Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

I bought this kit years ago. Having recently had problems with paint (+masking) or lack of it I found a spray can of gun-metal grey I popped this out of the box.

photo-vi.jpg

As I have no white matt or gloss at present, to get the white strip along the body I cut off the excess/margin of white decal paper having used it to print other decals.

photo1-vi.jpg

I've also finished the interior, the neon roll cage is perhaps not factory colour but...

photo-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 1

Friction-fit nearly all of the AMT version of the 1928 Lincoln Sport Touring phaeton's luggage rack together and accomplished the critically important trick of making it stay together … because that was the only way to be assured that the 2 mounting tabs on the back brackets would line up with locating holes in the rear frame crossmember when the whole assembly is finally glued together. Did that by touching tiny brushfuls of MEK to the joining bits, capillary action pulls that solvent in. Had to cheat on the friction fit by first gluing the 2-piece folding horizontal section together a couple of days earlier and then putting a weight on it to keep it completely flat (additional brass rods om the crossmember for stronger frame installment later).

What a fiddly process! Could be that back in the day, the MPC version of this kit had crisper-molded pieces that went together easier where it could actually fold and unfold if you skipped gluing it.

1962162873_28rack2.jpg.92e1694e14f4e78f21c15c38f13fe63f.jpg

430973146_28rack.jpg.3813f7dec13e3d7236c98f6c1b09f982.jpg

• Like 1

I recently bought the Airfix Jeep Quicksand Quickbuild. Although a 'Snap-Kit' that goes together very easily, It's just gloss back with red interior parts, I found a few old acrylic paint bottles so painted it as such..

photo-vi.jpg

I hope to finish it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Not TECHNICALLY (at all) model car work, but it’ll have an El Camino parked in front of it eventually…recreating my friend’s bar in NYC in 1:25 as a Christmas gift.  All styrene sheet and bar, aside from the lamps which I 3D printed…

54E98AF0-7D44-4123-A6BC-3252AD898D67.thumb.jpeg.e7047fdb8a3cee987574336cd26568aa.jpeg

She had an Elky at one point, so my idea was to give her the bar this year, and next year’s Christmas gift can be the El Camino.  Her husband owns a cool Harley chopper, so I’ll make that at some point too, plus she owned a old Triumph roadster which I’ve got on her ‘gift list’

• Like 1

Getting close to finishing this rebuilder 69 Firebird. The previous builder had done it with a 70's flair so I went with that. Just tore it down and painted the previously unpainted body. Threw in a 383 from the 69 Nova kit. Just have the rear bumper and radiator hose to install and then the body chrome to do. I didn't try to go overboard on any detail.

Later-

20221127_212508.jpg

20221127_212518.jpg

20221127_212742.jpg