Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Torino Cobra

yellowsportwagon

43 minutes ago, bbowser said:

Great paint job!  I really need to step up my game.  What is your method of choice?

I paint all my stuff the same. I get my body work done. I never use Tamiya or any of the other single part putties in a tube. They all shrink. They are lacquer based . Lacquer shrinks. I use Evercoat glazing putty. If used properly no shrinkage. I then put one coat of lacquer primer on the body. Only because it adheres to  model plastic better than my auto primer. Then I put 1-2 coats of 2kprimer on and allow to dry. Sand with 600. I now put a 2k sealer primer on. Thin coat. Then I use waterborne basecoat. Put all my colors on. Follow this by one thin coat of 2k clear if putting decals on. If no decals are involved I put a second coat on and call it done. If decalling I allow the 1 coat to dry and add my decals. Allow them to dry overnight and reclear the following day one to two more thin coats. I only normally sand any dirt nibs out. I don’t sand and polish the whole thing. No need if it’s painted correctly. The 2k lays like glass. Plus sanding to much always opens a can of worms for me.

Edited by yellowsportwagon

22 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

I paint all my stuff the same. I get my body work done. I never use Tamiya or any of the other single part putties in a tube. They all shrink. They are lacquer based . Lacquer shrinks. I use Evercoat glazing putty. If used properly no shrinkage. I then put one coat of lacquer primer on the body. Only because it adheres to  model plastic better than my auto primer. Then I put 1-2 coats of 2kprimer on and allow to dry. Sand with 600. I now put a 2k sealer primer on. Thin coat. Then I use waterborne basecoat. Put all my colors on. Follow this by one thin coat of 2k clear if putting decals on. If no decals are involved I put a second coat on and call it done. If decalling I allow the 1 coat to dry and add my decals. Allow them to dry overnight and reclear the following day one to two more thin coats. I only normally sand any dirt nibs out. I don’t sand and polish the whole thing. No need if it’s painted correctly. The 2k lays like glass. Plus sanding to much always opens a can of worms for me.

Could you please tell me how you use the Evercoat glazing putty? Or, just as directed.  I’m tired of the Tamiya tube putties myself, and am looking for an alternative. 
Your paint looks fantastic. Can’t wait to see more. 

2 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Could you please tell me how you use the Evercoat glazing putty? Or, just as directed.  I’m tired of the Tamiya tube putties myself, and am looking for an alternative. 
Your paint looks fantastic. Can’t wait to see more. 

Use as directed allow to fully cure before sanding. Make sure body is sanded with 180 where putty will be applied. Make sure mold release is cleaned off before doing anything to a body.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 5:00 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

So, what brand and  kind of paint do you use? 

That is really outstanding!. The separation and pinstriping  are perfect. One of my two top favorite liveries of all time and while the '70 Torino turned out not to be "shaped by the wind", as the ad said, it did make one fine looking race car.

John

I found a rather interesting alternative to auto pinstriping tape. I found this by accident online. It is 1 mm tape made for striping fingernails! I got 15 rolls of different colors for about 5 bucks on EBAY after I bought some at Ulta Beauty. They recommend covering it with nail top coat so I bet you can clear over it.

nail tape.jpg