Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not sure what to call this...

Sam I Am

I took part in a CB on another board years ago and thought It was pretty cool. You and another member team up with identical kits. You take the body and any other pieces that need to be painted body color.....paint them, trim them, decal them, have a completely finished body, and mail it to the other member who does the same with his. You build the rest of the kit yourself and when you are finished you have a model on your shelf that, by outward appearance, is from another modeler.  I think it really pulls the community together and builds friendships.

Anybody in?

Sounds fun! I've seen simular Community builds like this before. I've been known for pre-detailing and gifting kits to my non-modeler friends just to see how they turn out... (All they have to do is glue it)  I give them tips and encourage them to squirt glue onto a flat surface and use a toothpick to apply it to the model... with some good results too. 

I'd split a kit with ya... Pick a kit and I'll see if I have it or can get it. BTW...My decals arrived, Thanks again!

Glad to hear the decals arrived safely. 

Ok, here is a short list of kits I have that I do not have plans for. lol

Revell 50 Olds Custom

Revell 57 Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon

AMT 70 Super Bee

Revellogram 1960 Impala hardtop 

AMT 62 Buick Electra 225

Revell Jeep Honcho

MPC 1986 Elcamino SS

Also have a  Revell 66 Chevy Suburban coming in the mail this week. 

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Revell 50 Olds Custom

Revell 57 Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon

There's been one of those 50 Olds Customs on the shelf at my local Hobby shop I know for at least a year... I thought about buying it numous times I'm gonna get it next time I go... if it's still there Lol 

I have the 57 Ranch Wagon though. No real plans for it either. The rest of those kits I could get no problem.  I have a buddy who has around 6,000 kits in his basement.  Plus my town is headquarters to Model car Mountain, if you ever shopped eBay yo probably heard of it... Matt's a good friend of mine... makes 6 figures a year salary from selling models in the eBay store... 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:14 PM, LL3 Model Worx said:

I'd be down for doing this with someone... it would be too cool!!

If nobody else joins in, I will  be happy to do a second build with you. If there is anything in my list above that you already have, let me know.

7 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

If nobody else joins in, I will  be happy to do a second build with you.

I was about to say that too... I thought more folks would be interested. It's not really a leap of faith, your getting what you give accentually...

For me the mystery and suspense of what it will become is the appeal.

8 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

If nobody else joins in, I will  be happy to do a second build with you. If there is anything in my list above that you already have, let me know.

I appreciate that.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the kits on your list... wich is bizarre considering my stash lol.

29 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I was about to say that too... I thought more folks would be interested. It's not really a leap of faith, your getting what you give accentually...

For me the mystery and suspense of what it will become is the appeal.

Yea that's what strikes me as well.