Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

38 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys.

I decided to follow TJ's initial advice and use the wire instead of plastic.

It added a little more time to the effort, but I think it turned out well and was the correct decision.

The dash is now finished except for the addition of a glove box button.

image.jpeg.b96f62910f5da5065e79d1229eba19d7.jpeg

image.jpeg.95155b3f47d32b1b9d3c4bcc022b6305.jpeg

Steve

That looks real good!  :D

image.png.8dfb537e2871bdaefd1cfdf3c064cd0b.png

I built a whole model this weekend!  I participated in the 24 Hour Build and kinda / sorta finished in 20 Hours.  It's done but there are extra details I want to add and things I want to clean up a bit.  It's not perfect, but hey, it was built in 20 straight hours!  

image.png.243fed0250d46e59390aa30407a98763.png

I over complicated the project by working in the RM '66 Shelby chassis and interior bucket. Things got hairy fitting the engine and headers in there!  I used a lot of pins to hold it all in place!  I made the Little Debbie decals.  That's a bit of an inside joke since last year I had a box of Little Debbie snacks in my refreshment stash and people noticed it.   So this year' they are our sponsor!

image.png.588bff97a3b12a1489a0289e120f04ee.png

The Valiant stocker now has a friend.  Once I finish my details and am satisfied with the car, I'll do an Under Glass thread with decent photos.

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

That looks great!  This kit is on my to-build list...are you replicating a particular 1:1?

Thanks Jim. I have decals to do this car, but it won't be an exact replica.  This is the concept car, I have since found out that the actual MX5 Global Cup cars used a different rollcage.  I have already built the kit as a road car, it is a superb Tamiya offering.IMG_20181213_151227783.jpg.2c14fb5d2dbb4a92772ca8150a844c6b.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Got a home-made pickup bed for a 1912 Model T done, out of real wood and some Evergreen "angle iron."  Which is pretty much the way real ones were knocked together before Ford made factory pickup trucks.  The tricky part, as always, was getting it to fit precisely the way I needed it to. Lots of measuring, staring, cursing, careful sanding and general fiddling.

Now for the gun mount.  I'll say no more about that, yet...

Tip:  the old "Weather-It" product for weathering wood isn't made any more. You can make your own by diluting India ink in 91% alcohol. The more ink, the darker the stain. You can vary it from nearly black to grayish.  Just make sure the India ink is not water-based acrylic. That kind won't work with the alcohol.

19 hours ago, maltsr said:

Thanks Jim. I have decals to do this car, but it won't be an exact replica.  This is the concept car, I have since found out that the actual MX5 Global Cup cars used a different rollcage.  I have already built the kit as a road car, it is a superb Tamiya offering.

Very cool!!  I’ll be watching!  Love a Miata!

On 2/1/2020 at 2:49 PM, thatz4u said:

Steve,  I usually wait until the tires are mounted before adding the wheel weights, works better that way......LOL 

Yeah, in real life it's easier to balance them when the tires are on, but I'm guessing that this car will never go any faster than a couple of miles per hour! :D

Steve

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah, in real life it's easier to balance them when the tires are on, but I'm guessing that this car will never go any faster than a couple of miles per hour! :D

My model cars go 75mph on the Pennsylvania Turnpike!   Fortunately they are in boxes in the back of my car!   ?

Had couple productive days. Yesterday I finished off the '67 Impala promo that's been on my workbench for the better part of two months. Today I finished up about 6 hours of Snake-Fu (spread over 3 days) of a Monogram '65 Covette glue bomb I just got last Sunday. 

Yesterday I also polished out (or tried to) the paint on a glue bomb '69 El Camino I'm trying to rescue. If this isn't my next completion, it'll be in the next three or four. 

I finished the BMF work on the resin body of a 1953 Mercury from R & R that I got on EBAY last year.  It's actually not a bad casting (surprisingly).  The interior was trash so I'm using the interior, chassis & wheels from a '53 Ford kit.  Should have it finished soon to go Under Glass. 

Early this morning I removed the ski rack from the '63 Riviera and sanded the roof smooth, then did the same with almost all the glue splotches on the body (one on the rear has affected the trunk lock and "BUICK" lettering, so I have to be mucho careful on it). Got a close look at the interior's many geegaws and noted the OP had installed the under-dash air conditioner - on the passenger side door panel. <_< Goes nicely with the upside-down fan belt!

Edited by ChrisBcritter