.55” beadlocks that looked like plain steel wheels.

001(171).HEIC

Here it is now, as of tonight, had to go back to the 1.9” rims since the 1.55” wheels wouldn’t clear and you can adjust the offset on these wheels, which are assembled to keep the tires as close to the body as possible. Now if I flipped the hex adapter that allows the wheel to bolt to the vehicle around to what is currently the front side, the tires would probably be completely out side of the body!

001(33).jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

I actually installed these lights in my display case on Saturday, but just got a chance to take comparative photos. Same aperture and shutter speed. Only difference in lighting between photos are the LEDs in the display case. Before and after. I had no idea what I was missing!...Dan 😄

DSC_0006cr.jpg.a4c8c635b95a563241e34f6cbfe5b940.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg.0ed00d96a9f82b1215449a4f24f0efc2.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

Stepping away from the Newports for a bit, I dug into the '70 Buick Wildcat. Took a resin copy of the '69 radiator wall, sanded the front side level, then took just the radiator from a second copy, thinned it WAY way down, and inserted it in the front to give it texture on both sides. Ground off the front screw and interior posts and did some test fitting. AMT, bless 'em, didn't delete the firewall and front wall locators when they changed the kit from '69 full detail to '70 curbside, so both the front wall and firewall slipped right into place, with minor adjustments to fit the chassis (ground about 1/16" off the bottom of the firewall, then thinned the fronts of the wheel wells so they'd clear the front wall). Next up: cutting out that great big hood!

Will also have to rework the axle holes to get the wheels sitting right in the wheelwells; moving the fronts back 1/16" and the rears forward the same amount should do it.

Started the foilwork on my Shelf of Doom BOYD build '66 Skylark. Got the foil that I laid on the hood vents around 2014 trimmed away, finally after all these years. Took nearly an hour--that foil adhesive must metastacize after all that time.  Then I got the foil laid down on the right side, and about half of that trimmed off. Hope to finish the foiling tomorrow, and then drag the poor old thing across the finish line. 

Here's what I started with today. 

66SkylarkB104.jpg.82b8b86d484d5c600700100061bdb435.jpg

Got some work done on my restoration of an old USA-1 '74 Vega pro stock to a 1974 Grumpy's Toy Vega. Installed the SB Chevy engine (yes, I painted it black) with a Lenco trans and made and installed a  Lenco style shifter. 

Edited by magicmustang

With my Impala finished I could jump back onto some other projects:

image.jpeg.f323313f73e757224108f1879df2e825.jpeg

Scribed panel lines and started opening-up scoops etc on the Fiat, commenced BMF work on the Celica and made a start on the Honda bumper painting - it's a little car, but there's a lot of detailing and window trims to deal with.

Yesterday I started the subassembly work on the monogram 86 Monte Carlo aero back and the 70 baldwin motion camaro. Also getting the last details (mirrors, badges, wipers) on the 65 Chevy stepside. First time using hypo cement for that work, I'm happy with the results. All that's left on the truck is decals and paint/install the bumpers. The chrome looked bad out of the box, so I strpiped them and they'll get painted body color.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, TransAmMike said:

Got the clear on the '63 Split Window.    Paint is DecoArt Metallic, clear is Rusto Acrylic Laquer.  No buffing or polish for a few days.  It's actually a lot shinier than the picture looks.

20210324_193225.jpg.fe0b5c67d344ecd900fa11079a1fb372.jpg

20210324_193246.jpg.5137cf76eefcf7841c9c521f6211181c.jpg

Looks great Mike

51 minutes ago, ksnow said:

First time using hypo cement for that work, I'm happy with the results.

I’ve never heard of that...so I looked it up and it sounds like great stuff! I am going to pick some up at Michaels later today.