Model Cars Magazine Forum

I Figured Out How Ancient Threads Get Resurrected Onto The Board!

I was looking at the board on my iPhone this morning.  At the bottom of the page are a bunch of ads and links.  Some of those links, including a photo, are to threads on this board.  I clicked on one about a 1965 Chevy Biscayne and saw that it was from 2014, and the last post on it was from 2014!  

So I imaging folks are doing the same, not noticing how old these threads are (with their broken photo links!) and are commenting. That brings the post back to the top of the board.

If one actually stops to consider the reams of information so easily accessible in some non-current threads and how advantageous it is to be able to reactivate as necessary, there might be a lot less moaning about it...

but without a chance to moan and b about things, some would just have to go elsewhere :rolleyes::D

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was looking at the board on my iPhone this morning.  At the bottom of the page are a bunch of ads and links.  Some of those links, including a photo, are to threads on this board.  I clicked on one about a 1965 Chevy Biscayne and saw that it was from 2014, and the last post on it was from 2014!  

So I imaging folks are doing the same, not noticing how old these threads are (with their broken photo links!) and are commenting. That brings the post back to the top of the board.

All I'm seeing is Real Estate ads. One of them was local but all the others are for another state including New York. Nothing against New York but I've just have never been there. 

I usually see the thread links at the bottom of my mobile view. I look, as I recognize some. Agree there's great stuff in them, have to use Google to find links better here though. Don't really see on my laptop. I use Chrome browser on PC, and iPhone resident browser on phone. 

I wasn't complaining earlier if anyone took it that way. I was just getting a laugh about Casey, who is a font of knowledge, and brings older threads to life when stuff is reissued. Gotta love the guy. Anyway, if more people looked, they'd learn a ton. Less drama in older threads too, mostly. 

22 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

Ironically, on some other forums people have complained about new posts being made, when one should reply to one of the long-running threads already open.

People on the Internet will complain about anything and everything (and I'm sometimes guilty of that too).

I don't mind (and actually prefer) if someone has a question or a statement related to some topic already covered in the past that they bring the topic back and continue the thread.

But some people  seem to randomly bring back a really, really old topic, just to post "good job", "looks good", "good idea", or some other similar comment that does not add any value to the old thread.  Kind of "out of the blue" or "out in left field" comments. I think you know what I mean. We all seen them. Those types of topic resurrections are IMO irksome.

I do a bunch of Google searches for car pics related to one of my current builds, often when I click on a picture it will bring up old threads.

Often when doing a search using the "site:modelcarsmag.com  (what you want to find)"   (so I don't have to receive any guff about not searching before I ask a question feedback)  It will bring back old threads

I just don't respond to the threads 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind reading old threads, or people starting new threads.  What I don't like is when someone starts a new thread and someone chastises them the information is in old threads and they should go search for it.  Boards like this are interactive and people do like to ask and receive information in real time. Especially since if someone answers my question I can go back and converse with them for more information.   That's why it's called "Social Media"!  

And note that information changes over time.  If I went to look at a five year old thread, there may be better answers to my problem today like Molotov pens and other new items.   Also, a kit may have since been reissued,  a resin kit may have been created... you get it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I don't mind reading old threads, or people starting new threads.  What I don't like is when someone starts a new thread and someone chastises them the information is in old threads and they should go search for it.  Boards like this are interactive and people do like to ask and receive information in real time. Especially since if someone answers my question I can go back and converse with them for more information.   That's why it's called "Social Media"!  

And note that information changes over time.  If I went to look at a five year old thread, there may be better answers to my problem today like Molotov pens and other new items.   Also, a kit may have since been reissued,  a resin kit may have been created... you get it!

How about having it both ways: Searching for and resurrecting the old thread, adding the current questions to that thread, then have others in-the-know adding the appropriate new info as needed?  Do we really need 20 different thread about selecting an airbrush, or stripping paint?

And I don't think of the online forum as "social media". Just an old fashion online forum. your tongue Tom! ;)

Edited by peteski